How to take a penalty kick

Started by Over the Bar, January 29, 2009, 04:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7857419.stm

Fast forwards to Artur Boruc's penalty on 11mins 40.   Sudden death, goalies have to take their kicks and the Dundee Utd keeper dispatches his, leaving them 10-9 ahead.  If Boruc misses Celtic are out.   Up he steps and hits it like Del Piero into the top corner.   Ballsy hoor!

longrunsthefox

Anyone who can't score from a penalty in soccer should get two weeks in jail. The size of the goals! and 12 yards out...It is ridiculous and the money some of them are on. Summer of 2005  Stephen O'Neill V Dublin and Armagh both in front of 82,000 fans... bang! bang! That's the way to do it!   

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 29, 2009, 04:59:08 PM
Anyone who can't score from a penalty in soccer should get two weeks in jail. The size of the goals! and 12 yards out...It is ridiculous and the money some of them are on. Summer of 2005  Stephen O'Neill V Dublin and Armagh both in front of 82,000 fans... bang! bang! That's the way to do it!  

Not always true - if a 'keeper is agile and guesses the right side the ball is going to (and sometimes its not a guess, the player inadvertently lets him know), then it takes a damn good penalty to beat him.

In Gaelic football its much harder to score a penalty - to the extent that no GAA 'keeper should guess what side the peno is going, because you'll get close to a lot of them if you wait to see where they are going. And the pressure is still always on the kicker
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

thebandit

Cant get it in the south :(

O'Neill's penalties were as clinical as any I've ever seen alright.

nrico2006

SONs were and are always placed right in behind the post by the way he curls it.  The best penalty taker I have seen in soccer is Zidane, his one against England in Euro 2004 curled right in behind the left post, beautiful.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Over the Bar

Soccer goals are 24 feet and gaelic goals 18ft afaik.   The top corner in soccer is unsavable as the keepr will have to throw himself approx 15 feet to get it.

Puckoon

Crossing yourself and burying it in the corner opposite your kicking foot is the only way. Struck well, it will always be moving away from the keeper.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 29, 2009, 05:13:16 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 29, 2009, 04:59:08 PM

Not always true - if a 'keeper is agile and guesses the right side the ball is going to (and sometimes its not a guess, the player inadvertently lets him know), then it takes a damn good penalty to beat him.

In Gaelic football its much harder to score a penalty - to the extent that no GAA 'keeper should guess what side the peno is going, because you'll get close to a lot of them if you wait to see where they are going. And the pressure is still always on the kicker
I took two pennos in soccer and no bother... give me a break...   

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 29, 2009, 04:36:55 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/7857419.stm

Fast forwards to Artur Boruc's penalty on 11mins 40.   Sudden death, goalies have to take their kicks and the Dundee Utd keeper dispatches his, leaving them 10-9 ahead.  If Boruc misses Celtic are out.   Up he steps and hits it like Del Piero into the top corner.   Ballsy hoor!

I was hoping he'd miss  :P
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Watcher Pat

Goalies i would be shooting at will never get within 3 foot of the post in the time the ball gets there.
Professional keepers might..As long as its close to the post you should be ok. Never change your mind on the run up either
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Owenmoresider

RedandGreenSniper

If you can place the ball to hit the inside of the side netting it will be very hard for the keeper to get that. With the curle you get on the ball it makes more sense to shoot across your body. But keepers know this - in a shoot out lads that aren't too confident normally shoot across their body because its more suitable to a blast of an effort. Someone with confidence can sidefoot it into the other corner. That's a general room of thumb
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

brokencrossbar1

Best goalie to hit a penalty is Shane "the Cake" Curran for Roscommon minors!!!

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 29, 2009, 07:48:55 PM
Best goalie to hit a penalty is Shane "the Cake" Curran for Roscommon minors!!!

He was playing outfield that day.
MWWSI 2017