NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on March 28, 2022, 08:55:57 AM
I think Monaghan were a little bit lucky to get that last gasp free, looked a clear overcarrying foul to me.  Very well taken of course, and McCarron was superb throughout. Wouldn't have made any difference to the Dubs as a draw would have seen both ourselves and Monaghan relegated, but Kildare can count themselves a little unfortunate.
Any thoughts about the 'easy' free are trumped by the easy penalty, the dub Lorcan was fairly dispossessed and went down from his own momentum.

Regardless, the Dubs bottled their chance of a late winner with that last wide, whereas McCarron did not bottle his task.

Armamike

Armagh achieved their goal which was to stay in the division.  Doing that with 2 games to go was a bonus. Been a lot said (from Tyrone supporters and Pat Spillane) about our fitness levels in the first couple of games.  If we have worked harder than other counties earlier this year, then so be it, it did the trick and kept us in the division, which is key for this team's development. Armagh won't get taken seriously until they do a lot better in Ulster. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

yellowcard

Armagh's season will be defined by the Donegal championship match. At the minute I would make that a 50/50 game at best. Win that and we should get to an Ulster final though which would represent a good season. Win Ulster and it will have been a great season. Anything else would be a disappointment unless we can make an AI SF though the back door.

Wildweasel74

Murphy and McBearty up front with Brennan give, Donegal more scoring power, plus, Gallen of the bench. Donegal defence def ain't what it used to be, depending on who's suspended I take Donegal by 5. Some Man start the threat lol.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Armamike on March 28, 2022, 03:32:19 PM
Armagh achieved their goal which was to stay in the division.  Doing that with 2 games to go was a bonus. Been a lot said (from Tyrone supporters and Pat Spillane) about our fitness levels in the first couple of games.  If we have worked harder than other counties earlier this year, then so be it, it did the trick and kept us in the division, which is key for this team's development. Armagh won't get taken seriously until they do a lot better in Ulster.

Yes getting a 3rd year in Division 1 was vital. How much the tale off towards the end of league was to do with peaking early or currently involved in hard training remains to be seen. Long overdue a good Ulster championship however well capable of reaching All-Ireland quarter final via the backdoor if required.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on March 28, 2022, 02:24:16 PM
I think Monaghan were a little bit lucky to get that last gasp free, looked a clear overcarrying foul to me.  Very well taken of course, and McCarron was superb throughout. Wouldn't have made any difference to the Dubs as a draw would have seen both ourselves and Monaghan relegated, but Kildare can count themselves a little unfortunate.
Any thoughts about the 'easy' free are trumped by the easy penalty, the dub Lorcan was fairly dispossessed and went down from his own momentum.

Regardless, the Dubs bottled their chance of a late winner with that last wide, whereas McCarron did not bottle his task.
Agreed, both penalties were soft and the analysis completely overlooked how Monaghan managed to allow a pretty incompetent and rudderless Dublin back into the game. Dublin certainly didnt deserve to win the game and Kildare unfortunate to be the ones to lose out thanks to the very soft late free. Hats off to McCarron.

Solo_run

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 28, 2022, 04:23:56 PM
Quote from: Armamike on March 28, 2022, 03:32:19 PM

Yes getting a 3rd year in Division 1 was vital. How much the tale off towards the end of league was to do with peaking early or currently involved in hard training remains to be seen. Long overdue a good Ulster championship however well capable of reaching All-Ireland quarter final via the backdoor if required.

It is difficult to know if we have peaked.

McGeeney knows all too well that peaking too early is no good for the championship. However, unlike previous years his job was on the line this year. I am not sure if doing well-ish in division one is a security net for him if things go bad in the championship. Maybe we have peaked as a lot of the Armagh players do not have experience at this level and come the championship things will get a lot tougher.

naka

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 28, 2022, 04:23:30 PM
Murphy and McBearty up front with Brennan give, Donegal more scoring power, plus, Gallen of the bench. Donegal defence def ain't what it used to be, depending on who's suspended I take Donegal by 5. Some Man start the threat lol.
interesting,its definitely not a 5 point game
grugan/nugent/o neill
with campbell and turbitt off the bench
armagh will be fine in ballyboffey

straightred

Quote from: Hound on March 28, 2022, 04:38:37 PM

Agreed, both penalties were soft and the analysis completely overlooked how Monaghan managed to allow a pretty incompetent and rudderless Dublin back into the game. Dublin certainly didnt deserve to win the game and Kildare unfortunate to be the ones to lose out thanks to the very soft late free. Hats off to McCarron.

Hats off to Monaghan but I didn't think they were great either - they were just better than Dublin. Both sides were guilty of some terrible turnovers. In truth Monaghan were 4 or 5 points better and were lucky enough to get away with it in the end. They'll need to be better at closing out a game when the championship comes around.
Monaghan's penalty probably was a penalty but Dublin's wasn't. The defender won the ball cleanly and the Dublin fellow fell over. Didn't matter in the end.

Captain Scarlet

Was at a wedding and Radio 1 had me updated driving from the church to reception...feckin sickener for Kildare but we did leave points behind in Omagh.
None of the results went our way, but overall I wouldn't go overboard on them. It was the first time in years we didn't lie down at the sight of a Dubs jersey and to beat them is still massive.

The away form was poor and we have no defensive system to speak of, so plenty of concerns.

Looking forward to Mayo v Kerry and you'd imagine both sides will go full pelt.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: KickPass on March 28, 2022, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 28, 2022, 09:37:11 AM
He's a very dirty player tbh. Absolutely fantastic but wouldn't think twice about wrecking boys.

He's a pure hallion alright. Would not look out of place in an Armagh jersey..

I know it's not your first account, but if you want to be a good WUM it is better to make it slightly believable. Maybe try posting a number of regular posts before you go all-in trying to wind up Armagh ones.
Your first 10 football posts on this account were about Armagh!

2/10
Hasta la victoria siempre

Main Street

Quote from: straightred on March 28, 2022, 06:55:37 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 28, 2022, 04:38:37 PM

Hats off to Monaghan but I didn't think they were great either - they were just better than Dublin. Both sides were guilty of some terrible turnovers. In truth Monaghan were 4 or 5 points better and were lucky enough to get away with it in the end. They'll need to be better at closing out a game when the championship comes around.
Monaghan's penalty probably was a penalty but Dublin's wasn't. The defender won the ball cleanly and the Dublin fellow fell over. Didn't matter in the end.
Anyone who opines that the Monaghan penalty was soft deserves  a  6 weeks retreat in Guantanamo bay, our boy was tripped, mauled and hacked. The only issue was that the ref blew instantly and didn't let advantage play, that was a serious error of judgement as the loose ball was about to be struck into the back of the net.

balladmaker

Could just a well sit in the WTF thread ..... Eamon McGee writeup in SportsJoe.ie .... talk about biased and a blatant attempt to either secure Armagh suspensions, or at least have the ref. 'on notice' for a bit of leniency towards Donegal in Ballybofey.  You'd think there was only one team on the field by reading the article .... the Donegal men must be worried with what they saw on Sunday.

bennydorano

Quote from: balladmaker on March 29, 2022, 08:30:26 AM
Could just a well sit in the WTF thread ..... Eamon McGee writeup in SportsJoe.ie .... talk about biased and a blatant attempt to either secure Armagh suspensions, or at least have the ref. 'on notice' for a bit of leniency towards Donegal in Ballybofey.  You'd think there was only one team on the field by reading the article .... the Donegal men must be worried with what they saw on Sunday.

Read that myself and thought there's no way that should have been left unchallenged and Darren O'Sullivan backing him up. A bit of a stitch up job so close to championship. A coup for Donegal tho.

tyrone08

Quote from: bennydorano on March 29, 2022, 09:19:19 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 29, 2022, 08:30:26 AM

Read that myself and thought there's no way that should have been left unchallenged and Darren O'Sullivan backing him up. A bit of a stitch up job so close to championship. A coup for Donegal tho.

Said it earlier in a post that rightly or wrongly Armagh would be made the escape goat. Now aramgh do have a case to answer as this is the 2nd or 3rd incident with them in the league alone. Be interesting to see what action if any is taken this week.