2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on March 21, 2009, 12:14:04 AM
be great to see  the  IRFU Team get another black eye tomorrow  . almost be sweeter if they lost but won the championship . Surely the most meaningless presentation of a cup ever at least since england kept pulling the same trick a few years back

Cymru am byth

Said like a true Brit lover  ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Oraisteach

Quote from: rosnarun on March 21, 2009, 12:14:04 AM
be great to see  the  IRFU Team get another black eye tomorrow  . almost be sweeter if they lost but won the championship . Surely the most meaningless presentation of a cup ever at least since england kept pulling the same trick a few years back

Cymru am byth

A little harsh there, Rosnarun.  I'll be cheering for the Irish team.

Uladh

Sitting in cardiff as we speak sports fans. Its gonna be a hell of a day. my only concern is the lack of a spark on the bench now that darcy is starting.
the game may end up being decided when bodies tire in the last 20 and we may not have the oomph wales have to bring in.

I have a feeling Geordan murphy might end up being the unlikely hero

Uladh

By Hugh Farrelly

Saturday March 21 2009

WARREN GATLAND fired another broadside at Ireland yesterday when he accused their coach Declan Kidney of resorting to "cliches and nothing."

Wales take on Ireland in the Millennium Stadium this evening (5.30) when they will attempt to deny the Irish a first Grand Slam in 61 years and secure a Triple Crown and Six Nations title in the process.

However, the build-up to the tournament decider has been dominated by off-pitch matters following the Wales coach's claims that his players dislike the Irish more than any other country in the Six Nations and his assertion that the Ireland players had celebrated in their dressing room for an hour and a half after beating Scotland last weekend.

The Ireland camp refused to be drawn into a slanging match this week beyond team manager Paul McNaughton dismissing the accusation of celebrating for an hour and a half as "nonsense" and "completely wrong."

However, Gatland threw further fuel on the fire yesterday when he said his comments had worked to his team's advantage before adding that: "Perhaps in future I should take a leaf out of Declan Kidney's book.

"That's probably the way to go in future, and then you get cliches and nothing.

"Maybe it has had the desired effect," said the New Zealander, who coached Ireland between 1998 and 2001.

"The great thing about this week is that that's been the issue, there have been no match-ups, big feature articles on our players -- so there has been no pressure on my players this week.

"Perhaps it had the desired effect but perhaps I should have been a little more tempered and said that, out of all the teams in the Six Nations, the team that the Welsh want to beat is the Irish. It's nothing personal against the Irish, I've some great friends there, my daughter was born in Ireland. Please don't take it personally, I spent a long time in Ireland."

When quizzed on his comments about Ireland's reaction to beating Scotland, Gatland said he had been told by a journalist he "trusted" that the Irish team had been singing and celebrating for an hour and a half, but said: "If I've got that wrong, I can only apologise."

At Ireland's press conference yesterday, Kidney and his captain Brian O'Driscoll would not get involved in the controversy, preferring to focus on their Grand Slam tilt.

"I haven't picked up too many newspapers this week, so I've left that up to others to decipher and pick out what was what," said O'Driscoll.

"I don't really personally have anything to say about it. I'm sure they can show their dislike on the pitch tomorrow and we'll show them the respect they deserve."

- Hugh Farrelly

ExiledGael

Gatland reckons there's no pressure on his players due to his expert management. Is that why one of the Jones' is in the papers today saying he felt like he has been "on death row" this week waiting for the game. Hopefully the Irish can somehow manage to half fill the stadium. They usually do.

aroundincircles

Is it correct ireland dont play national anthem at away games.That is so strange i thought that would be when the players would really need it to raise the old emotions up.

Kerry Mike

QuoteGatland reckons there's no pressure on his players due to his expert management.

Where was he when Henson and a few more of the Welsh players went on the rip after the English game just a few weeks ago.

The Welsh are very worried, losing a Grand Slam in Cardiff would be painful for them, lets make them feel the pain today. I feel we will win it , am excited.
For those in Cardiff make it a great day and roar your fecking head off.

Paul O'Connell for first try.

I woke about 5am this morning after dreaming I was in the middle of an Irish ruck and Gatland was on the wrong side of the ruck in a Welsh jersey and I was letting the boot into him. I really need to take it easy on the beer.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Doogie Browser

Quote from: aroundincircles on March 21, 2009, 11:46:14 AM
Is it correct ireland dont play national anthem at away games.That is so strange i thought that would be when the players would really need it to raise the old emotions up.
Don't go there, a travesty no doubt.  Best of luck to the lads today, get stuck into them, 5/4 ireland to win the match - get on!

aroundincircles

Whats the story then doogie did all the rugby teams hold a meeting and voted they did not want to hear the soldiers song as they did not like it or something?? If that happened the irish are getting soft or something taking that sort of decision lying down.. Not good enough.

muppet

Quote from: aroundincircles on March 21, 2009, 12:37:45 PM
Whats the story then doogie did all the rugby teams hold a meeting and voted they did not want to hear the soldiers song as they did not like it or something?? If that happened the irish are getting soft or something taking that sort of decision lying down.. Not good enough.

Are you a bit of a Walter Mitty?

MWWSI 2017

aroundincircles

Some outfit that denies there own anthem.

Hardy

Not the day for that. Should be a great occasion. I really like this team's approach under Kidney - in their attitude and conduct, I mean - don't know enough about tactics to comment on that. You get the sense that they're spot-on mentally and you get the opposite impression of Wales. That makes a huge difference and I have the feeling this team is one you'd want to have your money on when the fat is in the fire and it's all or nothing.  I'm confident about my small investment at 2.4.

muppet

Quote from: aroundincircles on March 21, 2009, 01:39:46 PM
Some outfit that denies there own anthem.

I bet they can spell though.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

The coefficient of indignant barstool patriotism is inversely proportional to the square root of literacy.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on March 21, 2009, 02:27:55 PM
The coefficient of indignant barstool patriotism is inversely proportional to the square root of literacy.

I know we are not allowed to out posters but I just have a funny feeling:

MWWSI 2017