The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

Lambert could be a similar type of signing to that of Teddy Sheringham to Utd back in the day. Both played in the lower leagues , had a bit of success in the top flight, and then moved on to a " big" club.
Teddy was 31/32 when he joined Utd, similar type of role playing a bit part behind the 2 main front men. Hopefully works out as well for Lambert......

Never beat the deeler

Sligtly different in that Sheringham was 22 when he reached the top flight, Lambert was 30!
Hasta la victoria siempre

thebigfella

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 03, 2014, 04:03:33 AM
Sligtly different in that Sheringham was 22 when he reached the top flight, Lambert was 30!

Plus Sheringham was in a different class and well Lambert is average enough; reminds me a bit of Kevin Phillips. Strange signing in my opinion.

Bensars

I think its great business. £4 million for a back up striker is peanuts. And despite his age, i would imagine he will maybe only play bit parts in games. Also allows rest for Suarez and Sturridge with the European demands also.

In the current transfer market, its for nothing and allows whatever additional funds to be allocated where more needed.

DuffleKing

This is a very odd signing. certainly lambert will have no problem sitting on the bench as has been said - that's where he sat most of this season til JR got injured.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 03, 2014, 10:04:08 AM

This is a very odd signing. certainly lambert will have no problem sitting on the bench as has been said - that's where he sat most of this season til JR got injured.

???

He played 37 times for Southampton in the PL this season
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

God14

I suppose you need 4 decent strikers in your squad if you want to compete in the league, Europe plus the two domestic cups. Id be more than happy with Lambert as fourth choice striker. We desperately need to flog Aspas and Borini. Sunderland seem interested in Borini & it looks like we will get our money back - £11M ish fees been quoted in the press.
Aspas is still well regarded in Spain, he just hasn't settled & isn't suited to the English game. If we could get say £4M for him we'd be doing well.

Id love us to go for Loic Remy. Available for £8M. Not unlike Sturridge in his playing style. Sturridge will miss 15+ games each season with niggles & injuries so Remy would slot straight in. He has proved himself in the premier league now.

If we were to end up with 4 strikers of Suarez, Sturridge, Remy & Lambert sure we'd all be delighted. There will be quite a lot of in's & outs in the Liverpool squad before August 31st.

redhandloo

Don't see how Lambert is an odd signing at all.
when we were chasing the game against Chelsea, BR was forced to bring Aspas on as an attacking option.  I can't forget his corner!! Gary McAllister arrived to anfield at 30+ and was a revelation. £4m is worth the risk.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

God14

Quote from: redhandloo on June 03, 2014, 10:24:40 AM
Don't see how Lambert is an odd signing at all.
when we were chasing the game against Chelsea, BR was forced to bring Aspas on as an attacking option.  I can't forget his corner!! Gary McAllister arrived to anfield at 30+ and was a revelation. £4m is worth the risk.

What your saying is correct. I think a lot of supporters, on the back of last season & the increased CL revenue, were expecting a bigger name that's all.
Lets wait and see who else comes in & who goes between now and the end of the transfer window is my answer.

AZOffaly

Odd is the wrong word, but it's hardly the inspiring signing we were expecting and looking for. Of course more will come, and may well fall into that category. If they do, then Lambert's signing will just be a footnote, but will be a very useful addition. As most people have said, bringing him on instead of Asparagus will be a big net gain.

Walter Cronc

Is Lallana worth 25 mill when it's looking like Chelsea could get Fabregas for 30?

AZOffaly

I wouldn't be gone on Fabregas, so that might be a moot question. English players are always over priced though, and I'd need to see Lallana doing it at Anfield before I'd be convinced. That said, I think defensive positions are far more important this off season, and it would be mildly concerning if 30 million quid is spend on Lallana and Lambert.

Rossie11

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 10:44:48 AM
I wouldn't be gone on Fabregas, so that might be a moot question. English players are always over priced though, and I'd need to see Lallana doing it at Anfield before I'd be convinced. That said, I think defensive positions are far more important this off season, and it would be mildly concerning if 30 million quid is spend on Lallana and Lambert.

In my opinion they only reason they should not go for Fabergas is if they believe their starting midfielders are all better than him!!
To me he would be a great signing. Gerard could be moved back beside Lucas which would then assist the defense without sacrificing the attacking play.
They would still require a center half but If they had the funds for Fabergas they should go for him over Lallana

redhandloo

Defensively are where our frailties lie and therefore where the bulk of our focus should be.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

AZOffaly

If Rodgers wants the same pattern of play, then Fabregas would not fit. Gerrard is already 'back' but as the lone holding midfielder, not as part of a two. The advanced midfielders are Henderson and
Sterling (say) with Coutinho as the #10. I think Lallana could play the Coutinho role, but Fabergas could not play the Henderson or Sterling role. So where would he fit?

Alternatively, you could change formation but that becomes a different discussion, and probably means a 4-2-3-1 or something along those lines, which means Sterling/Henderson/Coutinho or Sturridge losing out.

I just don't see Fabergas there, unless you think he could play the Coutinho role as well?