Who's next for the Cork hurlers??

Started by barryhatrick, March 11, 2009, 12:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 02:22:26 PM
I don't think there will be a single player from the strikers dropped and fully expect to see each and every one selected for the second half of the 2009 season...
Dellusional Heffo, you really are.

Explain Reillers?

heffo

Quote from: bingobus on March 11, 2009, 02:28:06 PM
I think Frank Murphy should be given a crack at the job, about time he justified his wages  :D

Well he has been a selector on numerous occasions and I remember seeing him in '99 sidling up to JBM to give him a few pointers..

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 01:40:47 PM
Paul O Connor apparently is favorite. Not a bad choice at all.
Then you've got the likes of Donal O Grady's name been thrown around.

I doubt he'll work with the current CB. I doubt they'll bring him back either if FM is still in place.

And round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round it goes.

Personally, I don't give a shit ( In a Morgan Freeman accent from Shawshank Redemption ).

orangeman

Listening to Donal O'Grady on the news piece on RTE, he just can't wait to get invloved - when asked if we was willing, he stuttered and muttered.

He simply can't wait to get back in again.

Reillers

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 11, 2009, 02:42:19 PM
I don't think there will be a single player from the strikers dropped and fully expect to see each and every one selected for the second half of the 2009 season...

Explain Reillers?

There are players who wont and know they wont get played, there are better players, younger players on the team, waiting to get in, and surpise surprise, the 08 players do not mind that.
Did you see Sully have a fit when he was brought off twice last year.
No I remember him and Donal Og tearing up and down the sideline cheering the lads on.
I remember the 08 players, Sully and Corcoran saying to eachother that they're surprised that Naughton hadn't gone a run yet back in 06.
I know that, according to Leigh Desmond that the players make new lads feel like they've been on the team for years, like they were part of the AI winning team.

But no, oh I forgot, the players want to run everything according to OM, Heffo, Dowling, Indianna, all of which criticize the players for no other reason then to criticize them.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 07:38:19 PM

Explain Reillers?

But no, oh I forgot, the players want to run everything according to OM, Heffo, Dowling, Indianna, all of which criticize the players for no other reason then to criticize them.

I've posted consistent reasons as to why I have issues with the strikers - you seem unwilling to let those reasons near you and prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and hum a mantra whilst holding a picture of Donal Og as you rock back & forth in your rocking chair in a darkened room..

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 08:23:34 PM

Explain Reillers?

I've posted consistent reasons as to why I have issues with the strikers - you seem unwilling to let those reasons near you and prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and hum a mantra whilst holding a picture of Donal Og as you rock back & forth in your rocking chair in a darkened room..

:D :D :D :D :D

Reillers

Explain Reillers?

Oh ya, conspiracies about the GPA, unfound accusations you made about players personal finances..etc. Like I said, critcizim for nothing proved.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 08:36:55 PM

Explain Reillers?

Oh ya, conspiracies about the GPA, unfound accusations you made about players personal finances..etc. Like I said, critcizim for nothing proved.

'Comical Reillers'...

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 09:04:11 PM

Explain Reillers?

'Comical Reillers'...
You're the one who's said it, and proved nothing, when asked for proof off ya ran.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 09:19:24 PM

Explain Reillers?

'Comical Reillers'...
You're the one who's said it, and proved nothing, when asked for proof off ya ran.

I've answered every question asked of me and have been consistent from start to finish - what would you like answered?

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 09:29:46 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 09:19:24 PM

Explain Reillers?

'Comical Reillers'...

I've answered every question asked of me and have been consistent from start to finish - what would you like answered?

:D :D :D :D :D :D..Oh lord you're serious.

Oh I don't know, lets start with the fact that you said you couldn't stick your head outside the door, turn on a tv or look in the paper without seeing the Cork players advertising something.
When I asked you for relevant examples you showed me an article from 2 years ago and you said a newspaper.
I live in Cork and I can't remember the last time I saw a Cork player on a billboard, the last person I can remember was Corcoran a few years ago.
As for adds, the last time I remember seeing a GAA player, never mind a Cork GAA player on an add is a Dublin players for a car I think it was and KK player for an energy drink.
Oh sorry ya Sean Og ages ago did an add for fit for life thing for Supervalue with Derval O Rourke and a Children in Need add as well. And I don't even remember seeing Cork players advertising in Cork papers, never mind other ones.

So what media land are you living in?

orangeman

When will patsy O'Grady be taking over ?

anglocelt39

We're only at the end of the beginning of this sorry tale I'm afraid. This has been going on how many years now and, frankly, the rest of the country have had a gut full of it. In my opinion, CORK have brought disgrace on themselves and the GAA in that (once) proud county. Every county in the country, BAR NONE, has it's issues with County Board, Players etc. etc. etc. Other counties just sort it out among themselves, and don't come back and tell me that Cork is unique among the 32 counties and have to annoy the rest of the country with their petty squabbles.

I'd lay into CCB apologists if they could be found on this board, in fairness perhaps they have better things to be doing.

The crack starts now-split number 1 when the 08 boys are forced to mix it with the lads that have been playing for the last few months. Split number 2 when, with the help of god, a "team" comprised of 2008 strikers (predominanly) gets the tar kicked out of it by Kilkenny, Waterford and a few others. I think it's important for the greater good of GAA ON THIS ISLAND that the 08 strikers, now they have honoured us with their playing presence, get a few floggings to within an inch of their lives over the next few months. Why, it's important that people/players countrywide clearly see it's the game that's important, the rest of us are just passing through. And when that happens, will be interesting to see the support levels coming from the Patrick Street shoppers, Des Bishop and co.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Reillers

Time ripe for Cork to get their house in order

On Gaelic Games: The Cork saga has lessons for all involved, not least the clubs who should demand better governance of the county in future, writes SEAN MORAN

AS THE forces of liberation rolled onwards, the Cork situation came to resemble Downfall more strikingly than most of the send-ups inspired by Oliver Hirschbiegel's much parodied film.

Last night's final convulsions in what has become the annual Cork upheaval clears the way for a return to normality, but for the first time since skirmishing broke out over six years ago the lessons of the whole fractious sequence of events may at last be learned.

GAA president Nickey Brennan was becoming increasingly impatient with the slow-grinding wheels of attempts either to resolve the issue or win the battle and the sight of the association's biggest county divided and in disarray became easy to portray as an embarrassment in the midst of the 125th anniversary celebrations and as Croke Park's strategic plan is rolled out.

In fact, events in Cork are a useful indicator to the GAA and its membership of the responsibilities involved in running a county's affairs. But how did matters get to this stage? Is it a simple tale of authority frustrated and democracy triumphant? It's hard to be anything other than ambiguous on this point because it was the clubs that allowed the untenable situation to develop in the first place.

Twice Gerald McCarthy, who stepped down last night as senior hurling manager, was endorsed by the county committee and on both occasions the decision was taken despite obvious alarm bells about the advisability of what they were doing. It took nearly four months for the clubs to assert their opinions on McCarthy's appointment and the autocracy of the county executive.

And even that may not have happened were it not for the major effort put into involving the clubs by the 2008 panel of players.

It's not just in Cork that the suspicion of being easily led hovers over county committees. Around the country there is an established perception that dynamic and innovative individuals prefer to restrict their involvement to club rather than county.

But Cork is unique in having such a dominant figure from whom radiates so much of the county's positions and policy. The fact that Frank Murphy held such power was again the responsibility of various stakeholders within the county. The Cork secretary keeps his distance from the media and, as a result, he is someone who lives in the public mind mostly in caricature. That caricature is of a forensic weapon. People are outraged when it's turned on their interests, but it's the first thing the same people would reach for if under threat themselves.

County officers and representatives have had Frank available to pursue their aims and protect their interests within higher councils. Less than two years ago the senior hurlers enlisted his support in an attempt to defend the indefensible after unruly scenes before the championship match with Clare. After his best efforts were unable to mitigate the disciplinary sanctions taken, the players issued a statement complaining about the "bias against our county secretary Frank Murphy".

Even for managers otherwise unimpressed with the high-handedness, Murphy's speed dial will be the first to be pushed if potential suspension problems materialise.

At Croke Park level, where there is great ambivalence towards him – much of it on account of his dual role that exerts sizeable influence over setting the GAA's rules agenda and using it to protect his county's sectional interest – there is also an acknowledgement that if asked to put his vast knowledge of the rule book at the disposal of committees, he will oblige even if he has reservations about the initiatives under consideration.

With all of this avid seeking of his influence and patronage, it's not surprising Murphy reacts badly to being crossed and continually blurs the line between putting his formidable talents at the disposal of the association and using them to service his own ego.

I can remember a letter written to Páirc Uí­ Chaoimh by the Gaelic Writers' Association to remonstrate about an incident in which an Alsatian attacked two reporters (no sniggering down the back) drew a response that far from expressing contrition, mentioned the prospect of legal action (against the hounded) and occasioned enough nagging concern for it to be run past a lawyer.

The one group to confront his power and influence on a regular basis has been the county's senior hurlers. Three times now these confrontations have ended in defeat for the county authorities and by extension, Murphy himself. Viewed dispassionately, the issues at stake have not been conspicuously worth fighting over and have been all too easily reducible to the desire to exercise untrammelled power.

None of the parties to the Cork dispute are blameless. The players made tactical errors in the early stages of the crisis, effectively by taking refuge in the belief Gerald McCarthy would not make himself available for reappointment and finding themselves wrong-footed when the manager accepted two further years. If the players' refusal to spin against McCarthy during his second year in charge was disciplined and the reluctance to be candid in their opinion of him at the appointments committee was admirably restrained, that restraint quickly evaporated when it became clear that that the manager was to be reappointed.

McCarthy may have genuinely believed the players had come around to the idea of working with him and accepted the position on that basis. That was plausible up to the point at which it became clear that the players did want a change yet despite that knowledge McCarthy ploughed on regardless.

His vitriolic attack on Seán Ó hAilpín in November after the player had described the previous two years' management regime as "Mickey Mouse" was a glimpse of the no-holds-barred instincts of a man wounded by the casual dismissal of his coaching credentials. When it was obvious the players weren't coming back, the manager changed tack and became instead a bulwark against what he viewed as regrettable modern trends, such as professionalism. This was simply playing to prejudices against the same players he was trying to persuade to return.

Now that McCarthy is gone the challenge for the clubs in Cork is to ensure better governance of the county in the years ahead and that will entail more rigorous monitoring of what goes on at county committee rather than being prodded awake some months after a bad decision has been taken.

Neither should that need for scrutiny be lost on other counties.