NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Too much soft frees given again this weekend. One tackle, I forget which match, defender attempted to slap the ball front on and it was given as a foul.

Several other fouls given for supposed high tackles that weren't high at all. Possible influence from rugby? And players lowering their heads going in to get those frees.

Not easy for referees really mind, with so many vague rules and being changed so often.

Taylor

Quote from: full moon on February 21, 2022, 12:26:15 PM
Too much soft frees given again this weekend. One tackle, I forget which match, defender attempted to slap the ball front on and it was given as a foul.

Several other fouls given for supposed high tackles that weren't high at all. Possible influence from rugby? And players lowering their heads going in to get those frees.

Not easy for referees really mind, with so many vague rules and being changed so often.

At least there was no headlocks  ;D

Saw a free given against McCurry when I went home last night.
Defender holding his arm so he cant handpass it and a free is given against him.

Didnt notice it at the time but shite like this would piss players off to no end

APM

Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2022, 12:04:38 PM
Quote from: Armamike on February 21, 2022, 11:20:42 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2022, 10:11:18 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 21, 2022, 09:33:40 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2022, 08:28:37 AM
The crowd wasnt great yesterday but those of us who were there were treated to an exciting game.
A lot of missed chances for both sides but the wind was very unpredictable and credit to both teams.

Good to get off the mark while plenty of players getting a run out - the serious work only starts now.

On the other games:
Bubble has burst in the Orchard County - push up on their kick outs and they are absolutely clueless. Same as the last number of years.

Mayo will give any team a game - look to be in great shape this year. The Dubs will probably go down but wont make a difference when AI comes around.

Donegal are so so negative and that has to come from the management. Kerry will be hard to stop in this league.

If drawing a match which may well secure their division one status for another season is the 'bubble bursting' then we'll take that. Armagh underperformed badly for the first half but once they sorted out the midfield and kick out issues, they had enough chances to have won that match in the second half after dominating.

I wouldnt say you sorted out your kick out issues - Monaghan went down to 14 (and 13 men) which meant they could not press your kick out - this allowed you to go short.
15 v 15 and Monaghan win by 5 or 6

Monaghan were never going to be able to keep that intensity and level of pressing going the whole match.  If we're so easy to work out around kick outs, how come it took your management until the second half of that match to press up?

You boys are quer and touchy - wait until yous get beaten this weekend - some complaining then.

We did eventually suss you out. I was slightly disappointed we didnt push up earlier if Im being honest. However the bigger picture for us is to be 100% flying for the cship.
Monaghan saw the success we had and done it from the beginning.

Monaghan would have won had McManus stayed on IMHO.

Are you happy with your kick outs when teams press up on you?

Show me any team that is happy when the opposition press up on them.  This weekend, with the wind howling, the high press put keepers under even greater pressure. 
The thing is, Armagh showed against Dublin that given their ability to kick the ball once they broke the cover, so it is dangerous to push up on them. 

That being said, Armagh essentially played two real good halves of football in each of the first two games.  They played well for about 15-20 mins against Monaghan with an extra man - sometimes 2 extra men.  Apart from that, they haven't been great.  So leaving the 5pts aside, performances have been patchy and there is loads to work on. 

Kickouts are one of the key areas they are taking on water.  I'd be more worried if there were leaks all over the boat with problems in every position - a few years ago, there were times you would look at an Armagh performance and you wouldn't know where to begin to start sorting things out.  We definitely have moved on from that. 

yellowcard

The crowd wasnt great yesterday but those of us who were there were treated to an exciting game.
A lot of missed chances for both sides but the wind was very unpredictable and credit to both teams.

Good to get off the mark while plenty of players getting a run out - the serious work only starts now.

On the other games:
Bubble has burst in the Orchard County - push up on their kick outs and they are absolutely clueless. Same as the last number of years.

Mayo will give any team a game - look to be in great shape this year. The Dubs will probably go down but wont make a difference when AI comes around.

Donegal are so so negative and that has to come from the management. Kerry will be hard to stop in this league.

If drawing a match which may well secure their division one status for another season is the 'bubble bursting' then we'll take that. Armagh underperformed badly for the first half but once they sorted out the midfield and kick out issues, they had enough chances to have won that match in the second half after dominating.

I wouldnt say you sorted out your kick out issues - Monaghan went down to 14 (and 13 men) which meant they could not press your kick out - this allowed you to go short.

Monaghan were never going to be able to keep that intensity and level of pressing going the whole match.  If we're so easy to work out around kick outs, how come it took your management until the second half of that match to press up?

You boys are quer and touchy - wait until yous get beaten this weekend - some complaining then.

We did eventually suss you out. I was slightly disappointed we didnt push up earlier if Im being honest. However the bigger picture for us is to be 100% flying for the cship.

It's no different to any other side when pressed on their own kick out. The obvious solution then is to go long over the top of the press but you need to have the personnel then to win the ball in the middle third. Hughes continued to go short in the first half thus putting his team under pressure in horrible conditions. It helped that in the second half Geezer identified a few switches and personnel changes that improved matters as we needed more ball winners around the middle.

JoG2

Quote from: Taylor on February 21, 2022, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: full moon on February 21, 2022, 12:26:15 PM

At least there was no headlocks  ;D

Saw a free given against McCurry when I went home last night.
Defender holding his arm so he cant handpass it and a free is given against him.

Didnt notice it at the time but shite like this would piss players off to no end

And the bear hug from behind, player on the ball being severely restricted, cannot move or get rid of the ball, refs calling for over carrying. A head gear grinder

Armamike

Quote from: yellowcard on February 21, 2022, 01:04:20 PM

On the other games:

It's no different to any other side when pressed on their own kick out. The obvious solution then is to go long over the top of the press but you need to have the personnel then to win the ball in the middle third. Hughes continued to go short in the first half thus putting his team under pressure in horrible conditions. It helped that in the second half Geezer identified a few switches and personnel changes that improved matters as we needed more ball winners around the middle.

If the opponent wants to press, go long, vary it.  Keep them guessing.  We've enough good ball winners around midfield.  Every week in this division is a great learning experience for this side.
That's just, like your opinion man.

armaghniac

Quote from: Armamike on February 21, 2022, 01:13:42 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 21, 2022, 01:04:20 PM

On the other games:

If the opponent wants to press, go long, vary it.  Keep them guessing.  We've enough good ball winners around midfield.  Every week in this division is a great learning experience for this side.

Armagh showed a marked lack of movement during kickouts, whether this reflects the wet night or their training regime in the days previous. We have all seen the tactics where men are in the middle and half peel left and half right, but their marker doesn't know in advance which ones go which way.
The point about learning in Div 1 is very valid, whatever your plan is it gets well tested in contact with the enemy. Armagh especially need a robust plan for their half of the field, if that can be sorted (and it has improved) then there are forwards to get scores if the ball reaches them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

A good win for Mayo on Saturday night. I thought Diarmuid O'Connor was immense, my motm. If he could bring that form - which he has in him - to every game, perhaps we might be a bit closer to the elusive Sam.

Anyway, this is the league... I'm delighted that Orme is taking the chance to hold onto the jersey at least, Horan may chop and change once again next week so we won't know if he will start or not. I'm not convinced on Bryan Walsh, yes he scored a point but the game was out of Dublin's reach by then. He's had a few chances at this stage to be honest. I must admit I got it badly wrong on Jordan Flynn and the humble pie tastes quite nice actually :). He did very well the last night. I assume Ruane will be our number one midfielder this year so it's a decision for Horan to make regarding the other one.

I've seen mentioned that the game had no real intensity to it, I beg to differ, I thought Mayo brought very good intensity on Saturday and didn't give Dublin much change of any 50/50 balls. I was worried before the game that Dublin would want to lay down a marker, to not lose three games in a row in the league and to avenge last year's semifinal.

Just on Dublin, I thought Ross McGarry was unlucky to be substituted, one of the better forwards. Ciaran Kilkenny was probably their best player on the night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

LCohen

Quote from: KickPass on February 20, 2022, 11:19:35 PM
Good to see Allianz league Sunday showing the cheating by Armagh player to get McManus sent off. McGeeney / McKeever shithouse tactics haven't changed for 20 years

Got a clip that shows clearly what happened?

Zero protest from McManus which is normally a good indicator

LCohen

Quote from: Solo_run on February 20, 2022, 11:36:09 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on February 20, 2022, 11:21:28 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on February 20, 2022, 11:15:21 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2022, 11:07:10 PM
Quote from: LCohen on February 20, 2022, 10:38:01 PM
https://www.facebook.com/stephen.rafferty.77/videos/1141324076615559/

Joanne Cantwell thinks this is inconclusive

Shocking stuff from the officials but even worse from RTE who had 24 hours to analyse it and get it right or what are they actually paid to do? It's not like it was even close to the line.

Unbelievable comments he has made. As for the handholding when fouled, this has been going on for the best part of a decade. Even his beloved Kerry do it. Talk about nit-picking.

What game was he referring to about near hand tackling?

Armagh v Monaghan - Build up to the penalty...Grugan had his shirt pulled but he was also holding the players hand when he went down. Whelan said it was smart play but Spillane was having a meltdown about it, like nobody has ever done it before.

I have no problem with pundits picking up on the arm tugging.

That said it was a penalty BUT NOT a black card and the card had a telling impact on the match.

LCohen

Quote from: Solo_run on February 20, 2022, 11:38:17 PM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on February 20, 2022, 11:37:16 PM
Did Armagh use 6 subs, or are the rules changed again?

I heard on the commentary Armagh used a blood sub with O'Neill - do not know how accurate that was though although he went down the tunnel at the end being carried.

Don't think that last bit is true

LCohen

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 21, 2022, 08:18:44 AM
Reading back I have to laugh people sitting at home watching on tv criticising the quality of the Tyrone game. The game was play on a heavy wet mucky pitch with a 45 mph cross wind. I was at the match and all things considered found it a decent enough watch. Although it was low scoring there was plenty of goal chances and both teams went at each other.

Also a lot of the same people that criticised the game were bringing up the small crowd. Again these were the same people sitting at home behind a tv watching it. I do agree though that a lot of Tyrone supporters who in the past would have mocked Derry or Kerry support bases are the same people who are now very picky about when attending games. Kerry now actually have a larger support than Tyrone for most games.

I was happy enough with the Tyrone performance under the circumstances. Thought Burns, Munroe, Meyler, Kennedy, Canavan and McCurry had good games. Paudie McNulty did ok for his first game back and Nathan Donnelly worked hard. They'll have a decision or two to make next week now with the 4 boys back and if Mattie was available. McShane will be pushing hard to get back in as well.

Fair enough comments.

Conditions were brutal. This weekend's games are very difficult to analyse. Tyrone will be happy on most fronts

LCohen

On the other games:

Burst bubble?

Dear oh Dear.

Main Street

Quote from: Solo_run on February 20, 2022, 11:36:09 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on February 20, 2022, 11:21:28 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on February 20, 2022, 11:15:21 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 20, 2022, 11:07:10 PM
Quote from: LCohen on February 20, 2022, 10:38:01 PM
https://www.facebook.com/stephen.rafferty.77/videos/1141324076615559/

Joanne Cantwell thinks this is inconclusive

Shocking stuff from the officials but even worse from RTE who had 24 hours to analyse it and get it right or what are they actually paid to do? It's not like it was even close to the line.

Unbelievable comments he has made. As for the handholding when fouled, this has been going on for the best part of a decade. Even his beloved Kerry do it. Talk about nit-picking.

What game was he referring to about near hand tackling?

Armagh v Monaghan - Build up to the penalty...Grugan had his shirt pulled but he was also holding the players hand when he went down. Whelan said it was smart play but Spillane was having a meltdown about it, like nobody has ever done it before.
it looked to be a bit of foul play from both, poor defending and a soft enough penalty. The footage of the McManus red card  was unclear, I'd say he took a dig, gave one in return and the Armagh player hit the deck clutching his face, what to say about that?  smart play or fair play?
In the interests of balance and objectivity  :)  yes, McCarran got the softest of frees, he wasn't fouled at all.

Solo_run

Quote from: LCohen on February 22, 2022, 11:24:54 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on February 20, 2022, 11:38:17 PM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on February 20, 2022, 11:37:16 PM
Did Armagh use 6 subs, or are the rules changed again?

I heard on the commentary Armagh used a blood sub with O'Neill - do not know how accurate that was though although he went down the tunnel at the end being carried.

Don't think that last bit is true

Happened at the end of the game not when he initially went off