Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrykeegan

Enjoyed every minute of it. It was funny to see them carrying trays of beer and smoking like troopers. f**k me the fights were savage. Only one of the boks had a bad word to say about them.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 10, 2009, 11:04:17 AM
Enjoyed every minute of it. It was funny to see them carrying trays of beer and smoking like troopers. f**k me the fights were savage. Only one of the boks had a bad word to say about them.

some of the belts that were thrown in the 2nd test were unreal . That was a very funny story about willie John mc bride and Bennett and how willie was carrying him back to his hotel room because he hurt his knee and had a few pints on board next thing they heard a lion and Willie John took off leaving bennett there saying every man for himself  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

gerrykeegan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2009, 11:13:34 AM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on June 10, 2009, 11:04:17 AM

some of the belts that were thrown in the 2nd test were unreal . That was a very funny story about willie John mc bride and Bennett and how willie was carrying him back to his hotel room because he hurt his knee and had a few pints on board next thing they heard a lion and Willie John took off leaving bennett there saying every man for himself  :D

When Willie John took off didnt Bennett say he was still on his back and then cracked his head off a branch of  a tree and when he fell down he heard WJ say everman for himself! It;s a pity some of the footage was so poor. I would lliked to have seen the scrum where the Lions won it against the head by the hooker using his head!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

screenexile

Finally a try god the Lions have been all over the Sharks for 25 mins. A better defensive unit than they've faced yet but execution hasn't been great for the Lions. Still struggling at times with the breakdown though which is a worry.

tyroneboi

O'Gara loves his cross kicks!

Lions should have scored maybe 3 or 4 tries by now. Just cant seem to finish off their moves at the minute.

Donnellys Hollow

Poor enough show so far. Owned the ball but only up by 4.

Phillips is far too ponderous at the breakdown and ROG doesn't look like recapturing his best form anytime soon.

How on earth did Adam Jones get selected for this tour?? He's usually useful enough in the scrum but apart from that he offers absolutely nothing. I have my doubts about Lee Mears as well. His darts are on the money but he'll get blown away physically by the Boks. The ball he let go straight through the tunnel of the scrum when the Lions were camped on their five metre line is an absolutely criminal error from a hooker. I have a feeling Flannery is going to be badly missed come the tests.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

screenexile

Bit harsh on Mears I thought his throwing has been good, he's made some great runs and even got on the end of a try. At the minute he's on my test squad. Thought Jenkins was getting taken to the cleaners in the scrum but aapparently Kaplan isn't reffing it properly. Whoever understands what goes on in a scrum is a very wise man!

Fitzgerald looks sharp and much better than Williams at this stage!

Roger

Quote from: screenexile on June 10, 2009, 07:06:38 PM
Bit harsh on Mears I thought his throwing has been good, he's made some great runs and even got on the end of a try. At the minute he's on my test squad. Thought Jenkins was getting taken to the cleaners in the scrum but aapparently Kaplan isn't reffing it properly. Whoever understands what goes on in a scrum is a very wise man!

Fitzgerald looks sharp and much better than Williams at this stage!
Agree.  Williams isn't in any sort of form to deserve a test place. Even if he had a decent game prior to selecting the Test team there is no consistency and he would be a risk.  Sounds strange to be saying that as I thought he was almost guaranteed prior to the tour.  Fitzgerald or Moyne for me.

DennistheMenace

Fitzgerald for me, been treated badly imo playing out of position in previous games but looked very good tonight.

screenexile

Very worried about the amount of turnovers at the breakdown tonight. We haven't got a Neil Back or QUinlan even to boss that area for us and it looks like we will continue to struggle there. Was impressed by Heaslip tonight and I think his 2 performances have him as the standout 8 for the Test. Roberts and O'Driscoll again did well with Lee Mears impressing me as well. Still wouldn't fancy the task of picking a Test team. There will be some tough/close calls to make for that!

DennistheMenace

O'Driscoll sure has lost a good amount of his pace, didn't trust himself at all for that interception, still an exceptional character and  test player.

Rav67

Do seem a bit weak at the breakdown - could Martyn Williams get a chance on the test team?  He's a good ball-winner anyway.

C_Berg_316

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 10, 2009, 11:55:47 PM
O'Driscoll sure has lost a good amount of his pace, didn't trust himself at all for that interception, still an exceptional character and  test player.

thought if o'driscoll hada angled his run with a few changes of direction he would scrored that breakaway interception try - running in a straight line made it easier to get tackled - ill have to pass on this wisdom to the great man himself.... :D
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

ludermor

Ryan Jones gone already!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8097774.stm

If he was concussed in the States how were they allowed to bring him on tour?

The GAA

Picks up his 40k and all the gear anyway. leamy will get the shout after the first test i'd say.