The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

You'll find no shortage of people (friend or foe) saying Gerrard is past it. I think we're about to find out. Oh, and surely we can come up with a better captain in the absence of Gerrard and Agger than Glen bleedin' Johnson!

*looks through squad*

Oh Jesus...

Fuzzman

I just don't get the big interest in Shane Long. The odd time he scores a great goal but his goal return in the premier league isn't great. If ye can't keep yer place in a West Brom team it can't be good.

West Brom   Premier League   
Season   Played Scored
2011–12   33         8
2012–13   37       11
2013–14   10         3

In 2010 he played 50 games and scored 25 goals for Reading in the championship which was his best season ever.

Will Gerrard be back for the derby at the end of January?

CD

Quote from: deiseach on December 11, 2013, 04:08:11 PM
You'll find no shortage of people (friend or foe) saying Gerrard is past it. I think we're about to find out. Oh, and surely we can come up with a better captain in the absence of Gerrard and Agger than Glen bleedin' Johnson!

*looks through squad*

Oh Jesus...

Now Deiseach - is this a wee bit of that default fatalism we were chatting about?  :D :D
Just when I was beginning to feel positive too!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

blewuporstuffed

Javier Pastore on loan in January would be a great piece of business and with the world cup coming a move may appeal to him.
GErard & henderson out injured couldnt have came at a worse time, its time for allen to really step up now over the christmas period.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on December 11, 2013, 04:08:11 PM

*looks through squad*

Oh Jesus...

Lets give it to Luis and be done with it, it will see head gaskets blown all over the place in the media and sky, be worth it for that alone.

CD

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 11, 2013, 04:12:36 PM
I just don't get the big interest in Shane Long. The odd time he scores a great goal but his goal return in the premier league isn't great. If ye can't keep yer place in a West Brom team it can't be good.

West Brom   Premier League   
Season   Played Scored
2011–12   33         8
2012–13   37       11
2013–14   10         3

In 2010 he played 50 games and scored 25 goals for Reading in the championship which was his best season ever.

Will Gerrard be back for the derby at the end of January?

He's not going to score a lot of goals but I have seen him occupy two centre halves with his clever running and physicality - imagine the space Suarez would enjoy if he has a selfless lad alongside him! As it is, Suarez is a marked man and Sturridge is still about Sturridge first -he makes runs to get himself into positions, not to create space or opportunities for others.

A Long type player wouldn't be a bad option for us. He's certainly got more to offer than Borini or Aspas and young strikers with PL experience for less than £10million are a rarity. It'd be really nice to see an Irish player in the squad as well!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

deiseach

Quote from: Bingo on December 11, 2013, 04:14:12 PM
Lets give it to Luis and be done with it, it will see head gaskets blown all over the place in the media and sky, be worth it for that alone.

I thought it but I didn't want to be the one to say it.

deiseach

Quote from: CD on December 11, 2013, 04:13:46 PM
Now Deiseach - is this a wee bit of that default fatalism we were chatting about?  :D :D
Just when I was beginning to feel positive too!

I watched the game on Saturday at my cousin's house in the company of a chap for whom every move that didn't end in a goal was a disaster of apocalyptic proportions. I miss going the game on a regular basis, you can retreat into your own bubble in way that you can't do in a living room :(

Mikhailov

No one is saying Long is a world beater but at 6M surely it is worth a go. Aspas and Alberto cost that each and they haven't hit a barn door never mind the net. Also Long is premier league ready, has the experience of it and can hit the ground running. If he scored 10 goals that would be a bonus but a CD has said it is his all round energy up front that caused problems. He is always on the shoulder of the last defender and they hate that - ask JT at Chelsea - Long cleaned him out a few weeks ago. Plus his record suggest a 1/3 goal ratio which is average but would it improve with better players in his supply line - maybe it would.

For 6M or similar it would be a good deal in my opinion.

laoislad

I think Long would be a great bit of business.
Certainly better than Borini or Aspas imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

God14

Id agree with all of that Mikhailov, except playing with the 3 centre backs. I feel we tried that & it failed miserably.

The biggest improvement in LFC since Rodgers came in has been the pressing. People used to talk about Rodgers teams passing the ball for passing sake, but for me the most positive impact he has made to the team is the pressing. Its organised 'zonal' pressing though, not just every man charging round running after the man in possession. They have this '5 second rule'. As a result we are turning the ball over closer to the opposition goal, creating more chances, scoring more goals. Particularly evident at Anfield.
Switching to the 3 Centre backs changes the shape of the team so that we dont press the opposition as high up the field. With the 3 centre backs you could see the opposition defence had much more time & composure on the ball (very evident in the Southampton game at Anfield)
Also good teams (such as Arsenal) were well able to get in behind the wing backs and stretch us there, so we were no more secure at the back anyway.

Fuzzman

Wow I just saw your fixtures over the next few weeks.
Ye sure have a few tough away games starting at Spurs this weekend.

Is Suaraz Chelsea bound or just another rumour?

deiseach

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 11, 2013, 04:57:33 PM
Is Suaraz Chelsea bound or just another rumour?

On his way, straight swap with Torres.

supersub

Shane Long is not the answer. Tired of buying possible/potential/bit part players. Not consistent enough. We need proven Premier League and above quality players whatever the position may be we are looking for. As for Suarez being a marked man....hasn't been marked very well if so. Sturridge was in top form before he was injured and hopefully will be when he returns. You can just disregard these two players like that. We desperately need at least two top end midfielders, not some young prospect from Norway who played well in a couple of u21 games or the like.

Bingo

Quote from: supersub on December 11, 2013, 05:00:44 PM
Shane Long is not the answer. Tired of buying possible/potential/bit part players. Not consistent enough. We need proven Premier League and above quality players whatever the position may be we are looking for. As for Suarez being a marked man....hasn't been marked very well if so. Sturridge was in top form before he was injured and hopefully will be when he returns. You can just disregard these two players like that. We desperately need at least two top end midfielders, not some young prospect from Norway who played well in a couple of u21 games or the like.

This, All this. Shane Long isn't the answer and I even dread to ask the question. A good player but not whats needed, throwing more money away on a player of that level.