The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Keals on January 06, 2011, 02:56:46 PM
Just one thing. Liverpool are owned by NESV not FSG. NESV own FSG.

Well that changes everything, Steve Staunton is obviously the man for the job.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: Keals on January 06, 2011, 02:56:46 PM
Just one thing. Liverpool are owned by NESV not FSG. NESV own FSG.

Thats that cleared up then and explains the delay in sacking Roy.

Keals

Funny guys hi. Its a bad state of affairs when some 'fans' dont know who own the club. Was just pointing out a common misconception thats all.

woy the clown

Lads, we could discuss the pros and cons of any manager, bottom line is woy has to go, and has to go now, he's tried his best and failed, now, who is best suited to come in and do a job, i don't know, but i think that the owners will have to act swiftly and try to bring a conclusion to the situation before the month of January is over and we are involved in a relegation battle

brokencrossbar1

MON is not the man to bring Liverpool where they need to go.  I personally believe that with this season being a right off then they need to steady the ship out for the rest of the season.  The 2 games in hand, if won(and that is a big if) take Liverpool to a bit of a comfort zone.  The options that are open are this in my view

1.  Leave RH where he is till the end of the season, tell him that is the only thing he has and will be gone in the summer and that he has 6 months to save his reputation. He will have no input in the Jan transfers and will have to work with what he is given.  That leaves it very clear to him that he will be gone and he has the chance to retrieve himself.  in the interim appoint the CEO and trail the manager network for the right man to take the club to the level the owners expect.

2.  They could sack RH now and appoint someone on the hoof without really doing the background work into who it is.  Risky as it could work out, but may not.

3.  Sack him and appoint Daglish as caretaker but make it clear to him that he is simply the caretaker to keep it ticking over until the end of the season.  He may not want that and while it would go down well with the fans he has been so long out of the running of a club that it might be too much for him.  Things have changed a lot since he was manager.

4.  Sack him and give Rafa a 6 month "trial".  He is available, loves the club, would have the respect of most fans, would hold the respect of a few key players, and knows how to win in a scrap.  Carra and Gerard would not be happy.  A lot of baggage too and may find it hard to work with DOFS. 

Scenario 1 I dread as I thing RH is on the verge of breaking the club and will put the club development back years.  He has disgraced the club in his managing of the whole thing that the name and reputation of the place are badly tarnished.  they are still a plum job for an ambitious manager but would ambitious players want to come to Anfield if there is no way any ambitious players will come to Anfield if there is no European football nor any prospect of it.

Scenario 2 I would worry about as well as they would be giving a manager a 4-5 year contract without doing their home work.  It would see someone tied up in a contract with no guarantees for the club.  I know there is always this risk but if they took time to get the right CEO in so that the new manager was appointed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Scenario 3 is good if Daglish accepts that he is there on the interim period and that he is actually up to the job.

Scenario 4 is preferable to 1 and 2 and on a par with 3 as there is no long term tie in.  Either of 3 or 4 would be preferrable to where the club is now.

heganboy

the most damning statement I have heard in a while on the bbc:

Tottenham and Liverpool are both interested in signing Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor on loan. The Eastlands side would prefer to send the Togo striker to Anfield rather than risk him finding form with Spurs, a potential rival for a Champions league spot.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Maiden1

The manager is getting a lot of stick, what about the players?

Stevie G has a couple of class touches a match but most of the time he is trying to pass the ball 50 yards between 3 defenders and gives the ball away, I don't think his fitness is great either.  Torres spends 1/2 a season either injured or not quite at his best as he is coming back from an injury.  The team needs rebuilt as much as they need a new manager.  Benitez was doing well to have Liverpool near the top most seasons with the squad they have.  They should have sold Torres for 80 million or whatever silly money City where looking to pay when United sold Ronaldo and Gerrard to Chelsea when they wanted to buy him for big money.  Then spent the money on 5 or 6 really good players so that they had a better overall squad.

I'm generally a big fan of Benitez but in the last year or so he spent £40 million on Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani.  That has to go down as 2 of the worst transfers by any team ever.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Bingo

Quote from: Maiden1 on January 06, 2011, 03:24:01 PM

I'm generally a big fan of Benitez but in the last year or so he spent £40 million on Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani.  That has to go down as 2 of the worst transfers by any team ever.

Aquilani has been Juve must impressive player this season and forced his way back into the Italian squad. May well have overpaid for him and he may struggle in the EPL but he does have quality and is proving that now that he is fit. I'd have prefered to keep him this year than pay 5m for Poulsen.

Johnson was overpriced but it was at the time that City started throwing silly money around and they wanted Johnson as well so he price was matched. He has his moments but not often enough, his last 12 months have been very disappointing.

GalwayBayBoy

Aquiliani has been brilliant for Juventus this season. He just needed a run free from injuries which he is only getting now. Whether his style would be as effective in the Premier League is another thing. Johnson no doubt has been a massive disappointment. Hasn't been anything like the player he was at Portsmouth.

Geoff Tipps

Stevie G has a couple of class touches a match but most of the time he is trying to pass the ball 50 yards between 3 defenders and gives the ball away, I don't think his fitness is great either.  Torres spends 1/2 a season either injured or not quite at his best as he is coming back from an injury.  The team needs rebuilt as much as they need a new manager.  Benitez was doing well to have Liverpool near the top most seasons with the squad they have.  They should have sold Torres for 80 million or whatever silly money City where looking to pay when United sold Ronaldo and Gerrard to Chelsea when they wanted to buy him for big money.  Then spent the money on 5 or 6 really good players so that they had a better overall squad.

I'm generally a big fan of Benitez but in the last year or so he spent £40 million on Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani. That has to go down as 2 of the worst transfers by any team ever.

When United sold Ronaldo we had just finished runners up to them in the league. If Rafa had sold Torres that summer he would have been lynched.

Maiden1

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 06, 2011, 03:43:20 PM

I'm generally a big fan of Benitez but in the last year or so he spent £40 million on Glen Johnson and Alberto Aquilani. That has to go down as 2 of the worst transfers by any team ever.

When United sold Ronaldo we had just finished runners up to them in the league. If Rafa had sold Torres that summer he would have been lynched.

It would have been a big call but United selling Ronaldo was as well.  It would have bought Benitez time and given him a chance to rebuild the squad.  They were kind of putting all there eggs in 1 basket relying on Torres being fit for a whole season.  I don't think Benitez ever believed all the hype with Gerrard and would have been happy for him to go to Chelsea for the right price.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 06, 2011, 03:58:11 PM
You'd imagine if anything was gonna happen today it would have happened by now..
a  stay of execution for another while yet
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 06, 2011, 03:58:11 PM
You'd imagine if anything was gonna happen today it would have happened by now..

Rumours are that they are meeting today to decide but the will be no announcement.  the fact that there has been no backing from the owners at all would be the biggest indicator that he is gone bar the shouting but when and who replaces him is the €64,000 question.

Minder

Quote from: Maiden1 on January 06, 2011, 03:54:34 PM

It would have been a big call but United selling Ronaldo was as well.  It would have bought Benitez time and given him a chance to rebuild the squad.  They were kind of putting all there eggs in 1 basket relying on Torres being fit for a whole season.  I don't think Benitez ever believed all the hype with Gerrard and would have been happy for him to go to Chelsea for the right price.

Regardless of what MUTV, also known as Ross4life in these parts, will tell you, Utd had no say in whether Ronaldo was sold, only how much they would get for him.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Maiden1 on January 06, 2011, 03:54:34 PM

Ronaldo wanted to go. Torres didn't.