Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

I'm a bit confused by the panel. How many players have not been selected and instead allowed to play for a university?

And I presume Warrenpoint players not been selected as they have the All-Ireland series to commit to at club level.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Caolan mooney (and maybe Conor Gough or Chris Duggan) for Jordanstown (I think), Micky Cunningham and Gearard McGovern for Queens ( I think ) and Barry O'hagan and the 2 Johnstons for St. Mary's. However I'm not sure wether or not the university panels have been released yet.

Line Ball

The panel is as follows as mentioned above:

Stephen Kane Cill Chua
Kieran Gordon Loch an Oileain
Gerard Collins RGU
Brendan McArdle Eanach Cluana
Arthur McConville Cluain Daimh
Niall Madine Sabhall
Damian Turley RGU
Conor Maginn Ath Bhriain
Cathal Crilly Caislean an Mhealluín
Packie Downey Droim Gaith
Chris McKay Naomh Eoin
Peter Fitzpatrick Baile Uí Mháirtin
Peter Turley RGU
Kevin Anderson Eanach Cluana
Donal O'Hare Boireann
Conor Laverty Cill Chua
Luke Howard Ath Bhriain
Darren O'Hagan Cluain Daimh
Danny McKay Naomh Eoin
Conor Garvey Droichead Mhaigh Eo
Kevin McKernan An Bhoireann
Niall Donnelly Tulach Lios
Darragh O'Hanlon Cill Chua
Paul Devlin Cill Chua
Conall McGovern Boireann
Malachy Magee Clann na Banna

I must say that it is a refreshing with plenty of new faces.  How many of them will make the NFL is another thing but as long as Mc Corry gives as many as possible a chance to prove themselves then at least we will have meaningful competition for places rather than some just happy to turn up and take the gear.  What worries me is that there are no 'man markers' in his squad, a lad you could say to 'go, mark him, stick tight, deny possession, don't let him round you, contact at all times, give him hell.'  There is no one in that squad who can do that and hopefully he can bring in a few of the Kilcoo men in the future who perfectly suited to this.  If there are any other men with these qualities in the county who do you think they are?

Shamrocks Gaelp

LB, I honestly thought that he would have introduced Niall and Daryl branningan to the set up, with other sticky man markers like Gerard McEvoy or Gearard McGovern or even Miceal O'Hare, however he has been overlooked (allegedly) for the U21's and has commitments to the Points all Ireland drive.

elk

Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on December 29, 2014, 11:57:39 PM
LB, I honestly thought that he would have introduced Niall and Daryl branningan to the set up, with other sticky man markers like Gerard McEvoy or Gearard McGovern or even Miceal O'Hare, however he has been overlooked (allegedly) for the U21's and has commitments to the Points all Ireland drive.
No allegedly about it he has not been named in the squad yet 3 other point lads have.

Shamrocks Gaelp

But he may not have been overlooked, he could have pulled out or declined an invite to join the panel or the trial games

Leftmidfield

He neither pulled out nor declined an invite to join the panel. He was simply overlooked (a nice way of saying Dawson thinks he is not good enough) which is an absolute disgrace as he is one of the best defenders in the county at least at under 21 Level

snoopdog

Anyone know Down 15 today. Looks like a poor enough performance against div 2 team that we will be competing against for promotion.

NP 76

S Kane
D o Hagan L Howard G Collins
D Turley  N Madine  B Mc Ardle
    K Anderson   C Mc Kay
P Devlin C maginn k Mc Kernan
C Laverty A Mc Conville D o Hare
Subs
C Crilly for K Anderson
D Mc Kay for C Mc Kay
M Magee for A Mc Conville
C Garvey for C Maginn
C Mc Govern for D o Hare

Shamrocks Gaelp

Poor game. Positives to take out of it none the less

SHEEDY

Quote from: snoopdog on January 04, 2015, 03:27:54 PM
Anyone know Down 15 today. Looks like a poor enough performance against div 2 team that we will be competing against for promotion.
1 s kane 2 d O'Hagan 3 L howard 4 g collins 5 d turley 6 n madine 7 b mcardle 8 k Anderson 9 c mckay 10 p devlin 11 c maginn 12 k mckernan 13 c Laverty 14 a mcconville  15 d o'hare.
subs that came on were; c crilly, c garvey, m magee, d mckay and c mc govern.

early days but it was a very disjointed down performance. after a bright start down faded and cavan deservedly won.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Quote from: Shamrocks Gaelp on January 04, 2015, 04:48:12 PM
Poor game. Positives to take out of it none the less

I'd love to know what the positives were as I'm struggling to think of any.  Two corner backs maybe.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Full back line was my only positive to be fair. Annoyed at the way Cavan completely compromised out sweeper system by pushing up so they only left 3 men back yet nothing was done about it. Not liking this zonal marking, sweeper system already.

Highlander3

Mourne Rover

The corner backs were OK. Madine had a few handling errors but competed well at both centre half and midfield and at least give us a physical presence down the middle.

Apart from that, and a couple of flashes from Laverty, it was a poor display from what was admittedly an understrength team. We did not start too badly, but conceding two goals in about a minute, one from a dubious penalty and the second from a pretty dreadful McKernan mistake,  effectively finished us off before half time.

It's early days, but we might have expected a bit more from McKernan and O'Hare. Devlin is another experienced player who failed to impose himself apart from a couple of late points when the game was really over. His missed penalty indicated a lack of confidence, and he was lucky to get away from a yellow for a late follow-through.

Very few of the newer faces did themselves many favours, and we can anticipate quite a few changes for the trip to Monaghan next week.