The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

I think even the most negative and pessimistic Liverpool support has to see they have a real possibility of winning it now. There's only so long you can continue with the "4th was the target" line. Obviously it'll be gutting in the short term if they slip up, but in the long term it means a lot to have them finally challenging again, regardless of how the final few games go.
What's impressing me most is the routineness of some of the victories like United and yesterday. That's the bit that makes me think, maybe we can actually do this. Of course it makes it all the more painfull to be this close and then lose, but at the same time, I'd rather take the chance.

laoislad

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 31, 2014, 12:38:45 PM
I think even the most negative and pessimistic Liverpool support has to see they have a real possibility of winning it now. There's only so long you can continue with the "4th was the target" line. Obviously it'll be gutting in the short term if they slip up, but in the long term it means a lot to have them finally challenging again, regardless of how the final few games go.
What's impressing me most is the routineness of some of the victories like United and yesterday. That's the bit that makes me think, maybe we can actually do this. Of course it makes it all the more painfull to be this close and then lose, but at the same time, I'd rather take the chance.

Whatever happens, this season has been one of the most enjoyable for years. If it all ends with Liverpool finishing 2nd or 3rd you would still have to class it as a very good season,especially coming from a 7th place finish the year before.
Of course the closer Liverpool get to winning it the more disappointing it will be if they don't but isn't it great to see them challenging again.
I feel they have a free shot at it this season as nobody expected it,even if they don't win it I think it will be regarded as a successful league campaign.Next season will be a different story as Liverpool will now be expected to challenge for the title and anything less would be considered a poor season domestically imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Worker

Would you rather they lost the title on goal difference , or by 5/6 points ?

supersarsfields

If their not going to win it, I'd prob prefer it doesn't happen on the last day. That might be a bit too gut wretching!!

But enough talk about losing.

Bensars

They are in the middle of having a free shot at it.

Next year they will have Champions League comittments/pressures.
They are going down the stretch with no other committments
They have had little realistic expectation this year,and to be genuine contenders in a two horse race wouldnt have been expected by the vast majority, that wont be the case next year
If they fail to win, the target has already been achieved- CL next year

EC Unique

Top of the table with 6 games to play! Anything other than the title would have to be disappointing for Liverpool fans. This is a serious chance and a chance and a chance that might not come again for a while.

AZOffaly

brokencrossbar1

It is all bonus territory here at the minute.  I actually think that the players are playing so much freedom that they can play like they did yesterday. They know CL football is moreorless nailed on.  They know that they have exceeded all the expectations for the year and that anything over and above 4th is huge (and let's face it, even 5th would have been huge progress at the start of the season).  The implosions in OT and WHL have assisted but I still think they have simply kicked on massively and I actually think that there was a feeling from the very start that something might happen.  I remember the early games in the league and how 'leggy' they seemed.  The early run of 1-0 wins.  A lot of other teams were buzzing but Liverpool were grinding. I read a few things at the time from people who were reasonably knowledgeable about the training and they were saying that the regime at that shttp://gaaboard.com/board/Smileys/default/wink.giftage was geared to being fit for now.  I think at the time I commented on that here but I couldn't be arsed looking. 

The players and BR have literally been looking at it on a 1 game at a time basis but he slipped a wee bit yesterday by stating the next game was Man City ;).  I would be hoping for a WHU win tonight against Sunderland as that would have them sitting on 37 points and virtually safe from relegation and therefore a lot less to play for at the weekend.  No matter what happens from here on in it has been a helluva ride and maybe, just maybe...

Dinny Breen

QuoteAt least 12 months anyway.

Now now I think you know his point, I agree with him.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

There's much more chirpiness on this thread than down the Stretford End.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 31, 2014, 01:23:04 PM

QuoteAt least 12 months anyway.

Now now I think you know his point, I agree with him.

I know his point, but I don't know if I agree with him. To say they'll never have a better chance assumes that they won't continue to progress, either in terms of players they can buy when they are in the CL, or in terms of the players at the club flourishing even more under a regime and a game plan that suits them. Certainly I would hope they can improve defensively next season. Obviously the CL will be a strain on the squad, but you'd hope and expect that the squad would be supplemented before next season.

Look, it's certainly a good chance for Liverpool this season, but it's ahead of schedule and I don't think it marks the last serious challenge they can make.

brokencrossbar1

The Spurs fan in the bottom corner, lip read him... ;D

'Tha's why we're shit!!!'

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EC Unique on March 31, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
Top of the table with 6 games to play! Anything other than the title would have to be disappointing for Liverpool fans. This is a serious chance and a chance and a chance that might not come again for a while.

I know the temptation is to say this is a flash in the pan from Liverpool but I don't think this team is going away any time soon and will be around for a while yet. Bar them selling Suarez or something which is always possible (but something I don't think will happen this Summer). It's a young side (apart from Gerrard) with a talented young manager and they will strengthen in the Summer. Although so will everyone else.

That said when you are top with 6 games to go you have to go for it.

J OGorman

yourself and other Utd fans keep thinking this season is a flash in the pan..how so? surely the team under Rodgers will continue to grow and develop? Gerrard has another few years left in him and the rest of the squad is young enough. City and Chelsea will continue to spend silly money to bolster their squads, Liverpool, Utd, Spurs and Arsenal to a lesser degree.

If say, Chelsea do not win the league, how much of that is down to offloading top quality strikers and leaving themselves with that cheatin OAP E'too and the continuosly underfiring Torres? Poor management

Gazzler

Source?