U2

Started by 5 Sams, February 07, 2009, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2009, 08:20:58 PM
Listened to the album for the 1st time this evening. Usually U2 songs grow on me with time so anything I remotely like straight away probably will end up on my favourites playlist.

1. No line on the Horizon. Very good start. Sounds like a heavier more electric Arcade Fire song.
2. Magnificent. Not sure if it's magnificent but it is definitely worth downloading as a single for those who wouldn't want the album.
3. Moment of Surrender. The intro reminds me a bit of 'You're So Cruel' but the vocals sound like Bono imitating Arcade Fire. I don't recall him sounding like that before. Still, I like it & it will go straight onto my favourites.
4. Unknown caller. Edge intro somewhere between 'I still haven't found' and 'All that you can't leave behind' . Almost like the anthems of old in the chorus but I might need to listen to it more.
5. I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight. I didn't think much of 'Elevation' when I heard it first but it took on a new life on stage. This could be one of those songs, I think it would sound very good live.
6. Get on your boots. We know this one. Starts with a great Clayton bass line but seems to get lost about a minute in. This isn't really growing on me.
7. Stand up comedy. Sounds a bit like a 70s stadium rock song. I really like it and think it would be class live. Big Edge guitar in this one.
8. FEZ-Being born. And now for something completely different. The 1st minute is a bit like a Radiohead experiment, the second minute changes direction and sounds like a U2 experiment. I really can't make up my mind on this one.
9. White as snow. A pseudo ballad/hymn. Melody sounds a bit dodgy at the start but as usual it grows on you. Lyrics only for U2 extremists: "Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not".
10. Breathe. Something completely different again. Lots of guitar and simple melody. Very good though.
11. Cedars of Lebanon. When I saw the name I thought it would be a lecture but it is not. Some will probably think this is the best song on the album, but not me. Probably the weakest.

I am unashamedly a U2 fan so my opinion is obviously biased but after 1 sitting I think it is very good. It usually goes up in my estimation after that. Already I want to go back and listen to 4 or 5 of the songs again straight away which is a good sign I suppose.

'Get on your Boots' was a very odd song to choose as a single off this album. I would rate it about 9th or 10th on the album.

Don't like it I have to say. Should release another greatest hits album and leave it at that. Once you get beyond 7/8 albums its inevitable you start rehasing old material and thats what I think here. Its not a bad album but like Spingsteen's new one, its not one I'll remember.

Maguire01

Thought the first song on Jonathan Ross tonight, Breathe, sounded pretty good on first listen. Bono acting the c**k as usual with his walkabout amongst clearly uncomfortable audience members!

INDIANA

Thats not a bad song at all and gets better the more you listen to it. Get on Your boots is painful shite though.

5 Sams

Quote from: INDIANA on February 27, 2009, 11:52:03 PM
Thats not a bad song at all and gets better the more you listen to it. Get on Your boots is painful shite though.

On the money!
The Aristocrat Years

Maguire01

You have to wonder, if there are better tracks on the album, what bright spark thought 'boots' was the best choice for lead single?

Tony Baloney

They're on the Culture Show Uncut on bbc2 now.

mountainboii

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 28, 2009, 12:10:55 AM
You have to wonder, if there are better tracks on the album, what bright spark thought 'boots' was the best choice for lead single?

It doesn't sound like a 'U2 song', so it might attract people who previously would have dismissed them. I'd say thats the thinking.

INDIANA

failed miserably then so. I can't finad anyone who likes that song. Sounds like it was recorded in some one's kitchen.

mountainboii

I half like it  :-\

muppet

http://www.hotpress.com/5272388.html

In the HMV vote for your favourite U2 song 'Bad' doesn't even make the top 25!
Get on your boots comes in at 21.
There is obviously no accounting for the pleb factor. ::)

1. One (20.1%)
2. With Or Without You (15.2%)
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (10.0%)
4. Beautiful Day (7.9%)
5. Where The Streets Have No Name (7.7%)
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday (7.0%)
7. Pride (In The Name Of Love) (5.1%)
8. Sweetest Thing (4.0%)
9. I Will Follow (3.4%)
10. New Year's Day (2.9%)
11. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (2.3%)
12. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (2.1%)
13. Walk On (2.0%)
14. The Fly (1.6%)
15. Angel Of Harlem (1.5%)
16. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (1.3%)
17. Mysterious Ways (1.2%)
18. Even Better Than The Real Thing (1.1%)
19. Elevation (1.0%)
20. Desire (1.0%)
21. Get On Your Boots (0.9%)
22. When Love Comes To Town (0.8%)
23. The Saints Are Coming (0.5%)
24. Vertigo (0.4%)
25. Window In The Skies (0.3%)
MWWSI 2017

Minder

The Sweetest Thing? WTF
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Eoghan Mag

I bought the new Bell X1 CD instead of U2's one this weekend. Is it worthwhile getting any of the special edition No line on the Horizon releases?

Maguire01

What's the new BellX1 album like? I didn't like the last one as much as Music In Mouth.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

3000 miles away

U2 are brillant, bono is a tool, is it true he burned the tri-colour in germany years ago.