The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Feel a bit sorry for Finnan alright. He hasn't been treated very well, and while he's getting on he could still do a job for us. Hopefully Degen will prove to be better than he looked in pre-season.

I see Lucas sent off for pole-axing Mascherano yesterday! At least it means he'll miss the 3rd place playoff and come back early. Presumably he doesnt need to hang around for the medal ceremony...

corn02

While me and LL disagree over Arbeloa he is right in that Finnan  has been a superb servant to Liverpool. Last year he looke d a bit out of shape and wasn't at his usual best, but ewither was Alonso. If Finnan does manage to stay, I wouldn't be shocked to see him earn his role back - one of Pool's best transfers in years.

Babel baclk early is a big boost, will offer width on Sat.

new devil

Benitez & Parry hold peace talks 

Benitez  and Parry will work together to strengthen the squad
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez and chief executive Rick Parry have held clear-the-air talks.

Last weekend Benitez revealed his frustration over his perceived lack of boardroom support in trying to sign Gareth Barry from Aston Villa.

"Talks have taken place. It was a positive discussion and we will now move forward together," said Benitez.

Parry told the club's website: "I can confirm we had a friendly and positive meeting and we're moving forward."

Spaniard Benitez has been trying to sign Barry, 27, since April but the club's American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks have baulked at meeting Villa's asking price of £18m.

Last week Liverpool released a statement confirming that, despite being identified by Benitez as a transfer target, the club's hierarchy were unwilling to match Villa's valuation.

The statement said that "this is not about questioning the manager's judgement or the ability of a particular player" - but the issue has rankled Benitez.

Liverpool have been linked with left-sided players including Albert Riera and Stewart Downing.

Any potential Barry transfer has been complicated by his appearance in Villa's Uefa Cup tie against FH Hafnarfjordur last week, which rules him out of playing in the Champions League group stages.

If you's are out of all competions by xmas..do you's think benitez should get the road?

Minder

Quote from: new devil on August 21, 2008, 09:26:36 PM

If you's are out of all competions by xmas..do you's think benitez should get the road?

FA Cup does not start until January for Premiership teams Devil so it is impossoble to be out of all competitions by Christmas.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on August 21, 2008, 09:29:24 PM

FA Cup does not start until January for Premiership teams Devil so it is impossoble to be out of all competitions by Christmas.

Sure new devil is a United fan,They only play in the FA Cup when it suits them
You'll Never Walk Alone.

new devil

If you are happy enough with a FA cup minder thats up 2 you....but what like the last few years you's are out of condention for the league by xmas
and fighting for 4th place with the likes of spurs,everton,aston villa
IMHO Benitez is not the man for the job....but i hope he stays forever  ;) :D

J70

On past form, they should make at least the quarter finals of the champions league, and, like the other English teams, should be among the favourites to go all the way. I doubt if most Liverpool fans give a bollocks about the FA cup or league cup. Even if they do well in those competitions though, if he is way off the pace in the premier league, his job will be under threat. I doubt if many fans think they can win it this year, but I'd say most, and the club itself, would be happy enough if they at least stay in the hunt until April i.e be within five or six points of the leaders. They finished 11 points back last season, but that was after closing a bigger gap towards the end when United were stuttering a bit.

rory

Wow, we got out of jail big time today.  Still think we are well short again this year.  Keane doesn't look up to speed at all yet and we are too reliant on Stevie and Torres.  hope I'm wrong but I'd say we'll struggle to challenge this year.

J70

Fifth minute of injury time! :o :o  ;D

Lovely finish by Gerrard, but a very lucky three points overall.

The Real Laoislad

Apart from the scoreline it's hard to get to excited after watching that woefull display.
Not one Liverpool player played well,I have never seen Alonso and Gerrard give away so much possesion.
We did see a few minor glimpse's of Torres and Keane linking up but as i said it was minor enough..
As the old saying goes a win is a win but I am very dis hearted after watching that,Nothing seems to have changed since last season..
But as the even older saying goes a sign of a good team is one who wins while playing badly,Sure haven't we been watching Man United for years playing awful and pulling it out of the fire in injury time
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

If it is still that bad in a month's time, then I will be worried. You've a new forward partnership (I thought they showed somepromising glimpses - Torres should have buried the one Keane set up for him in the first half), a new left back and a not-fully-fit Gerrard, so its going to take a while to get going. That doesn't mean it will, obviously, but I wouldn't get too disheartened yet. The lack of a threat from out wide is worrying though. Babel has to make his mark this year.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: J70 on August 23, 2008, 05:16:43 PM
If it is still that bad in a month's time, then I will be worried. You've a new forward partnership (I thought they showed somepromising glimpses - Torres should have buried the one Keane set up for him in the first half), a new left back and a not-fully-fit Gerrard, so its going to take a while to get going. That doesn't mean it will, obviously, but I wouldn't get too disheartened yet. The lack of a threat from out wide is worrying though. Babel has to make his mark this year.

With a Champions League game,then Villa away then United coming up we would want to get our arses in gear pretty sharpish
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 23, 2008, 05:20:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 23, 2008, 05:16:43 PM

With a Champions League game,then Villa away then United coming up we would want to get our arses in gear pretty sharpish

True enough.

J70

Carmen Stateside

Its not often Stevie does that! :)
Poor performance overall.  What was up with Alonso today ??? Keane showed signs of improvement which was a plus, still need some width badly!