Are there too many games on TV ?

Started by Trevor Hill, June 13, 2009, 08:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Its a beautiful summers evening in June, yet Páirc Uí Chaoimh was not full for the Cork v Kerry replay. A game that should have been a sell out. Dr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game and even Tyrone v Armagh, on one of the best days of the summer so far, was not a full house. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with all these live games. Two games today, two tomorrow and probably the same again next week. The sunny day supporters are staying away in numbers, maybe due to the recession, but the GAA has to do something and do it soon to attract people back to championship games.
I don't think that we need all these games on TV, yes its great to see the likes of Cork v Kerry and Armagh v Tyrone, but do we really need to see Fermanagh v Down or Kildare v Wexford if it means that games are being played in half full grounds.

Gnevin

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 13, 2009, 08:08:44 PM
Its a beautiful summers evening in July, yet Páirc Uí Chaoimh was not full for the Cork v Kerry replay. A game that should have been a sell out. Dr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game and even Tyrone v Armagh, on one of the best days of the summer so far, was not a full house. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with all these live games. Two games today, two tomorrow and probably the same again next week. The sunny day supporters are staying away in numbers, maybe due to the recession, but the GAA has to do something and do it soon to attract people back to championship games.
I don't think that we need all these games on TV, yes its great to see the likes of Cork v Kerry and Armagh v Tyrone, but do we really need to see Fermanagh v Down or Kildare v Wexford if it means that games are being played in half full grounds.
People don't have the money for it . End of.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Barney

Yes, definitely.

But prices are far too dear in these times.

€30 for early championship games is robbery. Families could end up paying €200 for the day out.

Its just not possible.

Another thing is that the hardcore supporters will still go regardless. However Saturday evening will not bring a lot of the bandwagon/entertainment seeking supporters and numbers will therefore be down.

Gnevin

Quote from: Barney on June 13, 2009, 08:24:57 PM
Yes, definitely.

But prices are far too dear in these times.

€30 for early championship games is robbery. Families could end up paying €200 for the day out.

Its just not possible.

Another thing is that the hardcore supporters will still go regardless. However Saturday evening will not bring a lot of the bandwagon/entertainment seeking supporters and numbers will therefore be down.

€15 on the terrace , can't beat that .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Trevor Hill

Yes the prices are too dear, but if the likes of Kildare v Wexford was not live on TV there would undoubtedly be a much bigger crowd.

Gnevin

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 13, 2009, 08:29:16 PM
Yes the prices are too dear, but if the likes of Kildare v Wexford was not live on TV there would undoubtedly be a much bigger crowd.

Based on what ? Kildare don't bring large crowds and Wexford people would have seen the writing on the wall before the match .

pintsofguinness

We'd be complaining if they weren't on tv too!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zulu

There looked a lot more than 8K to me.

What do you mean Kildare don't bring big crowds Gnevin? They are one of the best supported teams in the country.

I don't think we are showing too many games on TV at all, it gives great exposure and many more people get to see the games. The 30K at the Cork/Kerry game was a massive crowd for a Saturday game with a 5pm throw in.

ziggysego

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 13, 2009, 08:08:44 PM
Its a beautiful summers evening in July, yet Páirc Uí Chaoimh was not full for the Cork v Kerry replay. A game that should have been a sell out. Dr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game and even Tyrone v Armagh, on one of the best days of the summer so far, was not a full house. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with all these live games. Two games today, two tomorrow and probably the same again next week. The sunny day supporters are staying away in numbers, maybe due to the recession, but the GAA has to do something and do it soon to attract people back to championship games.

June
Testing Accessibility

Minder

f**k me we have a "RTE,BBC,UTV" thread crying about lack of coverage and why the Mc Kenna Cup games are not all live on tv and now someone is saying there is too many games on tv. I think its a good thing and as many counties as possible should be exposed to a national audience. We will have had our fill of Tyrone, Kerry and Dublin by the latter stages.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyronefan

good to see the likes of wexford/kildare and teams like these on tv

I will watch them on tv but would not travel to see them

Norf Tyrone

Too many games can be a portion of the problem, economisc the other.

The main one is that with the qualifiers it ain't do or die. Pre back door you would not dared have missed your county, as it would've been 12 months before they were back out again. These days... sure they'll be back out in a loc of weeks time.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gnevin

Quote from: Zulu on June 13, 2009, 08:50:17 PM
There looked a lot more than 8K to me.

What do you mean Kildare don't bring big crowds Gnevin? They are one of the best supported teams in the country.

I don't think we are showing too many games on TV at all, it gives great exposure and many more people get to see the games. The 30K at the Cork/Kerry game was a massive crowd for a Saturday game with a 5pm throw in.
They use to bring large crowds not so much over the past 2/3 years in my own personal experence but that is to be expected with the downturn in the team

Dinny Breen

QuoteDr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game

Eh? Probably 70% full, side Terrace was full, stand was full and remain standing areas were well populated. Wexford I swear had less than a 1K supporters, very disappointing from normally excellent supporters.
Based on what ? Kildare don't bring large crowds and Wexford people would have seen the writing on the wall before the match .

::) Of course not but then why would the Dublin Council, sorry Leinster Council move Kildare out of Croke Park? As for personal experience, Gnevin honestly have you ever been to a Kildare game outside Croke Park?
#newbridgeornowhere

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2009, 11:30:58 PM
QuoteDr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game

Eh? Probably 70% full, side Terrace was full, stand was full and remain standing areas were well populated. Wexford I swear had less than a 1K supporters, very disappointing from normally excellent supporters.

The attendence was somewhere in the region of 8500 according to RTE, I cannot remember the exact figure. Dr Cullen Park holds 19000.