NFL Div 2 - Fermanagh v Monaghan

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 27, 2009, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

It's a wonder then that McAleer was even named in the 9 subs, never mind brought on. Why wouldn't he bring on a player whos been on the panel from the start? I wouldn't have McAleer near the team, I know he'll not be playing come summertime but there's plenty better out there. And while he's not exactly old, there's a few younger players who are already well established in the team, so he's not overly young by that standard.

timmyot501

I know nothing about McAleer but I'm all for trying out him and the likes during the league to see what they can do.  Last year our midfield fell apart towards the end of the league and because we wasted the opportunity to check out a few alternatives during the earlier stages we had no options at all.  Look at the Fermanagh match last year.  Throw McAleer on and try Cuddy if fit, and try Conlon in midfield too if necessary (thought taking him off so early was harsh, at least move him for 5 minutes).  Put Martin Corey in for a game too.  Now is the time to find out what players can do in a competitive enviroment.  Don't leave it too late like last year. 

Schkite

It seems very harsh alright to have subbed Conlon so early, not exactly showing great confidence in him. I actually thought he'd have a strong league, still can of course, hopefully he'll respond in the right way. As I say I'm surprised Martin Corey hasn't got a run, he must be injured or something as he's been excellent the last few years for Clontibret at corner-back and more than deserves a go by now.

GrandMasterFlash

McAleer is playin with UUJ Sigersion at the moment and featured in their McKenna cup games. He's doin well for UUJ and deserves his place IMHO just like James Conlon et al. He's from the same U21 side as Darren Hughes, Big Benny, Manzie etc. etc. It's lads like him need games like yesterday!

thebandit

Is that not Shea McAleer who plays for the poly?

Schkite

Both of them did. Think Shea's left now, could be wrong on that though.

GrandMasterFlash

Shea's left and Stephen's still there.