Peoples Accents

Started by Tankie, January 13, 2009, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

I was driving home around 11.30 lastnight and got listening to some chat show where they said people were put down because they had a Dublin accent. I have never been looked down upon for having it but from what I got from the radio was that people were getting confused between a Dublin accent and an 'uneducated' accent. I have a Dublin accent but would pronounce my words etc but to some of these people on the show I would be classed 'posh' or 'fake' when infact I consider myself as the one with the Dublin accent, alot of these people cannot even say the word 'No' correctly are not looked down upon because of their accent but rather their lack of basic understanding of the English language. An accent is a sound and not the difference between saying 'Nowww' and 'No'! this debate got fairly heated but i missed the end as i was home by that time.

But I would look at this too all counties, I think it is clear as day who can speak English and who cannot but the actual accent has nothing to do with it. What do you boys think?
Grand Slam Saturday!

illdecide

Snob. live on the south side...eh
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Minder

I know a fella from North Antrim that went to work in Manchester for 6 months and came back with a Sligo accent..........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Canalman

Accent dropping is also a bugbear of mine. Have met loads of people here in Dublin with what you would I suppose call a "plum accent" /what I think is called a "Dublin 4 accent" outside of Dublin and am amazed to find out they came from the country. Imo there is no way they could have picked it up naturally so I have to presume they deliberately dropped their own accent.......only  for it hilariously to resurface when they are drunk. Women are by far the worst offenders.
Was gobsmacked for example to hear last week that Claire Byrne from Newstalk was from Laois, Mountrath I think.

The country posters here must have noticed this phenomenon.

Would also agree to an extent that the Dublin accent would seem to be far and away the most disliked accent in Ireland.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on January 13, 2009, 01:16:25 PM
Would also agree to an extent that the Dublin accent would seem to be far and away the most disliked accent in Ireland.

Which one? ;D

his holiness nb

Theres a few different Dublin accents though, for example its hard to compare the d4 accent with the "stooooooory bud" accent.
Both are poxy though.

Being from the north county, I would regard myself as having the most normal of the Dublin accents  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

youbetterbelieveit

I would have to say alot of people will change words when they are talking, prime example is the Nordies saying 'aye' for Yes, after a while you then to just say aye in order for people to understand you and so on with other things like local sayings,

Tony Baloney

Accent dropping is also a bugbear of mine. Have met loads of people here in Dublin with what you would I suppose call a "plum accent" /what I think is called a "Dublin 4 accent" outside of Dublin and am amazed to find out they came from the country. Imo there is no way they could have picked it up naturally so I have to presume they deliberately dropped their own accent.......only  for it hilariously to resurface when they are drunk. Women are by far the worst offenders.
Was gobsmacked for example to hear last week that Claire Byrne from Newstalk was from Laois, Mountrath I think.

Bangor/North Down
Strabane/Derry

his holiness nb

The county Louth accent is particularly bad imo.
Ask me holy bollix

C_Berg_316

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2009, 01:28:22 PM

Bangor/North Down
Strabane/Derry

Belfast Muckers - alright mateeeee - go through your head
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

Hoof Hearted

Derry City definately annoying. Sure Nadine Coyle would affront ye every time she opens her mouth. But with looks and a body like that you could forgive her !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Minder

Particular accents dont really bother me,you cant do anything about it, what bothers me is when people alter their accent so as to sound as if they are from the Malone Road etc.........Wa*kers without exception.

GalwayBayBoy

Surely Waaaarrfuurd must be up there?

Orior

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 13, 2009, 01:31:30 PM
The county Louth accent is particularly bad imo.

But not as bad as the Newry accent. Has anyone ever heard Rose-Marie talk?

http://www.rose-marie.tv/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 13, 2009, 01:46:13 PM
Belfast muckers accents are pretty bad, actually, their brutal.  Pete Snodden on cool fm - how did that man ever get a job on the radio with an accent like that, it would go stright through ye, plus he seems like an arrogant wee fcuker.

You will have to define a "mucker"