Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Can't wait!  ;)

Edit:
  Apologies Drici!!  :)

drici

Would probably have done the same.

thebandit

Is Fermanagh midfielder Murphy out for the year?

haranguerer

Looking likely - I dont think he knows himself yet, but no sign of him coming home soon. Big loss, but theres a good bit of cover there. Is this game this weekend or 2 weeks away? Too lazy to check anywhere else.

Can't see M'han doing any better than they normally do against Fermanagh anyway...

Maguire01

Monaghan do have a terrible record against Fermanagh in recent years (despite handing out a hammering in the McKenna Cup in Irvinestown in '07 :P). It's strange, because they can always up their game for 'bigger' teams.

However i'd imagine they'll be out to make amends for last year's championship disaster and think Monaghan should edge this one.

GrandMasterFlash

Hard one to call.. Not sure where Fermanagh are at or how experimental they will be. Monaghan done OK in the McKenna cup and a few of the new faces (James Conlon, Kieran Hughes & Mark Downey) gave a good enough account of themselves. We've a brutal recored against Fermanagh though and I'd hope to clinch this one just for the record!!

haranguerer

Ha! There you are Maguire! Strange indeed. mebbe the banty isn't the master motivator you'd have him to be, eh?

I hear Rory Woods is badly outta shape (I swear a monaghan man told me that!) is it true??

Last years championship disaster? I thought monaghan were delighted with last years championship - just like the year before they got put out by kerry, yous always seem happy enough with that, no?

Maguire01

Eh? You've lost me on your first line.

Yes, Rory Woods not in peak fitness yet, but still capable of causing problems for Fermanagh defence and very much capable of launching good long balls into the forward line if he lines out at half-fwd.

And when i mentioned last year's Championship, i was referring specifically to the Fermanagh game (i thought that would have been obvious). Otherwise, wins over Derry and Donegal and a close defeat to Kerry was a good enough year, if not a great one.

GrandMasterFlash

Last Year's Championship = Last Year's Snow. Gone!

thebandit

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2009, 01:51:48 PM

Yes, Rory Woods not in peak fitness yet, but still capable of causing problems for Fermanagh defence and very much capable of launching good long balls into the forward line if he lines out at half-fwd.

Dont you worry, Rory will be in fine shape for the dry sod.

Maguire01

Not worried in the slightest! Woods is a great player.

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 27, 2009, 01:31:08 PM
It's strange, because they can always up their game for 'bigger' teams.

This is clearly what my earlier first line was referring to - try to keep up. And to clarify it for you further....

Quote from: Maguire01
Mentor motivates team / instills passion? Surely McEnaney would tick that box as well

Anyone can motivate a team to lose to Kerry, its in the other games that you prove your motivational skills, and to take your point of view (contradicting your own opinion of the banty in the process) Monaghan didn't seem to be motivated against fermanagh in the championship!
Although we both know thats rubbish - how would m'han ever take fermanagh lightly when they get beaten by them every year?? 

And what are you on about, woods not in peak fitness yet??! When do you expect him to be? Agree hes got talent, but when he hasn't been in peak fitness at any point so far in his life I can't see this year being any different, can you??!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: haranguerer on January 28, 2009, 08:24:06 AM
And what are you on about, woods not in peak fitness yet??! When do you expect him to be? Agree hes got talent, but when he hasn't been in peak fitness at any point so far in his life I can't see this year being any different, can you??!

When do you expect him to be??? It's the first week in February, are all county players gonna be in 'peak fitness' this weekend, get a grip man! Woods carrys a bit, this year eveidently more so but if you witnessed him against Donegal last year or Derry the year before you would by now know that it doesn't stop him giving 110% for 75 mins.

timmyot501

Woods is usually worth his place nomatter what shape he is in.  He does get fitter as the year progresses as his man of the match perfomances against Kerry in 2007 & Donegal in 2008 suggest.  He also put up a good showing against Kerry last year.  He struggled against Fermanagh last year but I think that was more to do with an off day (like many others) as opposed to fitness.  I'd be more concerned about him picking up an early yellow card than anything else!

haranguerer

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on January 28, 2009, 08:50:02 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 28, 2009, 08:24:06 AM

When do you expect him to be??? It's the first week in February, are all county players gonna be in 'peak fitness' this weekend, get a grip man! Woods carrys a bit, this year eveidently more so but if you witnessed him against Donegal last year or Derry the year before you would by now know that it doesn't stop him giving 110% for 75 mins.

In fairness to Rory Woods, I would agree he gives his all, and I really do rate him. The point I was making, in a light hearted way, was that he is renowned for carrying weight, so I was amused when I was told he was badly outta shape - in a 'whats new?' kinda way!

Similar to someone telling you hanratty had just lately acquired a habit of running down blind allies, when we all know he has always done that  :P