Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

ck who are the people not accepted in mainstream gaa what college are they over?

Kickham csc

Quote from: oakleafer on February 11, 2016, 12:10:26 PM
QuoteTurn it into an u-21 competition.
Problem solved.

Agreed.

They'll have 3 years to play Sigerson - you have to draw the line somewhere. This would prevent colleges trying to recruit well established county players to come and do masters courses at their establishment. I'm not against any mature student going back to college, good luck to them - they just aren't eligible to play sigerson.

I thought this had already been resolved, i.e Rules have been passed that you have 4 (or 5) years to play at college. So after freshers, each player would have 3-4 years at Sigerson. sligo could caught out on this last year regarding the Student Officer, as new rules limit the available years and prevent student officers.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Kickham csc on February 11, 2016, 12:04:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2016, 09:06:57 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 11, 2016, 07:53:28 AM
Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2016, 11:26:23 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 10, 2016, 10:54:11 PM
How many of the UUJ team have been there since freshers?. Killian Clarke and Argue weren't.. Clarke was in AIT and Argue in DIT.. Paddy McBrearty was in Maynooth. Ryan McHugh was in Sligo It as was Evan Regan

Regan doing a Masters.

It's absolutely insane. UUJ winNing the Sigerson would make a mockery of the competition.

The Sigerson has been a mockery for a long time but that's what makes it interesting. Its purely about which Uni has the best players in any given year and watching a whos who of county players lining out for a team makes the games interesting. Tralee where at it years ago, DIT have been at it - UUJ aren't doing anything that they weren't doing 15 years ago. In my view the Sigerson is a competition that isn't taken too seriously, outside those that are taking part.

Nope. Vast majority of colleges don't field teams of players they nearly entirely poached from other colleges' courses. DCU got some abuse but they never did anything of the level of UUJ. What Jordanstown are doing is precipitating change by being so brazen in their abuse of the system.

Any evidence of this abuse other than the usual "dogs on the street" know.

If they were so brazen then why have they not been punished???

And a point of note;

UCD brought in scholarships to the GAA in 95-96, followed by DCU etc.
So is UCD's Sigerson win in 96 tainted? It must be, they had scholarship students, nobody else had!!!

Students transfer all the time, change of course, college closer to home etc, and if a student wants to go to a college to get a scholarship, then why not. And if UUJ is offering a good scholarship package, and a student want to avail of it, why the negative response. Surely everybody should be asking why their colleges are not stepping up to the plate in regards to scholarships.

This whole UUJ being the bad boys goes the whole way back to the 80's, when they had the audacity to enter the Sigerson. They were met with resistance from the established Sigerson colleges at the time due to the Jordanstown being a Poly and having HNDs etc. and the elite colleges at the time were not happy about it.

The fact that they are being focused on here, while giving other colleges a bye ball is a joke.

And finally, I'll go back to my first point. Any evidence of this abuse other than the usual "dogs on the street" know and if they were so brazen then why have they not been punished???

I wouldn't expect any sort of response,  this chap moral principles are skewed by parties involved. He doesn't even have the gumption to stand behind what he says. If you checked him out for a pair of balls, you only find a gaping fanny.

It's not so long ago that he was decrying Roscommon lads not being able to go to university without scholarships and now he's bitching about other universities offering sports scholarships.

Jinxy

Quote from: Kickham csc on February 11, 2016, 12:36:39 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

They'll have 3 years to play Sigerson - you have to draw the line somewhere. This would prevent colleges trying to recruit well established county players to come and do masters courses at their establishment. I'm not against any mature student going back to college, good luck to them - they just aren't eligible to play sigerson.

I thought this had already been resolved, i.e Rules have been passed that you have 4 (or 5) years to play at college. So after freshers, each player would have 3-4 years at Sigerson. sligo could caught out on this last year regarding the Student Officer, as new rules limit the available years and prevent student officers.

Doesn't solve the problem of lads taking up nonsense courses as mature students for the sole purpose of playing football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 11, 2016, 09:42:04 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 11, 2016, 08:27:25 AM
Turn it into an u-21 competition.
Problem solved.

What about the students over 21?

What about them?
Thousands of hurlers and footballers don't actually play with their college you know.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Jinxy on February 11, 2016, 12:59:09 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

Doesn't solve the problem of lads taking up nonsense courses as mature students for the sole purpose of playing football.

You mean a Masters or a PGCE are nonsense courses?

Syferus

Quote from: Kickham csc on February 11, 2016, 01:07:30 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

When the main reason they are in that college is because of the moneyhat they were given because they're good at football, yeah. Most of the big players would never choose to go to the UK and squander SUSI money if not for the money on offer.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2016, 01:22:53 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

When the main reason they are in that college is because of the moneyhat they were given because they're good at football, yeah. Most of the big players would never choose to go to the UK and squander SUSI money if not for the money on offer.

FOAD you free state pig.

Plenty of intercounty GAA players from the 26 have gone over to university in England. Colm McFadden being one, Caoimhaoin King of Meath being another and I'm sure there are plenty other.

Now desist from talking out of your little weasel hole.

shark

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2016, 01:33:59 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

FOAD you free state pig.

Plenty of intercounty GAA players from the 26 have gone over to university in England. Colm McFadden being one, Caoimhaoin King of Meath being another and I'm sure there are plenty other.

McFadden did his undergrad in NUIG and won a Sigerson with them in 2002. The point made was a valid one.

tiempo

Remove elite player pathways i.e. reduced entry requirements based on football/hurling ability.
Each student should be at University on their academic merits.
The elite pathways are at odds with the cornerstone of the Association which is community and volunteer ethos and an amateur code.

Kickham csc

Problem solved.

Agreed.

FOAD you free state pig.

From the SUSI webpage

Student Grant

The Closing date to submit new applications for the 2015/2016 Academic year is 1st August 2015

For all information on student grants for 2015/16 please go to susi.ie

The student grant is the main source of financial help available from the Irish State for students in full-time Post Leaving Certificate Courses (PLCs) and full-time higher education undergraduate courses. Support is available to eligible students in most colleges in Ireland as well as eligible Irish students in many colleges in Northern Ireland, the UK and other EU States.

For eligible students, the grant is there to help with the various costs of participating in further or higher education. Students on part-time courses, access or foundation courses (in higher education institutions) and short courses are not eligible to apply for a student grant.

Family and/or personal income is a key factor that will be assessed when you apply for a student grant but there are also some other conditions. Full details on the Student Grant scheme (2015), including associated legislation, are available at susi.ie

So..... southern students might not be giving up or squandering SUSI money as they may well be still qualified to receiving SUSI support while studying in NI, UK and EU.

But obviously all those courses are OK, it's just the pesky UUJ courses ::)

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: shark on February 11, 2016, 01:41:24 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

FOAD you free state pig.

McFadden did his undergrad in NUIG and won a Sigerson with them in 2002. The point made was a valid one.

How so?

McFadden went to Liverpool to do a postgrad. What is the difference between him doing that and lads from the 26 going to universities in the O6 for the same purpose?

I think The Sigerson is a joke of a competition but there is plenty of hypocrisy flying round here. He was bemoaning the removal of sports scholarships as lads from Roscommon would not be able to attend university in Dublin. Yet he is morally outraged at UUJ attracting players with scholarships. His outright double standards are noticeable as is his spineless refusal to address them.

BennyHarp

So what if Universities are attracting counties players?? It makes the Sigerson Cup unique in the football calendar and it would be of no interest at all, to anyone, if it consisted of non county players or U21s. It's up to the universities who they allow onto courses and therefore anyone studying a course should be allowed to play. Its not the Universities job to develop players for county teams or nurture underage talent. A University's football club's objective is to win the Sigerson Cup - let them at I say!
That was never a square ball!!

shark

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2016, 01:59:38 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

FOAD you free state pig.

How so?

McFadden went to Liverpool to do a postgrad. What is the difference between him doing that and lads from the 26 going to universities in the O6 for the same purpose?

I think The Sigerson is a joke of a competition but there is plenty of hypocrisy flying round here. He was bemoaning the removal of sports scholarships as lads from Roscommon would not be able to attend university in Dublin. Yet he is morally outraged at UUJ attracting players with scholarships. His outright double standards are noticeable as is his spineless refusal to address them.

For post grads, fair enough. But he mentioned SUSI grants, so he was quite clearly talking about undergrads. And it's a fair comment, in my opinion, that very few prospective students from the 26 counties are likely to give up their option of cheap education that easily.

The Sigerson has problems for sure. I can't see, albeit from an outside view, how it can be so difficult to outline eligibility and base registration on that. However, it was and always will be a player's competition. I was one of those players once and I loved it. Within two years of leaving college I stopped looking out for that teams results, as my team mates had all finished. That's how it is.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: shark on February 11, 2016, 02:33:16 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2016, 01:59:38 PM
Problem solved.

Agreed.

FOAD you free state pig.

How so?

For post grads, fair enough. But he mentioned SUSI grants, so he was quite clearly talking about undergrads. And it's a fair comment, in my opinion, that very few prospective students from the 26 counties are likely to give up their option of cheap education that easily.

The Sigerson has problems for sure. I can't see, albeit from an outside view, how it can be so difficult to outline eligibility and base registration on that. However, it was and always will be a player's competition. I was one of those players once and I loved it. Within two years of leaving college I stopped looking out for that teams results, as my team mates had all finished. That's how it is.

But that's not necessarily true as Creggan pointed out.

You either fundamentally have a problem with universities being able to attract/entice players with scholarships or you don't.

You can't bemoan universities getting players due to scholarships on one hand then defend it on the other as he has done.

I personally feel county players shouldn't be playing university football as a lot of these guys have too much on their plate. I'd also have a moral objection to sports scholarships. These guys get benefits from their standing as GAA players, at the cost of who though? Other students who may have more of a claim to third level education?

But I would apply my own opinion fairly, across the board - evidently this is not the case here as one university is being singled out  for a practice that is seemingly commonplace.