GAA clubs ban players from playing other sports

Started by neilthemac, December 22, 2008, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

All I want for Christmas is fair promotion of all sports...

Hundreds of GAA clubs across the country have outlawed the playing of controversial sports such as Hurling, Camogie and Handball.

Just in case children and club members actually enjoying playing these sports even mentioning them has been banned in clubs. No attempt will ever be made to promote these sports as they are against the founding principles of these football clubs.

Many clubs have made no effort to promote these other sports in their clubs and communities, thus going against the founding ideals of the GAA.

A spokes person for one of the clubs said - "Sure why would we want our members playing other GAA sports - it'd be better if they took up some rugby or soccer for the winter to keep fit before the football starts back in spring".

Studies have shown that multi sport clubs are far more successful in the long run at all sports - both underage and adult, as their players stay playing one or other sport in the club and there is less drop out.

Zulu

There are quite a few hurling only clubs as well, it is something I strongly disagree with myself but as a member of a dual club it is very difficult to give equal promotion to both codes. And trying to get a fair crack of the whip for both codes has caused numerous rows in the club. In truth single code clubs probably make more sense and I'm not sure I would recommend any single code club to try and become a dual club.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on December 22, 2008, 06:01:22 PM
There are quite a few hurling only clubs as well, it is something I strongly disagree with myself but as a member of a dual club it is very difficult to give equal promotion to both codes. And trying to get a fair crack of the whip for both codes has caused numerous rows in the club. In truth single code clubs probably make more sense and I'm not sure I would recommend any single code club to try and become a dual club.

You're probably right there Zulu - running one or other is difficult enough but trying to combine both is tough - The Cork lads would say that footballlers feel very much like football is second to hurling and regarded very much like the poor relation - would that be a common enough perception ?. And would that thinking transfer to dual clubs, where hurling might be the "stronger" code and vice versa ?.

bennydorano

Zulu

I think one code or the other is always the poor relation at both county and club level (in my experience anyway) but it isn't as big a problem at county level as it is at club. Obviously at club level you are generally working from the same playing pool and within the squad you'll usually have some players who favour one code and some who favour the other. In fact it is not uncommon for players to play both codes only because if they don't play football, for example, others won't play hurling. It is often a very messy situation and while I do think every county should promote both codes it isn't the most practical arrangement in reality. For example in Dublin I would suggest one code clubs would be much better as the population is there to have a strong football club and a strong hurling club in the one area rather than a dual club that can only add to fixture problems for both county championships.

thejuice

Yeah the idea of playing hurling in our club was shot down when we proposed it. There are a couple of players who play hurling for other clubs but play football for us.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Homer

Quote from: neilthemac on December 22, 2008, 05:12:48 PM
Hundreds of GAA clubs across the country have outlawed the playing of controversial sports such as Hurling, Camogie and Handball.
Just in case children and club members actually enjoying playing these sports even mentioning them has been banned in clubs. No attempt will ever be made to promote these sports as they are against the founding principles of these football clubs.
Studies have shown that multi sport clubs are far more successful in the long run at all sports - both underage and adult, as their players stay playing one or other sport in the club and there is less drop out.

Oh dear  :-\

bennydorano

neilthemac

it was in an Ulster GAA publication/presentation on benefit of football and hurling working together in clubs

carribbear

Quote from: neilthemac on December 23, 2008, 04:42:22 PM
it was in an Ulster GAA publication/presentation on benefit of football and hurling working together in clubs

Any actual documentation to back this one up? I'm presuming this is a wind-up.

thewobbler

For the life of me, I can't think of a dual club in Ulster that's halfway successful at both codes.

Maybe if Balllinderry, Mayobridge, Cavan Gaels, St Galls et al took up that sport with bats, then they'd all catch up with Crossmaglen. But then again, if sticks were allowed in Crossmaglen, the rest of us might as well not bother trying.

5 Sams

I remember speaking to a few of the lads in Dingle about Galvin and his prowess with a caman.....they confirmed that he was a handy hurler and said "imagine thon hoor with a schtick ;D ;D"
The Aristocrat Years

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: thewobbler on December 23, 2008, 09:42:38 PM
For the life of me, I can't think of a dual club in Ulster that's halfway successful at both codes.

Maybe if Balllinderry, Mayobridge, Cavan Gaels, St Galls et al took up that sport with bats, then they'd all catch up with Crossmaglen. But then again, if sticks were allowed in Crossmaglen, the rest of us might as well not bother trying.

Think St gall's made an Antrim semi final a few years back but that's clutching at straws a bit I suppose.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

screenexile

In recent times Slaughtneil have won titles in both codes in Derry within 4 years (Hurling 2000, Football 2004).

Before that Dungiven won Senior Hurling 1996 and 1998 but won the Derry and Ulster Football Championship in 1997. There were a number of dual players on both the Dungiven and Slaughtneil teams at the time.