2005-06 3rd
2004-05  5th  
2003-04  4th  

Fergie:
1989-90 13th
1988-89 11th
1987-88 2nd
1986-87 11th

The point that Man Utds success over the next near 20 years could not have been predicted is pretty indisputable, pretty much asd no one would have predicted it would take them over 20 years to win a league title after 1967.

Who'd swear soccer ended in '67 and start sometime in 1993.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

From the Bunker

Yes but Ferguson had inherited the players that finished 4th in 1985/86. Ron Atkinson's United side had looked set for title glory after winning their first 10 games of the season, but a slump in form during the second half of the season ruined their title hopes. 1 October 1985 - Manchester United, still with a 100% record in the First Division, enter October with a 10-point lead in the league. Hardly the run gained by misfits!!! Yes they had a bad run before Fergie came, thats why Atkinson got sacked!!!!

Liverpool had a bad run before Houllier got sacked!!! Thats the way it works!!! Your comparison was that Benitez had inherited a team in a better position. But the stats talk for themselves!!!

nrico2006

Sure the team Fergie inherited were as good as a team that had recently won a treble !?!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

From the Bunker

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 27, 2008, 04:43:43 PM
Sure the team Fergie inherited were as good as a team that had recently won a treble !?!

That is not the argument, sure they were not as good as the team that won the treble. You have gone off on a complete tangent 13 years later. we are talking about 1986. Do you want to come back in 13 year and see how Benitez has done! That is how stupid that remark is!

nrico2006

I meant the Liverpool treble winning team that Benitez inherited.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Hence the use of the term "a" treble not "the" treble as done in 1999.

From the Bunker

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 27, 2008, 04:59:29 PM
I meant the Liverpool treble winning team that Benitez inherited.

Ok they won "a" Treable 3 years before Benitez arrival, but in the real scheme of things they were no closer to Chp Lge and to a larger extent Premiership titles. They were in the exact boat as Utd pre 1986 of being a good Cup side beating top teams here and there, and finishing anywhere in the league. The comparisons of inherited teams are similar!! I am not saying Benitez is the next Ferguson, I am just giving you a context of things. It is hard to put into context something that happened at Man utd 20+ years ago. Ferguson has proven to be one of the strongest human beings in football ever. His knowledge of Players, the game, the Media, referees is untouchable. But this was built on the strength of him getting a few dodgy years to get the foundation right and get his house in order. Ferguson did inherit a team going through a tough patch, but only 6 months earlier were a couple of points off of the title. He was given time and money. Bar Arsene at the Gunners, no other team get that chance in the present game.

End

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 27, 2008, 04:29:23 PM
QuoteYeah, Man u were well off the pace (Bottom of the league) under atkinson at the end of the 1985/86 Season   

Ferguaon took over United in November 86, when they were 2nd bottom.

Sure the previous season United had finished 4th after leading the league for a big part of the season. The season before that they finished 4th as well the grand total of one point behind Liverpool. They were not a bad side at all when Ferguson took over. Underachieving yes but far from a shambolic outfit.

Things actually got worse under Ferguson first before they started to get better.

Mentalman

QuoteLiverpool co-owners reveal split  

Gillett (left) and Hicks have become unpopular among Liverpool fans
Fresh doubts have been raised over the future of Liverpool after co-owner George Gillett revealed relations with partner Tom Hicks are now "unworkable".

BBC Sport understands Hicks is aiming to take sole control of the club, while investment group Dubai International Capital also wants to invest.

But Gillett said: "This partnership has been unworkable for some time.

It means, says Gillett, that selling his share of the club to Hicks is now "an untenable alternative".

He added: "We were very fair. We gave our partner a long period of time to try to make arrangements to buy us out.

"We didn't put pressure on him but he ultimately did not get to the finish line.

"In the meantime, because of the things he said, the fans' reaction has been so negative towards him - and towards us if we sold to him - that has now made that an untenable alternative for us.

"When your public persona is more important than the facts, it's tough to have a rational relationship."

In a lengthy interview with radio station Fan590 in Canada, Gillett went on to say:

"(The fans) do not want him (Hicks) to have any controlling interest in this club - they do not even want him to have any ownership in the club."

"He (Hicks) threatened to block me selling to Dubai - that was certainly one of the things that made the fans upset."

"Lord knows DIC have the money; with oil prices going up every day, that's not an issue. They certainly have the history and they are fans. I think they would have been very responsible owners."
We (Gillett and his family) receive many phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives

George Gillett

"It's been very difficult for my wife - we receive many phone calls in the middle of the night threatening our lives - death threats."

"Instead of thinking about selling I might think about buying."

"The pieces on the chess board are moving", regarding his plans for his stake in the club.
However, despite the threats, Gillett revealed he and his son Foster - a club director - intend to travel to England to attend one of the upcoming games against Arsenal next week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7318780.stm

Welcome to Anfield?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Minder

Well thats fourth place sorted,just the minor honours in this years league campaign to be decided. . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

J70

Liverpool are away to Arsenal next. Everton are at home to Derby. Nothing is sorted yet.

new devil

Quote from: Minder on March 30, 2008, 06:25:14 PM
Well thats fourth place sorted,just the minor honours in this years league campaign to be decided. . . . .

Well done you must be so proud  :D :D

stiffler

Does anyone know did Torres pick up a suspension after getting booked today for the 5th time this season?

If so , what match is he missing?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Minder

No he didnt Stiffler, the 5 yellows = suspension is done away with at a certain part of the season, not sure when but we have passed it, he just gets a warning from the FA !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009