Graham Geraghty returns

Started by Hardy, July 18, 2007, 08:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Meath fans have been singing that for years, as long as I've been going to Meath games first game being 1989. I dont think the Dubs were the first to use it, its been used for the Irish soccer team before as is "You'll never beat the Irish" which turned into "you'll never beat the Royals"

Dont know who used it first but today definately wasnt the first time Meath fans have sung it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Loup Bandit

Still reminising about Geraghtys demolition of Tyrone in '96.
Legend!  ;D

rrhf

I have a feeling in my bones about Meath,,, a bad bad feeling in my bones.   

orangeman

I stilll think Meath are an ordinary side playing with great heart and a couple of decent footballlers - nothing to get overly concerned with !

ONeill

Can't believe the Meath side I watched against Antrim in Casement Park in early spring under lights are being touted as All-Ireland contenders in some quarters. Are they the new Fermanagh......
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on July 22, 2007, 12:37:35 AM
Meath fans have been singing that for years, as long as I've been going to Meath games first game being 1989. I dont think the Dubs were the first to use it, its been used for the Irish soccer team before as is "You'll never beat the Irish" which turned into "you'll never beat the Royals"

Dont know who used it first but today definately wasnt the first time Meath fans have sung it.
Dublin's "Come on you Boys in Blue" was sung long before Ireland's "Come on you Boys in Green". Whether the Dubs copied it from somewhere else, I don't know!

I'm sure "You'll Never beat the Irish" was a copy of something too. Can't remember exactly what, perhaps a soccer chant from across the water...

ONeill

Quote from: Hound on July 23, 2007, 09:03:41 AM

I'm sure "You'll Never beat the Irish" was a copy of something too. Can't remember exactly what, perhaps a soccer chant from across the water...

The referee pleasures himself?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI stilll think Meath are an ordinary side playing with great heart and a couple of decent footballlers - nothing to get overly concerned with !

Have seen them in the flesh twice and on TV 3 times, they are actually an improving side but they are not All-Ireland quality, will go out in the quarters unless they draw Sligo and even then I would favour Sligo as their running game would cause a slow Meath side a lot of problems..
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

Sure we'll meet that briudge when we come to it  - who do the Dubs want in the qualifiers ? Any particular fancy ?

DUBSFORSAM1

To be honest - not to worried about who we get....probably pick Cork though as they would probably be the toughest test....we need it before playing Kerry..

his holiness nb

I'd agree, I would prefer one of the better sides from the qualifiers, we would need a big test before playing Kerry.
Meath would be great hype but we need a win against a non Leinster side to get over that mental barrier.
Ask me holy bollix

Hardy

Back to the subject ...

I don't usually like Vincent Hogan's stuff, but he had a good line in his article on Geraghty today. It wasn't his own – he was quoting some US sportswriter about a baseball player:

(His career) "has been a long screech of tyres".

Great one.

There was a good story too (from Geraghty's book, which I haven't read) about how GG reckons he owes Coyle as he feels responsible for his sending off in the 1996 AIF:

I was behind the goal-line at the side of the upright. Mayo's Ray Dempsey was squaring up to me. He is a big man and it was funny because I remember he was about to land a big one on me when wham! he disappeared as Colm Coyle came in quickly and floored him. I suppose it was a case on one clubman sticking up for another. Unfortunately for Colm, he was not thinking about the umpires who were standing by the posts.

dodo

In fairness, it didn't take much for Ray 'Greg Louganis' Dempsey to go down that day. For all his posturing over the years on the pitch he made a right feckin' eejit of himself. In the documentary on referees that was shown after I think it was the linesman that pointed out Coyle. Telling McEnaney that whoever he sends off Coyle has to go, he's after clocking about 5 fellas.  ;D

orangeman

I was in the Nally stand that day and had a superb view - Coyle was less of a miss to Meath that day ( no disrespect to him ) than big Liam Mc Hale was.

blast05

QuoteIn the documentary on referees that was shown after I think it was the linesman that pointed out Coyle

Twas the umpire, the bolloux.
The same boyo was legless the night before and was so sick with drink the following morning that he didn't want to act as umpire on the day and indeed it was only just over an hour before throw in that he had shaped up enough to be physically able to do his job.