Limerick v Tipperary AI Semi Final 16th August 2009

Started by youbetterbelieveit, August 11, 2009, 02:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

A new thread is worthy for this semi final pairing,

Everybody will be expecting Tipperary to produce the goods and beat Limerick in this match and really give Kilkenny a game in the final. I suspect alot of people will want to see tipp win on this basis.

However I believe Limerick will give Tipp one hell of a game, as historically there is very little between these two counties. Been Limerick bias and been brought up a mile from the Tipp border this is a game that I think limerick can win. It could be similiar to 2006 where Limerick were not suppose to beat Waterford.

An added bonus for Limerick is that it looks like both the Moran brother Ollie and Niall will be back and in contention for a place on the team. Which is been named tonight I believe.
Another significant advantage is the management on the line, McCarthy is alot more astute than Sheehy and in a close game this could swing it for Limerick.
Limerick haven't being hurling super all year and have one big performance in them, Scraping over Wexford, Laois and Dublin.
The final thing is Tipp haven't been playing aswell as the previous year and have only been hurling in patches,

All these things I think will help make Limerick more competitive and wont be over run  by Tipp as some suspect.

Looking forward to the game.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: youbetterbelieveit on August 11, 2009, 02:13:07 PM
Limerick having being hurling super all year

Really?

The first game v Waterford was one of the worst games of recent years while Waterford beat them comfortably in the replay. Limerick then scraped past Wexford and Dublin through sheer doggedness. Don't get me wrong Limerick are as honest and game as the day is long and those are admirable traits but they've never been known for their hurling ability. I think they probably will make it tough for Tipp as Limerick are guaranteed to get stuck in and won't stand back admiring them but I think Tipp will just have too much for them overall.

EddieMerx

Can't see Limerick causing an upset here, they are a very average side. I watched them in the first game against Waterford and they were brutal, watched them live in shocking conditions against Wexford and I am 100% convinced if the weather had of been good Wexford would have taken them. The only chance they have is if we have bad weather on Sunday and they can turn the game into a dog fight.

timmykelleher

I saw Limerick in their second half against Laois and thought they had no hope against Dublin.

I was wrong.

Against Laois, the Laois backs were able to walk out with the ball and if they had any forwards to receive the ball they would have put up a massive score.

Tipperary have these forwards and also their midfield can score from distance. Limerick have no hope. Unless I am wrong again....  ::)
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

johnneycool

Everything says Tipp but for some reason I won't be writing Limerick off just yet.

Tipp have the better forwards and even if they go to sleep for 20 minutes i'd have doubts about the Limerick forwards ability to make hay in this period, they've hit some awful wides to date.

I like the look of the Limerick defence though and if Foley and Geary can use the brains enough to prevent their lack of pace being exposed then the big scores that Tipp have been putting up early on may be somewhat curtailed. Seamus Hickey will need the game of his life to stop the Tipp midfield getting on top.

Right, Tipp by 4 to 6 points

orangeman

Can't see Limerick even getting close in this one. Tipp have the bit between their teeth and most commentators reckon that it will be Tipp who topple KK.

Roashter

Limerick always raise their game for Tipp and will probably do a lot better than people expect.
Remember, this bunch of Limerick players have pretty much held their own with Tipp over the past few years.

However, Tipp have just way too much up front for Limerick. Scoring forwards win games, and Tipp have just too many of these for Limerick.
I expect a close hard fought first 50 minutes with Tipp to push on in last quarter to win by 7 or 8 points.

lilpaulie85

If tipp don't hurl for the full seventy + minutes, Limerick could pull off an upset. tipp have fallen asleep for periods in their last couple of games. a trait that at this late stage in the championship can be the match lost. I think tipp should just have enough on the day, but as underdogs limerick are going to dublin with nothing to lose, and with another crack at the cats in the final to avenge 2007 limerick should be motivated. could be a cracker.
Chase the dream not the competition.

bottlethrower7

Paraic Maher at full-back? I don't get that. They should be priming him for center-back. That lad could be the making of Tipp over the coming years but I really don't think hes going to do it from the restrictive environment of full-back. To me this suggests Sheedy hasn't great faith in his defense. And after the Munster final I suppose its not hard to see why.

Lecale2

When are the teams named? Tonight?

I'd expect Tipp to give Kilkenny a run for their money in the final if they get past Limerick, and for that reason I'd like to see them win, but without a game in over a month they could be surprised.

ormondeboy

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 14, 2009, 08:46:53 AM
Paraic Maher at full-back? I don't get that. They should be priming him for center-back. That lad could be the making of Tipp over the coming years but I really don't think hes going to do it from the restrictive environment of full-back. To me this suggests Sheedy hasn't great faith in his defense. And after the Munster final I suppose its not hard to see why.

Maher has played all of his underage hurling at 3 for Tipp, kept Joe Canning in his pocket in the '06 minor All-Ireland and was arguably  MOTM in the u21 All-Ireland last year from full-back. He plays 3, 6 and 9 for sars depending on their requirements. Having Conor O'Mahoney approaching full health allowed Sheedy the luxury of putting Padraig Maher back at 3. O'Mahoney and Maher are central players full-stop. Young Maher had the inclination to drift towards the centre in his starts at wing-back for Tipp. They have options there yet with Shane Maher back to fitness, O'Brien and Michael Cahill (one to watch) for corner back, Fanning to full-back. Paul Curran has started every game he can under Sheedy and a confident, sure Paul Curran is a neccessity on a Tipp team with All-Ireland aspirations. He started his career with Tipp at corner back so providing his confidence is right allowing him to play from the front, I would have no fears of him. That said he hasn't been himself this year, so Sunday will tell a lot.
Full-back requires great understanding with your corner men (when to go, when to stay, calls etc). Maybe that confidence wasn't there with O'Brien at corner-back. O'Brien has let a few balls disasterously through him when playing from the front (last year v Waterford, this year v Cork and Waterford).

bottlethrower7

Hey OB, thats all fair enough - I wasn't doubting that Maher couldn't do a great job at 3. I just reckon he'd have more to offer the team as a whole at 6. To me he could become a very commanding and dominant center-back (from the little I've seen thus far). And we all know how important a player like that is to any team with high ambitions. Thats more where I was coming from. Tipp have struggled to get a center-back in that mold for quite a while. They've had decent enough hurlers there, but not the Seanie McMahon or even the Pat Hayes type player, who'll read the game perfectly and catch ball all day.

INDIANA

not sure about the tipp half forwards. Other than that they are superior than limerick in 10 out of the remaining 12 positions.

ormondeboy

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 14, 2009, 04:00:44 PM
Hey OB, thats all fair enough - I wasn't doubting that Maher couldn't do a great job at 3. I just reckon he'd have more to offer the team as a whole at 6. To me he could become a very commanding and dominant center-back (from the little I've seen thus far). And we all know how important a player like that is to any team with high ambitions. Thats more where I was coming from. Tipp have struggled to get a center-back in that mold for quite a while. They've had decent enough hurlers there, but not the Seanie McMahon or even the Pat Hayes type player, who'll read the game perfectly and catch ball all day.

Agreed BT, the pivotal position. We've waited nearly 40 years for one and then 2 come along. O'Mahoney in full health, which I believe he is getting close to, is a serious hurler. Incidentally he does great work up front for his club (wearing 14 but playing anywhere inside the opposition half). Padraig Maher is beyond a serious prospect, he has arrived. Best at 6 in future years alright, I reckon.

See you in September.

youbetterbelieveit

Limerick team has been annouced and it is good to see Ollie back to lead the forward line.

Limerick (SH v Tipperary): B Murray; D Reale, S Lucey, M O'Riordan; S Hickey, B Geary, M Foley; D O'Grady, G O'Mahony; J Ryan, O Moran, P Browne; D Breen, P McNamara, A O'Shaughnessy.