The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 31, 2014, 01:23:04 PM

QuoteAt least 12 months anyway.

Now now I think you know his point, I agree with him.

I know his point, but I don't know if I agree with him. To say they'll never have a better chance assumes that they won't continue to progress, either in terms of players they can buy when they are in the CL, or in terms of the players at the club flourishing even more under a regime and a game plan that suits them. Certainly I would hope they can improve defensively next season. Obviously the CL will be a strain on the squad, but you'd hope and expect that the squad would be supplemented before next season.

Look, it's certainly a good chance for Liverpool this season, but it's ahead of schedule and I don't think it marks the last serious challenge they can make.

brokencrossbar1

The Spurs fan in the bottom corner, lip read him... ;D

'Tha's why we're shit!!!'

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EC Unique on March 31, 2014, 01:16:34 PM
Top of the table with 6 games to play! Anything other than the title would have to be disappointing for Liverpool fans. This is a serious chance and a chance and a chance that might not come again for a while.

I know the temptation is to say this is a flash in the pan from Liverpool but I don't think this team is going away any time soon and will be around for a while yet. Bar them selling Suarez or something which is always possible (but something I don't think will happen this Summer). It's a young side (apart from Gerrard) with a talented young manager and they will strengthen in the Summer. Although so will everyone else.

That said when you are top with 6 games to go you have to go for it.

J OGorman

Top of the table with 6 games to play! Anything other than the title would have to be disappointing for Liverpool fans. This is a serious chance and a chance and a chance that might not come again for a while.

yourself and other Utd fans keep thinking this season is a flash in the pan..how so? surely the team under Rodgers will continue to grow and develop? Gerrard has another few years left in him and the rest of the squad is young enough. City and Chelsea will continue to spend silly money to bolster their squads, Liverpool, Utd, Spurs and Arsenal to a lesser degree.

If say, Chelsea do not win the league, how much of that is down to offloading top quality strikers and leaving themselves with that cheatin OAP E'too and the continuosly underfiring Torres? Poor management

Gazzler

Source?

Hound

I think it could be regarded as a "flash in the pan".

We could have a decent season next season and still find ourselves behind City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United. Depending on how their new buys settle in. But I think the worst we could do next year is just miss out on champions league - unlike recent years when we weren't at the races at all.

Hasn't harmed us one bit in the end that we had relatively quiet summer and january transfer windows. The regulars now know each other's game inside out, so we're very cohesive. Nobody in the current starting XI who wasn't with the club 12 months ago (although personally I'd have Sakho in ahead of Agger).

Andy Carroll to look forward to next week. There's a man with something to prove to Rodgers! (Not to mention Downing and Cole)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

I know his point, but I don't know if I agree with him. To say they'll never have a better chance assumes that they won't continue to progress, either in terms of players they can buy when they are in the CL, or in terms of the players at the club flourishing even more under a regime and a game plan that suits them. Certainly I would hope they can improve defensively next season. Obviously the CL will be a strain on the squad, but you'd hope and expect that the squad would be supplemented before next season.

Look, it's certainly a good chance for Liverpool this season, but it's ahead of schedule and I don't think it marks the last serious challenge they can make.

The biggest factor in Liverpool's success has been lack of European Football, not having those games and travel is a massive advantage in terms of recovery and freshness in my opinion. They have a very settled team and require only tweaking from match day to match day. Next season that will all change as will expectation. This is will be their best chance for the next few years until structures and squad are in place to really cope with UCL and EPL demands simultaneously.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

OK, I might buy that. But I see no reason why they won't continue to develop. Obviously the other teams, and Man United, will also continue to develop and invest. I just think it's too easy to say 'If they don't win it this year they never will'. There were many (including myself) who said they had no chance of winning it THIS year. Now suddenly it's their best and only chance. Hard to be that definitive I think.

Also, just on the champions league thing, it obviously helps this year that the team is rested and relatively setted (very settled in this run). However with the larger squad that this success will allow them, and critically with higher quality signings, then they will be better positioned to deal with that load. It won't be *this* squad that's having to deal with the European Games. Having said that, you may be right, and it may take a step back before any new signings will be as comfortable as the squad is now.

Walter Cronc

Really hope Liverpool go on and win it.

Have so much respect for Gerrard and Rodgers.

Not a fan of that Henderson lad though. Anyone else notice the mouthing he does at other players??

AZOffaly

I think he's generally a quiet lad. Are you talking about the mouthing he was doing to Danny Rose yesterday? I thought that was more of a slagging than a mouthing. He would have played a lot at underage with Rose I'm sure.

If there's one player that epitomises the work Rodgers is doing at Anfield it's Henderson. Unrecognisable from the player he was two seasons ago.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2014, 02:01:23 PM
I think he's generally a quiet lad. Are you talking about the mouthing he was doing to Danny Rose yesterday? I thought that was more of a slagging than a mouthing. He would have played a lot at underage with Rose I'm sure.

If there's one player that epitomises the work Rodgers is doing at Anfield it's Henderson. Unrecognisable from the player he was two seasons ago.

Theres no denying his work rate and improvement it just always seems that he gets involved in the slagging too much. I'm sure it goes on all over the field, I just tend to notice him on camera.

Gazzler

So the same fellas who wrote off Liverpool all season are already writing them off for next season  ;D
This Liverpool team is here to stay. They will only get better and that's a scary thought.
United will spend gazillions but Moyes will still have them playing like turnips. Arsenal will buy 1 player and go great for 3/4 of the season then blow up and settle for 4th.
City and Chelsea will strengthen alright but if Rodgers buys wisely and keeps the core of that team together they will be challenging again next season.
I can see Liverpool conquering Europe in a few seasons.
Rodgers is becoming one of the best young managers in the game.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2014, 01:58:39 PM
OK, I might buy that. But I see no reason why they won't continue to develop. Obviously the other teams, and Man United, will also continue to develop and invest. I just think it's too easy to say 'If they don't win it this year they never will'. There were many (including myself) who said they had no chance of winning it THIS year. Now suddenly it's their best and only chance. Hard to be that definitive I think.

Also, just on the champions league thing, it obviously helps this year that the team is rested and relatively setted (very settled in this run). However with the larger squad that this success will allow them, and critically with higher quality signings, then they will be better positioned to deal with that load. It won't be *this* squad that's having to deal with the European Games. Having said that, you may be right, and it may take a step back before any new signings will be as comfortable as the squad is now.

No one is say is it's their only chance, just potentially their best chance because with the stupid money City and Chelsea allied to Man United's resources they will have to work very hard in the next few years to match that and if they build/increase/move stadium that will also affect on-field performance.

Carpe Deim as they say.
#newbridgeornowhere

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 31, 2014, 01:53:01 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

The biggest factor in Liverpool's success has been lack of European Football, not having those games and travel is a massive advantage in terms of recovery and freshness in my opinion. They have a very settled team and require only tweaking from match day to match day. Next season that will all change as will expectation. This is will be their best chance for the next few years until structures and squad are in place to really cope with UCL and EPL demands simultaneously.
The biggest factor in Liverpools success this season is having some very good footballers. Mourinho complained about Liverpool having a week off to rest.
Liverpool played 3 matches in 8 days - 3 wins
Chelsea 2 matches in 7 days - 1 win

Good man Jose

Bingo

Id much prefer to see this season out, which will have many twists and turns before it draws to a close, than to debate whats going to happen next season.

Mystic mEC is never far wrong though  :o