The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteWas shocked when I heard about Fowler & Blackburn.

Ince's transfer dealings could even make Roy Keane's look good!

Captain Black

Quote from: corn02 on July 11, 2008, 10:03:45 AM
Fowler for Baclburn - God could be back in the Premiership.

Btw Insua will make a big impact this year.

Why do you think that Corn? I would like to see him deliver on the potential he has shown, but surely we will only see him fleetingly again this season due to Dossena's arrival? Was there not chat that Insua was offered to Villa as part of the first Barry offer? He looks v good going forward, but has looked shaky defending as well.

Guthrie looks to be on his way to Newcastle, 2m.

magpie seanie

QuoteI for one would be delighted for him

That's terrible. Watching one of your former heros making an eejit of himself as he is patently over the hill would make you happy? Eaten bread.... ;)

bingobus

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2008, 03:04:35 PM

That's terrible. Watching one of your former heros making an eejit of himself as he is patently over the hill would make you happy? Eaten bread.... ;)

Are you worried he'll be pulling the five finger salute again? His record aginst United isn't bad.  ;)

Surprised at the move and I'm sure Robbie himself is. Injuries and weight have taken their toll on him and was sure he'd be happy at home counting his houses at this stage.

Saying that, I'd have himover Voronin any day of any week.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2008, 03:04:35 PM

Your attempts at humor are pretty dire  :D
Yeah why would you be happy for one of the Premierships greatest ever strikers getting a contract at a Premier League club at the ripe auld age of 33 ::)
Aye sure there are no examples of older "over the hill" players " going to clubs and and still turning in a few decent performances,Sure Gary Macallister at Liverpool or Dwight Yorke at Sunderland never happened
He obviously ain't going to play him in every game but i have no doubt the younger players coming through the Blackburn setup will look up to someone like Fowler,And who knows maybe he will take up a coaching job there next season..
I wish him all the best
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2008, 09:45:12 AM
Will his patented "run away from the ball pretending it was a dummy" be the key to ending Liverpools long wait for the title?

Even though Im one of Keane's biggest critics when he plays for Ireland(even though his goal scored tally would prove me wrong) You can't deny his record for Spurs has been excellent over the past few years..23 goals in all competions last year is a decent return for anybody,And if he was playing with someone of the talent of Torres,Gerrard and maybe Barry which he doesn't have at Spurs I believe he would be a excellent player for Liverpool,just the type of player we are looking for actually imho
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 11, 2008, 03:37:48 PM
I believe he would be a excellent player for Liverpool,just the type of player we are looking for actually imho

IMHO LL a strike should not be your main priority
You could do with a few more creative players rather than a finisher

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on July 11, 2008, 04:08:10 PM
I believe he would be a excellent player for Liverpool,just the type of player we are looking for actually imho

Probably why their looking for Barry i would guess! No harm in having another top class striker either though is there
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 11, 2008, 04:13:03 PM

Probably why their looking for Barry i would guess! No harm in having another top class striker either though is there

No harm indeed LL, but if you arent creating the chances it wouldnt matter if you had the Lord himself up front ;)
Liverpool are more than Barry & Keane short of winning the PL

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on July 11, 2008, 04:20:11 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 11, 2008, 04:13:03 PM

No harm indeed LL, but if you arent creating the chances it wouldnt matter if you had the Lord himself up front ;)
Liverpool are more than Barry & Keane short of winning the PL

I believe he has signed for Blackburn  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Will Hunting

Look lads, Liverpool need two decent full-backs, and wingers who can make some sort of an effect on the game. I will reserve judgement on the two new full-backs (Dossena and Degen) until i see them play, but unless they can get up and down the pitch, are comfortable on the ball, capable of overlapping the midfield, and not intent in passing the ball to Gerrard every time they get it, then they are not what we need. Look at what Evra, Cole, Sagna, Clichy etc. offer to their sides.

As for Gareth Barry, as many posters have said, I don't think he will transform Liverpool into a premiership-challenging team (and this is what we want, a team that shows they can at least challenge for the title, before we can think about winning it). Will he be able to offer anything that Xabi Alonso can't?

An earlier poster there is talking about Liverpool needing more creativity, and this is spot on. Players like Pennant and Benayoun aren't good enough. End of story. I reckon Babel has potential, but we will see this season. Chelsea got it wrong last season with Malouda imo. They were missing an extra creative edge (that Robben had previosuly provided), that Ronaldo obviously gave Man utd, and that made the difference. It's a problem Arsenal have also, in that their players are too keen on holding on to the ball and they get narrow. They find it difficult to stretch teams. At the minute, Liverpool don't have the quality required in these positions, and this is evident when you see Dirk Kuyt on the right wing. The absence of such players is particularly noticeable against the other "big 4" teams - the specific games Liverpool need to start winning.

stevo-08

Crouch gone for 11m. great business in my opinion.

Im sure he would have preferred to stay at Liverpool but realised he wasnt part of Rafa's plans. Never mind, im sure his missus will give him a shoulder to cry on   ;)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Will Hunting on July 11, 2008, 04:41:18 PM
Look lads, Liverpool need two decent full-backs, and wingers who can make some sort of an effect on the game. I will reserve judgement on the two new full-backs (Dossena and Degen) until i see them play, but unless they can get up and down the pitch, are comfortable on the ball, capable of overlapping the midfield, and not intent in passing the ball to Gerrard every time they get it, then they are not what we need. Look at what Evra, Cole, Sagna, Clichy etc. offer to their sides.

As for Gareth Barry, as many posters have said, I don't think he will transform Liverpool into a premiership-challenging team (and this is what we want, a team that shows they can at least challenge for the title, before we can think about winning it). Will he be able to offer anything that Xabi Alonso can't?

An earlier poster there is talking about Liverpool needing more creativity, and this is spot on. Players like Pennant and Benayoun aren't good enough. End of story. I reckon Babel has potential, but we will see this season. Chelsea got it wrong last season with Malouda imo. They were missing an extra creative edge (that Robben had previosuly provided), that Ronaldo obviously gave Man utd, and that made the difference. It's a problem Arsenal have also, in that their players are too keen on holding on to the ball and they get narrow. They find it difficult to stretch teams. At the minute, Liverpool don't have the quality required in these positions, and this is evident when you see Dirk Kuyt on the right wing. The absence of such players is particularly noticeable against the other "big 4" teams - the specific games Liverpool need to start winning.

Agree 100%. Chelsea lost it last year with their lack of creativity. Malouda was a waste of space, and hopefully has taken a season to settle, while SWP and Cole are good on their day but not often enough. Robben was too injury prone, and selling him was the right thing to do but we need to fill this position this summer I think.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Mentalman

Quote from: Will Hunting on July 11, 2008, 04:41:18 PM

Spot on.

I will be very interested to see how Degen and Dossena get on, or are Insua and Arbeloa going to step up.

Also I'm wondering are they going to get to move Carson on? Otherwise today's arrival from Brazil puzzles me, at a time when money seems to be at a premium.

The areas Liverpool need to improve in are more than obvious - fullbacks and good wide/creative players, another quality striker - pretty much in that order of priority.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."