The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Not too many weak teams there. Atletico and Dynamo Kiev fourth seeds? Everyone will be desperate to avoid them.

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161069080827-2322. htm

QuoteLiverpool's progress to the Champions League group stage has come at a cost after Rafael Benitez revealed that Steven Gerrard will undergo a groin operation on Thursday.

The Reds boss admitted it was a blow to lose his skipper but is hopeful he will make a speedy recovery after he played the full 120 minutes of Liverpool's extra-time win at home to Standard Liege.

"I'm disappointed because Gerrard will have an operation tomorrow," he said.

"He has a groin problem. We knew it could be like this and I was surprised when I was reading some of the newspapers saying he has to play and has to start. Now he will have an operation and will be out for 10-15 days.

"It isn't too long but he needs to have it because he has been having pain with it. When he went with the national team we knew he had a problem and in the first-leg too.

"I was talking with the doctor yesterday and today we talked with him (Gerrard). He said he would play with pain and after it he would have an operation.

"He knew he had to keep going tonight and did so because he knew he was having it tomorrow."

el_cuervo_fc

Im heard that on the radio this morning.  Good thing we got Barry in to hold the fort though  :(

Hank Everlast

Is 10 - 15 days not a very short period of recovery for any surgery no matter how small?!?!

stevo-08

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 28, 2008, 01:42:21 AM
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161069080827-2322. htm

QuoteLiverpool's progress to the Champions League group stage has come at a cost after Rafael Benitez revealed that Steven Gerrard will undergo a groin operation on Thursday.

The Reds boss admitted it was a blow to lose his skipper but is hopeful he will make a speedy recovery after he played the full 120 minutes of Liverpool's extra-time win at home to Standard Liege.

"I'm disappointed because Gerrard will have an operation tomorrow," he said.

"He has a groin problem. We knew it could be like this and I was surprised when I was reading some of the newspapers saying he has to play and has to start. Now he will have an operation and will be out for 10-15 days.

"It isn't too long but he needs to have it because he has been having pain with it. When he went with the national team we knew he had a problem and in the first-leg too.

"I was talking with the doctor yesterday and today we talked with him (Gerrard). He said he would play with pain and after it he would have an operation.

"He knew he had to keep going tonight and did so because he knew he was having it tomorrow."

I'd say they knew this op was needed for some time but were waiting for the best time. Obviously gerrard was required to get through to the CL qualifiers and having the op now might mean missing only 1 PL game, the trip to villa. Will miss 2 England games, but who cares about that. He'll just have to be back for the united game on Sept 13th though.

Thank god Masch & Lucas are back for this weekend. The rest of the team need to up their game big time with gerrard gone.

Hank Everlast

I cant see how stevie can go under the knife today and be back in 16 days to play united, its not gunna happen! Lets hope the olympic boys step up.... Reira may also be in the squad for villa so we will see how that goes too!!

Off The Fence

full back

magpie seanie

The way Gerrard played against United last year you should count yourselves lucky he'll miss the game.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 09:54:04 AM
The way Gerrard played against United last year you should count yourselves lucky he'll miss the game.

Go away
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Aye, but Mascherano will take his place. That didn't go so well either :D

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 28, 2008, 10:00:23 AM

Aye, but Mascherano will take his place. That didn't go so well either :D

corn02

Frustrating,frustrating night. Probably were the poorer team over the two legs - but we will do well as usual in the group.

full back

Jammy fcukers as usual in Europe ;)

The scousers are playing complete sh1te & I would honestly fear for them against stronger teams unless they get a few wide man asap, but the bright side for ye lot is you have 6 points from 6 in the league & are in the group stages of the CL
Cant ask for more than that especially as ye havent played well at all

AZOffaly

Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 12:56:41 PM
Jammy fcukers as usual in Europe ;)

The scousers are playing complete sh1te & I would honestly fear for them against stronger teams unless they get a few wide man asap, but the bright side for ye lot is you have 6 points from 6 in the league & are in the group stages of the CL
Cant ask for more than that especially as ye havent played well at all

Spot on. If you told us that would be the story on August 28th, we'd have been delighted.

The problem is that they must improve, and must get their best players on the field, and in their proper positions. Dirk Kuyt is not good enough, Arbeloa looked woeful again, especially defensively, Keane and Torres are not operating as a pair at all yet, although I do think that will come, Benayoun is lightweight, Alonso (who I thought was okay enough) is still not playing very well, and Gerrard is struggling.

If Pepe Reina wasn't playing, we'd probably be 1 point from 6 in the league, and out of Europe.