Tír Eoghain vs Muineachán, Omagh, Saturday 4th March @19:00 (water permitting)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 28, 2017, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Taylor on March 06, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Lets call a spade a spade - it was a cakewalk.
The hard work in the first half ensured we would not be beaten.

Monaghan came to play on the edge but the referee made the right calls. Monaghan should finish with 12/13 players most weeks if the men in black done their jobs correctly.

Another tilt at the Dubs in a final would be pretty tasty
Am i the only one that thinks its a bit rich for a Tyrone poster to be slagging a team for playing on the edge. Give me strength  :-\

Fuzzman

Yeah it's just you straightred.
Monaghan seem to do a lot better against non Ulster teams but when they come up against Tyrone or Donegal they often over do the physical stuff and cross the line. They need to calm down a bit and stop showing Tyrone so much fear.

Can you point out one incident in the match that Tyrone overstepped the mark?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Taylor on March 06, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Monaghan came to play on the edge but the referee made the right calls. Monaghan should finish with 12/13 players most weeks if the men in black done their jobs correctly.

You're obviously either 5 years of age or you have the memory span of an ostrich.

There are too many counter references from the past 15 years to mention.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2017, 10:35:54 AM
Monaghan seem to do a lot better against non Ulster teams but when they come up against Tyrone or Donegal they often over do the physical stuff and cross the line. They need to calm down a bit and stop showing Tyrone so much fear.

Not on Saturday night, I'll give you that. But, some posters are deluded if they believe Tyrone are saints, either within or outside Ulster.

Congratulations on your win BTW, your first half performance was excellent, especially the long range kicking from Rufflegate.

Taylor

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2017, 09:55:17 AM
Yes it would Taylor but our last 3 matches are probably our toughest so I wouldn't go looking that far ahead.
We always struggle in Ballybofey & Donegal's young lads seem to be building up a head of steam
Mayo always seem to do well against us in Omagh so hopefully we don't need to win in Killarney to qualify.

Monaghan have a much easier run with their last match at home to the Dubs their toughest.

Killarney isnt the place we want to be going to qualify granted but hopefully we are ok before then.

Tyrone are far from saints (we have cleaned up our act mind you) but it was called out here last week the way Monaghan have been playing across the line so far this year and it was the same Saturday night.
Sometimes ye just lose the plot rather than playing smart.

Just outside dining consistently at the top table is frustrating I take that but sometimes yous simply arent cute enough - especially considering who the ref was

Fuzzman

Good man GMF. Unlike Main St at least you can give credit where it is due. Some of the long range point taking was excellent in the 1st half but it certainly seems easier to score into those goals some have noticed.

Did anyone have a good view of the penalty incident? Was it a foul?

GMF if you look around the Tyrone team now we don't have many players who play even near the edge any more.
Justy is probably the closest we have and he used to be an angel but has toughened up in the last few years.
Mattie is a tough nut and will hit you hard I'd say but he's in no way dirty
We don't have a Neil McGee, Keegan or Philly McMahon type player any more.

Your No 11's punch to Burn's face seemed very rash. What was he thinking with a closed fist so high up. He killed
the game as a spectacle as Tyrone just soaked up all ye threw at them.

Kelly's 2nd booking was stupid as Meyler had already been stopped. Ye must be happier having a few more forwards to help out McManus this year.
From a Tyrone point of view I was envious that McManus had the luxury of leaving the long range frees to Beggan as  we continue to struggle with frees outside 40 yards on the left.

straightred

I can't because I was in Croker on Saturday and have only seen the few minutes highlights that were on the rte last night.

That wasn't my point though. I could only smile when I saw a Tyrone poster giving out about playing "on the edge". After all the pulling and dragging and mouthing and diving that has gone on you don't get to go all angelic all of a sudden. Maybe you didn't go down that route on Saturday - I don't know. However it will take me a bit longer to give you a clean bill of health.

BennyHarp

Quote from: straightred on March 06, 2017, 04:31:41 PM

I can't because I was in Croker on Saturday and have only seen the few minutes highlights that were on the rte last night.

That wasn't my point though. I could only smile when I saw a Tyrone poster giving out about playing "on the edge". After all the pulling and dragging and mouthing and diving that has gone on you don't get to go all angelic all of a sudden. Maybe you didn't go down that route on Saturday - I don't know. However it will take me a bit longer to give you a clean bill of health.

Ffs, which holier than thou county do you follow which gives you impunity to comment on players over stepping the mark? 
That was never a square ball!!

straightred

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 06, 2017, 05:39:53 PM

Ffs, which holier than thou county do you follow which gives you impunity to comment on players over stepping the mark?

Another sensitive one I see. If you check the thread you'll see that I didn't initiate this. I simply decided that some of us might find it hard to accept a tyrone person moaning about the opposition playing on the edge. That's all.

Dublin with a bit of Monaghan blood if you must know but I rarely see Monaghan live.

If you think Tyrone have turned over a new leaf and left all the cynical stuff behind then fine. Let's see how it plays out over the next few months. I'll happily come back in September and admit I was wrong. In the meantime I'll remain skeptical.

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on March 06, 2017, 05:54:55 PM

Another sensitive one I see. If you check the thread you'll see that I didn't initiate this. I simply decided that some of us might find it hard to accept a tyrone person moaning about the opposition playing on the edge. That's all.

Dublin with a bit of Monaghan blood if you must know but I rarely see Monaghan live.

If you think Tyrone have turned over a new leaf and left all the cynical stuff behind then fine. Let's see how it plays out over the next few months. I'll happily come back in September and admit I was wrong. In the meantime I'll remain skeptical.
That's it then, now you've  done it Straightred, you've just woken up the Tyrone whataboutery factor, mind you it doesn't take much to wake that up.
That noise in the background is the sound of at least 10 miffed  insecure Tyronies frantically looking for online photos of some dark Dublin deed. Probably that's not a difficult task for a person of adequate computing skills,  but some of these tyronies do struggle with the basics. You might have to wait, it might not arrive before you lose interest in the thread, but rest assured they will remember and find you in some other thread. You are now a person of interest.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2017, 07:00:32 PM

That's it then, now you've  done it Straightred, you've just woken up the Tyrone whataboutery factor, mind you it doesn't take much to wake that up.
That noise in the background is the sound of at least 10 miffed  insecure Tyronies frantically looking for online photos of some dark Dublin deed. Probably that's not a difficult task for a person of adequate computing skills,  but some of these tyronies do struggle with the basics. You might have to wait, it might not arrive before you lose interest in the thread, but rest assured they will remember and find you in some other thread. You are now a person of interest.

Still no condemnation of more Monaghan thuggery from yourself?

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - The Main Street Way.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 06, 2017, 08:59:22 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2017, 07:00:32 PM

Still no condemnation of more Monaghan thuggery from yourself?

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - The Main Street Way.

Very much like the team he follows, Main Street prefers to play the man rather than the ball. His  Tyrone rants are an infinite and regular source of amusement.
That was never a square ball!!

ziggysego

Tyrone got the job done as far as I am concerned. Yes, a lot of work needs to be done before we reach the business end of the season, especially the FF.

However, saying they're a spent force.... unless I'm missing something, one point behind Dublin for the top spot with a game in hand. A good position to be in.
Testing Accessibility

Dire Ear

Tyrone had a chance to send Monaghan down the road with a big beating,  but blew it as far as I'm concerned. Meeting them later on will not have the same effect now.    It was a terrible 2nd half, from the management I think and when the keeper can't find a Tyr player to kick to when 2 men up; there's something seriously wrong in the parish!  And anyone who doesn't recognise that Tyrone's discipline is vastly improved, knows nothing about them.  Big games v the other top teams in Ireland at the minute coming up  but Tyrone and moving well,  and players like Meyler, Sludden, Harte, McNamee and Colly Cav are vital to progression.  Hampsey, R Brennan and HPMcGeary and others are fitting in seemlessly.  A settled free-taker again' could be our downfall however.

Fuzzman

Win our match in hand this Sunday and we're top of Div 1.
Many will say it's only March and it's a long way to Sept but a lot of counties would happily swap with us.

Mickey has us doing well and I think the majority of sensible fans would be happy for him to get another few years with this new team as he's got the experience whereas new managers like Logan, McGlennan etc would be on a step learning curve.

Re. Sat night and how we sat back in the second half I see Mickey's interview on teamtalkmag.com said that they were right not to run into the "nest of tackles" but to be patient and try to entice the Monaghan defence out.
He said it might not be pretty and what people want to see but it's what necessary nowadays to win matches.

Personally I think there needs to be a more balance between our excellent defensive system and how when we attack. What I mean is say we're playing one of the top 3 teams and we're 3 points down, will we change our shape and take a risk to push men forward. It is so ingrained in the players now to retreat back into their own half all the time.

I think with the large number of half back and half forwards we have at similar levels that we could afford to play a FF line of Mattie, Sean & Bradley though as Mattie found out on Sat night that even when you win a long ball in there, you can't do much with it as you're surrounded in seconds.
I think we'll see more of that pass where it's kicked into the FF line and it's then kicked back about 30 yards where there is more space to shoot.

Has Munroe got injured or dropped down the pecking order?
At the start of the league most people expected him to nail down a wing back position but has he played any part yet?
Also Mc Nulty was named at MF for a few games and still hasn't got on.
Was McClure even on the panel last year?