Are there too many games on TV ?

Started by Trevor Hill, June 13, 2009, 08:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I think women are getting curvier now and the men are staying at home riding.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

The attendance might be right, would have thought 10K ish myself but no way does that ground hold 19K  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Trevor Hill

Quote from: ziggysego on June 13, 2009, 08:57:07 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 13, 2009, 08:08:44 PM
Its a beautiful summers evening in July, yet Páirc Uí Chaoimh was not full for the Cork v Kerry replay. A game that should have been a sell out. Dr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game and even Tyrone v Armagh, on one of the best days of the summer so far, was not a full house. Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with all these live games. Two games today, two tomorrow and probably the same again next week. The sunny day supporters are staying away in numbers, maybe due to the recession, but the GAA has to do something and do it soon to attract people back to championship games.
I don't think that we need all these games on TV, yes its great to see the likes of Cork v Kerry and Armagh v Tyrone, but do we really need to see Fermanagh v Down or Kildare v Wexford if it means that games are being played in half full grounds.

June

ziggy, if I was to spend my time correcting all your typos/poor grammar and inaccuracies I wouldn't get much work done during the week.

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2009, 11:30:58 PM
QuoteDr Cullen Park is less than half full for the Kildare v Wexford game

Eh? Probably 70% full, side Terrace was full, stand was full and remain standing areas were well populated. Wexford I swear had less than a 1K supporters, very disappointing from normally excellent supporters.
Based on what ? Kildare don't bring large crowds and Wexford people would have seen the writing on the wall before the match .

::) Of course not but then why would the Dublin Council, sorry Leinster Council move Kildare out of Croke Park? As for personal experience, Gnevin honestly have you ever been to a Kildare game outside Croke Park?
Yes.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donnellys Hollow

No way does that ground hold 19,000 - they'd be squeezed in like sardines.

The terrace side was fairly tightly packed where I was standing anyway. The stand looked full as well. Crowd was a bit sparse behind the goals but you'd expect that. Kildare must have had at least 2/3s of the crowd. Very poor turnout from the Yellowbellies considering they normally bring a decent crowd.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

rootthemout

i believe the gaa cannt lose with tv games and attendance figures,with what they have sold the rights to coverage to rte.bbc.tv3,and setanta im sure they more than accomadated for reduced numbers through the turn stiles,this in affect can allow for reduced stewarding and security at games as they anticapte smaller crowds for first and second round games thus not paying larger fees.

Tyrone Dreamer

30k was a very healthy crowd for Cork Kerry on a Saturday. There's been some big attendances so far this year despite all the negative recesision talk.

Lazer

There can never be too many games on tv.

I like many supporters, travel to all my own county games plus a few more, however its nice to be able to spend a sunday afternoon watching other countys that i would never otherwise see.

Personally, a game being on tv wouldn't influence if i was going to the game
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Lovely Hurling

There are lots of games on tv alright but it's all the big games. The GAA isn't just about that, tho granted it's what gets the crowds. Look at the club games around the country that are fantastic affairs. You can't say the same for say local soccer, they don't compare. Or the sigerson is so much different than the collingwood. So these affairs deserve coverage, but get little tv or video. and isn't the gaa about promoting all aspects of Irish culture, so just because the crowd isn't great doesn't the likes of ulster hurling semi-finals deserve coverage and profile. The game yesterday at casement won't feature anywhere cos of all the big games on Sunday, well apart from here - http://ulster.gaa.ie/landofthegiants/2009/06/15/hurling-semi-final/ - but it at least deserves this.