Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gazzler

Quote from: EC Unique on February 23, 2014, 08:44:14 PM
Quote from: Bingo on February 23, 2014, 06:57:16 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 23, 2014, 06:25:34 PM
The title talk is amusing ;D

I,ll humour you, explain why?

Just my opinion of course which I realise holds little value here.
Not just in here I reckon  ;D

Bingo

Simply not good enough. Away form is average and now seem to be leaking goals at an alarming rate. I expect City and Chelsea will both take points out of Anfield. Liverpool are playing out of their skin to be in fourth while City and Chelsea are playing poorly yet are still ahead. If one if them find a bit of good playing form they will race away with the title. I expect City will. Liverpool may yet get 3rd but that will be it. Just my opinion of course which I realise holds little value here.

Just to keep it going - away form is only two points worse off than city and three worse off then Chelsea. We've gone to both places and got nothing, that's the only difference between them.

If you'd have said the defence isn't good enough, fair enough, I'd agree but you points above are largely heresay and if, buts and maybe.

EC Unique

Quote from: Bingo on February 23, 2014, 08:58:28 PM

Simply not good enough. Away form is average and now seem to be leaking goals at an alarming rate. I expect City and Chelsea will both take points out of Anfield. Liverpool are playing out of their skin to be in fourth while City and Chelsea are playing poorly yet are still ahead. If one if them find a bit of good playing form they will race away with the title. I expect City will. Liverpool may yet get 3rd but that will be it. Just my opinion of course which I realise holds little value here.

Just to keep it going - away form is only two points worse off than city and three worse off then Chelsea. We've gone to both places and got nothing, that's the only difference between them.

If you'd have said the defence isn't good enough, fair enough, I'd agree but you points above are largely heresay and if, buts and maybe.

I said Liverpool are leaking goals at an alarming rate which more or less is saying the defence is not good enough. A quick look at the away form table and Liverpool are 5th over the last 6 games. Like I said it is just my opinion, but Liverpool are just not good enough to win a league at present. If they have a good transfer window in the summer then next year maybe.

deiseach

So Liverpool cane Everton and Arsenal at home then have a bad day against Swansea, yet it's the Swansea game that will inform how they are likely to play against Citeh and Chelsea when they come to Anfield? You're only as good as your last game is a cliché, not an iron law. I don't think Liverpool are going to win the title. We're likely to still be four points behind someone with one round of games yet. But at least we're having the conversation.

From the Bunker

I agree! They are 4 points off Chelsea at the top. Not a hope in hell!  ;)

laoislad

Since when is getting 3 points considered a bad day?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Quote from: laoislad on February 23, 2014, 09:34:09 PM

Relatively speaking. You can get 3 points and end up getting relegated. And it was definitely a bad day for my heart :o

AZOffaly

How many times over the past 10/15/20 years have those sort of games (Fulham, behind twice; Swansea, throwing away a lead twice) ended up in draws or defeats. Many, many times in my memory. The fact that Liverpool have gutted it out to win both of them is a great sign. Obviously the defence is a problem, and you can't rely on scoring 3 and 4 goals a game every day, but they are sticking at it and getting the rewards at the moment.

Bingo

Regardless of EC trying to make himself feel better, the result was all important. Performance dropped from last few games and somewhat riding our luck. Team looks a bit low on energy, no more so then Suarez. But can rest this week and then have a lovely two weeks before the mancs.

Pack them all off next Sunday for a week in the sun and recharge for the run in.

I don't thinks many actually think we'll the title but we are in the thick of it and should be thinking of it, easiest way to secure the top 4.

laoislad

Quote from: deiseach on February 23, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 23, 2014, 09:34:09 PM

Relatively speaking. You can get 3 points and end up getting relegated. And it was definitely a bad day for my heart :o
Time to get a pacemaker fitted so because I reckon there may be a few more days like today between now and end of season.
Sure isn't it better this way than to fighting Newcastle for 7th spot  ;)

Armamike

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2014, 09:37:57 PM
How many times over the past 10/15/20 years have those sort of games (Fulham, behind twice; Swansea, throwing away a lead twice) ended up in draws or defeats. Many, many times in my memory. The fact that Liverpool have gutted it out to win both of them is a great sign. Obviously the defence is a problem, and you can't rely on scoring 3 and 4 goals a game every day, but they are sticking at it and getting the rewards at the moment.

Pretty much sums it up for me. The defence is ropey and despite some of the sloppy mistakes especially in the last couple of games, which could lead to heads dropping and a bit of self pity kicking in, the team has responded well and have gone on to show a bit of spirit to eke out a win. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: deiseach on February 23, 2014, 09:14:08 PM
So Liverpool cane Everton and Arsenal at home then have a bad day against Swansea, yet it's the Swansea game that will inform how they are likely to play against Citeh and Chelsea when they come to Anfield? You're only as good as your last game is a cliché, not an iron law. I don't think Liverpool are going to win the title. We're likely to still be four points behind someone with one round of games yet. But at least we're having the conversation.
Nice conversation to be having. Assuming this season isn't a pleasant anomaly and CL is secured for next season, then some sound defensive purchases might make for a very interesting 14/15 season.  A lot of "ifs" there  ;D

J70

I don't believe Liverpool are playing out of their skins at all, games like the Arsenal and Everton ones aside. They ground out wins against Fulham and Swansea in their past two matches, albeit in high scoring games. Weren't too impressive against West Brom or Villa either.

I do agree with you that Chelsea and City may well get something at Anfield, although I would expect Liverpool to perform much more impressively in those games than they did today. But they're vulnerable to the fast break, which is obviously a strength of City and Chelsea.

supersub

I know you like to come on here and stir it up, but could you contradict yourself much more in that post? Average away form and leaking goals is hardly playing out of their skin in my book. So which is it? Playing out of your skin would mean smashing teams possession wise, scoring a bucket full of goals and cleaning up defensively - yet you have said Liverpool aren't doing the latter. I agree it's clear to see the defense is far from solid and leaking goals, but the offensive play is top class and they are showing a drive and determination to keep going to get an equaliser/winner in games when needed and have been very good at executing that over the last while. This is something which has been missing for a long time, we never had the balls to grind out a result when it was tight whether it be 0-0 or 3-3.

The next few games will tell a tale, however they would be worth a lot less if we had only picked up 2 points from the last 2 games as we would be closer to Spurs/Utd than the top three. I don't think Liverpool will win the league, I think it's asking too much for three teams above them (one with a game in hand) to slip up with the amount of games remaining. As for City and Chelsea at Anfield, they may well get something who knows, but City especially were very lucky to come away from the home fixture with 3 points, and given their own scoring exploits our defense did alright on that day.

Talk of Sahko and Allen coming in is a bit premature. Allen hasn't had a good game (apart from yesterday) for a long time so I would be hesitant to put him in the first xi over the next few crucial games when we have a midfield which is performing well at the moment. Sahko is stil unproven, and I am yet to be convinced he is better than Agger or Skrtel - seemed very rash when in the team at the start of the season, an all or nothing type in the tackle. Still will be good to get a look at him, but again it means changing the back 4, we need a solid and sustained cb partnership to build a defence around.

laoislad

That's 5 games now without a goal from Suarez.
5 games in which Liverpool have scored 14 goals.
Liverpool are a one man team they said.... If Suarez loses form Liverpool are fecked they said...