The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derryexile

Lads both semis on the same night???

Both down on the BBC website as such...

Cheers for the Formulae 1 hotel... cheap as chips!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: derryexile on April 08, 2008, 10:31:34 PM
Cheers for the Formulae 1 hotel... cheap as chips!

Well it is a shithole. ;D

But it's grand for somewhere cheap to lay your head for a night.

ONeill

Jaysus - just remembered Fearon was there. Expect 226 threads.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stevo-08

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2008, 10:28:35 PM
What a roller coaster. First of all, my hat is off to Arsenal. They were absolutely out on their feet, but kept trying to play their football right to the death, and would have been deserving winners had the last 5 minutes not happened. Fair play to them, and very hard luck. But Wenger will strengthen them in the summer, his laudable policy of nurturing youngsters just needs a little boost in the shape of a couple of more experienced players to add depth. Seriously, well done to Arsenal for 3/4 of this season, and I would love to see Liverpool play the same brand of football.

However. Delighted for Liverpool as well, played poorly in the first half and were very lucky to still be in the game. Much better in the second half, and looked like winners for a long time. Torres took his goal very well after being well marshalled by a combination of Gallas and Liverpool's poor play. Then the madness. What a run by Walcott, fantastic stuff, and a little part of me was glad he wasn't brought down. That's the sort of play you just have to admire. But even when they scored, I said to the wife 'This is not over' and I had barely the words spoken when Babel (who was very good when he came on fresh) made his burst. I thought it was a pen when it happened, and I still think it was a pen after looking at it, but it was far, far less certain than the one not given at the Emirates. Fair play to Gerrard who put what he correctly called one of his worst performances in a Red shirt behind him, and took it very well. After that Arsenal were always going to be prone to the sucker punch, and Babel was the right man up front at that stage.

I thought Rafa got it wrong with the 4-4-2, especially with Gerrard wide left. I'd have played Kuyt over there and Gerrard on the right if I was going to do that.It's not as if Kuyt is a natural winger on either side, so you wouldn't be losing much, whereas Gerrard looked completely at sea out there. The Crouch call was brave, and paid off to a certain extent, but I feel that the balance is lost with this Liverpool side when you try and fit Gerrard into a 4 man midfield with Mascherano and Alonso.

I thought the back 4, especially Aurelio and my man of the match, Skrtel, were very good, even if Carra continues to look completely lost at right back. I thought Masch was good tonight, better than last week for longer periods, and I thought Alonso was poor again.

Liverpool still give the ball away much too easily, and are very hard on the eye when put in stark contrast with a team like Arsenal, but my God are they 100%ers in terms of effort, application and courage. I love Liverpool FC no matter what style they play, for nights and heart like that, but I would love it if they could couple that with a game like Arsenal or Man Utd play. Then we'd be back for real.

Anyway, roll on Chelsea, another tough tie, and once again, sincere hard luck to Arsenal.

very well said AZ. not alot wrong with that analysis.

stiffler

exile try and stay outta Angels when your over there you snake!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

derryexile

Quote from: stiffler on April 08, 2008, 10:36:28 PM
exile try and stay outta Angels when your over there you snake!

:o

Wouldn't know what you mean stiffler...

Scenes a plenty!

bingobus

What a game, nearly launched the child across the room about 4 times in last twenty minutes!!!

Thought that until Liverpool equlised that they were struggling, after that they bossed alot of the play and Arsenal chances were limited while Liverpool themselves weren't forcing the keeper into too many saves either. But as I posted today, Torres was bound to get one chance and boy did he finish. Was sick to the stomach at this stage and knew that it would be a grandstand finish. Great Arsenal second goal but with Gerard having a mare and swinging wildly at ball that should have Row Z or back of net, the stage was set.

Head was still hanging when the penalty was given and a cool finish by Gerard and then nicely wrapped up by the lively Babel.

Two CB were solid as was Aurielo. Masch and Kuyt covered every blade and while they give it again needlessly at times, they can take credit. Torres very qiuet till goal, Crouch was very effective and those round him didn't make the must of his knock ons etc.

Thought Arsenal played well early on but restored to a long of long balls that played into Liverpools hands. Then when they got the ball in the second half they didn't have the same drive as first half and passed it in front of liverpool. Theuy missed Flamini big time, Gilberto is a shadow of himself.

Delighted to go through and think over the tie it was anybodies game.

Roll on the Chelsea again and another two nights of tension.

From the Bunker

Liverpool will be in bother in the semi as this time the first leg will be at Anfield, the second at Stamford Bridge. That has not happened in the previous two semi-finals.

AZOffaly

I prefer it that way around, and I would take 0-0 at Anfield

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2008, 10:49:42 PM
I prefer it that way around, and I would take 0-0 at Anfield

Yeah, not to conceed the away goal once again plus to to nick one at the Bridge.

bingobus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2008, 10:48:42 PM
Liverpool will be in bother in the semi as this time the first leg will be at Anfield, the second at Stamford Bridge. That has not happened in the previous two semi-finals.

Will be nice for a change  ;D Similar to Inter this year, will take a 1-0 home win first tie.

Essien out of first leg, booked tonight. Liverpool have Gerard & Carra on a second booking.

myball22

What a game, Thank God for that.

I think they deserved it on the night, they were being murdered up to the goal but after that they were the better team overall for the next hour and deserved to win. Also they tried to attack at 2-1 up and again at 3-2 so they can't say they defended it backs against the wall. The game could have ended 6 -4 if Mascherano could take the blinkers off!!

I thought Skrtel did well if a bit slack for the first goal but Aurelio is and was poor, has very poor control and did very poorly against Walcott for the second goal. Alonso doesn't have the legs for the midfield and carra offers little at RB either but it's not a night for criticising, what a win!!

I hope that is Ryan Babel come of age, it could be the start of something special (fingers crossed).
Fair play to them, they came back at 1-0 and again at 2-2 so the character is there and they attacked all the way through apart from the first half hour where Arsenal dominated. Arsenal was very good then but their character must be brittle the way they fell apart after the Sami goal. I know some Arsenal people will be upset but if Bendtner cant jump over a ball (wanted the glory I think) and Adebayor cannot score from 10 yards, then they can have no complaints.

It was a penalty, Toure knocked Babel off balance in full flow ( not as clear cut as last week but still a penalty) and what a goal from Torres, deserved it too cos he never give up.

All in all fantastic night, we'll worry about the team and Chelsea later, fair play to them and to Rafa too, he picked a positive selection and the team attacked, imagine what we would be if everyone at the club got behind him!!!

P.S. Which Liverpool player got robbed tonight? :D
Police looking for Fabregas cos he was not seen for 45 minutes.

Too soon? :D

From the Bunker

Liverpool (and Celtic) have proven on home games in CL that average players can play above themselves with the crowd behind them. The translations do not work in the league or cup games as they are usually during the day and the effect of the crowd is lost in the open daylight.

SLIGONIAN

I am neutral here lads and congrats on the win, and I admire both teams for different reasons. Absolute pleassure to watch and take it all in. Atmosphere at anfield on european night sounds unbelievable.

But dont get defensive, it wasnt a peno. Ive seen it from 5 different angles and arsenal defender tryed to get out of the way and was successful. It is irrelevant anyway as yee won but ye have got serious rub of green last 3 games that has turned tie in yer favour in all the games.

Have to say it looks like a manutd v pool final doesnt it. I hope pool play better in that than 2 league games. I support a huge club in league 1 ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gabriel_Hurl