#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2013, 11:15:07 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 25, 2013, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2013, 11:06:05 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 25, 2013, 10:52:13 AM
Quote from: Bingo on May 25, 2013, 07:39:02 AM
Happy Istanbul day everyone.
Studying for the leaving at the time, turned off at half time. Came back about half 11,felt ill and legs nearly went from under me when I turned on Sky News. Didn't sleep a wink that night, still maintain it cost me a few points... ;D

Your Leaving in 2005!? Jaysis you're only a young fella...
Ha...feels like an age ago at this stage I tells ya!

I done my Leaving in 1995!
I'd say you didn't done so well LL ;)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 26, 2013, 08:59:34 PM
Since you are all in anniversary mode

24 years today since it's up for grabs now

A neighbour ( a Gunners fan) was at his Match. The Kop waited for Arsenals Lap of houour and gave them a round of applause, suppose it was easier in those days as Liverpool were winning every second league. Emotions were high at the time as well, many probably were still thinking from loved ones injured and killed. He said on top of the joy of winning the League after such a long wait, to see such good will made him cry!

brokencrossbar1

Kolo Toure had signed an agreement in principle to join the club on July 1st

From the Bunker

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 28, 2013, 06:11:58 PM

Strange one that!  :o

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 28, 2013, 07:40:14 PM

Not really.  Loads of Premier League experience and getting him for nothing.(apart from wages of course!)
Will be a good squad player.
It will only be strange if he is the only defender signed. ..!!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2013, 07:58:35 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 28, 2013, 07:40:14 PM

Not really.  Loads of Premier League experience and getting him for nothing.(apart from wages of course!)
Will be a good squad player.
It will only be strange if he is the only defender signed. ..!!!
Must be worth a punt on a free but he's in his early 30s so not exactly one for the future. I take it Coates will be getting his coat? What about Skrtel?

brokencrossbar1

Toure in many eyes would be the direct squad replacement for Carra, experienced, though 3 years younger than Carra, on a lower wage than Carra and is a decent defender.  Coates will probably go and Skertl as well.   With Rafa in now in Napoli he may have a go for Skertl.  If they go Liverpool will bring in 1 more defender.

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 28, 2013, 11:16:32 PM
Toure in many eyes would be the direct squad replacement for Carra, experienced, though 3 years younger than Carra, on a lower wage than Carra and is a decent defender.  Coates will probably go and Skertl as well.   With Rafa in now in Napoli he may have a go for Skertl.  If they go Liverpool will bring in 1 more defender.

He can also bring those slimming pills to the squad, maybe take the hunger pangs off LS  ;)

Hound

With Carra gone the club needed to find a reliable experienced third choice central defender, in case any of the first choice pair get injured. So Toure just about fits the bill in that regard with a saving of between €1M and €2M a year in salary versus Carra.

Poor season from Skrtel last year (after his best season the previous year), so it seems he'll be sold and replaced. With the Greek chap who plays for Schalke being the one tipped to come in. Its going be key that whoever it turns out to be, is good!

Coates needs to get out whether on loan or sold. Which would leave Wisdom and Kelly battling it out for 4th choice CB, if required. 

johnneycool

He's hardly the ball playing centre back Liverpool need for Brendans style of play is he?

That's the rock that Skrtl perished on.

Hound

Quote from: johnneycool on May 29, 2013, 02:33:50 PM

He's hardly the ball playing centre back Liverpool need for Brendans style of play is he?

That's the rock that Skrtl perished on.
He's played midfield and full back, so he's supposed to be good on the ball.
Although can't say I've noticed him being either good or bad in that regard.

GalwayBayBoy

Toure will just fill the role of 3rd or 4th choice central defender which is pretty much what he was doing at Man City for the past 18 months anyway. Think he's a bit past his best as this stage but can probably fulfill that role in the squad fairly well.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 29, 2013, 04:38:35 PM
Toure will just fill the role of 3rd or 4th choice central defender which is pretty much what he was doing at Man City for the past 18 months anyway. Think he's a bit past his best as this stage but can probably fulfill that role in the squad fairly well.

Seems a good signing on a free. But then again, we thought that with Harry Kewell!  ::)