The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Quotedont want to get into arguments that neither of us can prove, but I could counter that he was brought on at the end of games when the opposition had tired...

If you'd watched La Liga you wouldn't be countering with that.   

Fact is Larsson's biggest strength was that he could change games.   He proved himself at every level and his scoring/assits record speaks for itself.   You don't get spoken of in the 'World Class' bracket by missing 3 out of 4 and Larsson deffo didn't do that.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 02:12:50 PM
Quotedont want to get into arguments that neither of us can prove, but I could counter that he was brought on at the end of games when the opposition had tired...
If you'd watched La Liga you wouldn't be countering with that.   
Fact is Larsson's biggest strength was that he could change games.   He proved himself at every level and his scoring/assits record speaks for itself.   You don't get spoken of in the 'World Class' bracket by missing 3 out of 4 and Larsson deffo didn't do that.
Larsson only changed two games that I can recall. The UEFA cup semi final v boavista and the scots cup final v dunf. (I am not forgetting about the uefa cup final , and while he scored two great goals, he didnt change the game).

Larsson continually missed bagfuls of chances , most notably v rangers almost every time he played against them  - apart from the 6-2 game. Even then he was guilty of fluffing a couple that day.
I think we may as well give up here. You are not going to agree with me on this and vice versa.

I hope Robbie Keane does turn out to be a 'new larsson' - better still if he imporves on his (and larssons) shooting boots.
Thats all I am going to post on this as we have gone off topic.

magpie seanie

I seem to remember Larsson doing ok when he came off the bench in a Champions League final too.

The comparison is a ridiculous one. In terms of chances missed to scored ratio Andy Cole would be more appropriate. Keane a better all rounder than Cole but not as instinctive.

nifan

I like keane, but has he stopped that celebration?

AZOffaly

The ridiculous comparison is Larsson to Rush. I stopped reading when I saw that.

under the bar

QuoteLarsson only changed two games that I can recall. The UEFA cup semi final v boavista and the scots cup final v dunf. (I am not forgetting about the uefa cup final , and while he scored two great goals, he didnt change the game).

I was referring to his ability to change game coming from the bench into the position allocated (wing, striker, off the front 2 etc)  How can you change the game when you play 90 mins??

I can't recall him missing 'bagfuls' v rangers and I was at almost every one of those games.

Yes the comparison with Rush is ridiculous.  Larsson make Rush look like Gary Doherty!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 02:36:11 PM
I like keane, but has he stopped that celebration?

He said he would do it for the forst goal he scores for Liverpool and then that would be that!

Larsson and Rush are not comparable.  Keane and Larsson are not comparable.  Players are generally not comparable and at a time when team is everything, how a player fits into a system will define how effective he is.  I think therefore that Keane will be a success at Liverpool as he is adaptable.

AZOffaly

That's crazy talk under the bar. Ian Rush and Henrilk Larsson are like chalk and cheese. Rush was a pure goal sniffer and a fantastic player in that Liverpool side. Larsson is/was a completely different player.

They'd have made a decent partnership mind.

under the bar

QuoteThat's crazy talk under the bar. Ian Rush and Henrilk Larsson are like chalk and cheese. Rush was a pure goal sniffer and a fantastic player in that Liverpool side. Larsson is/was a completely different player.

They'd have made a decent partnership mind.

AZ I'm not the man who compared the two.  I've said they are different all along & yes they would complement one aother as Larsson would set them on a plate for Rush.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 02:51:14 PM
QuoteLarsson only changed two games that I can recall. The UEFA cup semi final v boavista and the scots cup final v dunf. (I am not forgetting about the uefa cup final , and while he scored two great goals, he didnt change the game).
Yes the comparison with Rush is ridiculous.  Larsson make Rush look like Gary Doherty!

Think you're forgetting how great a goalscorer Rush was. Definitely a better finisher than Larsson ever was although Larsson had more to his game outside the penalty area.

AZOffaly

I thought you said 'He was superior to Rush in every way'.

My mistake if you didn't. Whoever said that is who I should have been addressing earlier on.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2008, 03:00:24 PM
I thought you said 'He was superior to Rush in every way'.

He said

QuoteHe (Larsson) was superior to Rush in every aspect of his game

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 29, 2008, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: under the bar on July 29, 2008, 02:51:14 PM

Think you're forgetting how great a goalscorer Rush was. Definitely a better finisher than Larsson ever was although Larsson had more to his game outside the penalty area.
tackling yes
anything else  ...well I cant think of any...he wasnt too creative outside the box and wasnt a fantastic crosser of the ball, though he did pull wide to collect the ball out of defense

Hound

Quote from: Stalin on July 29, 2008, 01:25:09 PM
Its far from ridiculous Hound- Babel was a 'name' last season because of his performance at either the u21 or u23 Championships with Holland. Ngog has a good record at France U21 level. Most his performances for (the abysmal) PSG last season were as a substitute. A factor in Ngogs' price was that he was entering the last year of his contract.

A c'mon Stalin. 3 goals for the French U21s (against who I wonder?) and can't get into an abysmal PSG team vs a Dutch international.

Over the Bar

QuoteI thought you said 'He was superior to Rush in every way'.

My mistake if you didn't. Whoever said that is who I should have been addressing earlier on.

I meant that I didnt make the initial comparison, Lynchboy did and I and never would consider both as similar.  Lynchboy said that Rush would have scored twice as many as Larsson given the opportunity.  My view is that Larsson was the superior player as Rush was essentially a poacher with not a lot else to his game.