The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hound on January 27, 2009, 01:25:15 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 27, 2009, 01:09:49 PM
Quotebut would certainly be against using it for say Bohs to play a Champions League game in.

Why's that Hound?  As opposed to Munster -v- Leinster, why are the Phibsboro mob less worthy?
Just my views Billy. And in fairness "certainly be against" would be over-stating it, but my gut is No, and I'd need to be persuaded.

Its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Bohs (or whoever the champs are) could draw say AC Milan in a final qualifer for the CL knock out stages.  If we allowed them to use Croker it would enable them to really market the game and create a lot of interest in their club, thus giving them the opportunity to be a real rival/competitor to the GAA.

Whereas playing Munster v Leinster or internationals at Croker doesnt give them any more exposure than they would get be playing elsewhere.

There might be flaws in that logic! But its what comes to mind...

Thanks Hound, wsn't winding, was genuinely interested.  I'd prefer to see Bohs (and Irish soccer) getting more exposure than rugby, myself - I think it's less of a threat.  From what I've seen, people will gravitate towards the 'major' sport they're best at, irrespective of the 'marketing', and far more dependent on the folk they meet when playing the games.  Like Hound, it's only a personal opinion.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

cicfada

They should be allowed to use Croke Park no doubt! How about a round figure of 3million for the privilege though!!!!!!!! Sure the Munster are well able to afford that with all the people in the supporters club!

Tankie

Quote from: cicfada on January 27, 2009, 02:25:18 PM
They should be allowed to use Croke Park no doubt! How about a round figure of 3million for the privilege though!!!!!!!! Sure the Munster are well able to afford that with all the people in the supporters club!

i think the standard fee would be a fair price. its no wonder the country is in the shitter with everyone just wanting to rip everyone off when they have the upper hand!
Grand Slam Saturday!

magpie seanie

Quote from: cicfada on January 27, 2009, 02:25:18 PM

I'd even say €3 mill was a bit steep. something in the €1.5-2 mill bracket would be fair enough {(82000-55000)*€70 = €1,890,000}.

thebandit

The Heineken Cup quarter-finals, to be played on the weekend of 11 / 12 April, 2009, are:
Cardiff Blues (1) v Toulouse (8) : Saturday 15.30
Leicester Tigers (4) v Bath Rugby (5) Saturday 18:00
Munster (2) v Ospreys (7) Sunday 13:00
Harlequins (3) v Leinster (6) Sunday 15:30

Where is the Harlequins v leinster game being played?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: thebandit on January 27, 2009, 03:09:33 PM
The Heineken Cup quarter-finals, to be played on the weekend of 11 / 12 April, 2009, are:

Twickenham stoop i should imagine although i suppose they could move it next door. Likewise Cardiff Blues.
This is Easter Saturday/Sunday so the pubs should do quite a trade too. Semis on Bank Holiday May weekend
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hound

A possible problem with Croker for the semis. The National Hurling League finals are scheduled for the same weekend.

Though they may not be scheduled for Croker. Although whether the game is in Croker or not, the GAA would presumably fix the NHL finals so they wouldnt clash to avoid a decrease in attendances.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thebandit on January 27, 2009, 03:09:33 PM

I think Quins will move it to Twickenham proper, which wil be good for the Leinster fans travelling, there'll be no shortage of tickets. Delighted Munsters game is Easter Sunday rather than Easter Saturday, as I'll be travelling to Kerry on Friday, would have made for a crazy drive up the next day!!

Declan

QuoteCentral Council has the say-so on the use of Croke Park for soccer and rugby for the duration of the Lansdowne Road development. This power was was given to them by a Congress vote. Central Council decided that they would make CP available for international matches only. I don't think there's anything to prevent them making another decision to make it available for some other type of competition. Myself, I can't see why they wouldn't, if asked and if it's available. What would be the point of refusing the money?

Hardy is spot on. Peter McKenna confirmed on Newstalk tonight that it's up to Central Council if they receive a request from IRFU/ERC. Mentioned without prejudicing any future requests that he imagined they would be looking at a similar financial arrangement as exists for internationals. At pains to state that its all hypothetical at the moment   

ludermor

Main Street

The possibility of an all Irish s/f has surely been totally jinxed already.

Dinny Breen

QuoteThe possibility of an all Irish s/f has surely been totally jinxed already.

True Leinster will probably play the Ospreys in the Millenium Stadium....
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Apologies if this has been brought up in another thread

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAA backs use of Croke Park for Heineken Cup semi-final

Saturday, 14 February 2009

GAA officials have this afternoon overwhelmingly given their backing to the use of Croke Park for a Heineken Cup semi-final, following a meeting of the GAA's Central Council at Hayes' Hotel in Thurles.

The IRFU's application to host a potential semi-final, should Munster win their quarter-final tie against Welsh side Ospreys; was discussed in length at the meeting and was met with little opposition.

No vote was required and a decision was taken to allow Croke Park to be used should Tony McGahan's charges emerge victorious from their quarter-final.

Six speakers spoke on the motion, with the majority of those in favour of allowing the game take place at GAA Headquarters, including incoming GAA President Christy Cooney.

Cooney stated that the decision was in accordance with Rule 4 of the GAA's Official Guide.

The semi-final has the potential of being an all-Irish affair, with Leinster taking on London Harlequins in the corresponding quarter-final.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thejuice

Munster into the Qtr finals, 43-9 with 10mins to go. Made easy work of Ospreys in the 2nd half. Just need Leinster to do the biz later now.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

FermPundit

Quote from: thejuice on April 12, 2009, 02:29:32 PM
Munster into the Qtr finals, 43-9 with 10mins to go. Made easy work of Ospreys in the 2nd half. Just need Leinster to do the biz later now.

Munster were superb. A Munster Leinster semi final in Croke Park would be amazing
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.