Drugs in UK sports....

Started by muppet, June 09, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Always knew that Andy was all right.

bennydorano

Quote from: NAG1 on March 10, 2016, 11:59:33 AM
Funny that Nadal has spoken out now on the issue, it wasnt that long ago that he was being linked with the dodgy Spanish doctor in the case in which the Spanish Courts ruled for the destruction of the blood bags from the clinic.

I wonder is it any coincidence that since around that time he has not been the force that he once was and it was also strange to note at the time that Murray and Fed basically called him out on it.
Operacion Puerto, allegedly a lot of Tennis players and footballers in addition to the cyclists. Most obvious cover up / whitewashing ever perpetrated in sport.

Declan

We now have racquet manufacturers trying to dictate doping policy in tennis!!!
]https://twitter.com/richard_conway/status/708258479287496705[url][/url]

muppet

MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Company motto: "Hoping To Get Some"

muppet

MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 09, 2016, 11:28:28 PM
If she finds herself at a loose end now she knows how to find me.

Bump

AQMP

Rob Heffernan retrospectively awarded a bronze medal for the 50km walk at London 2012

JimStynes

A whole load of fellas from Collingwood AFL team have been caught using PEDs apparently.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AQMP on March 24, 2016, 11:27:02 AM
Rob Heffernan retrospectively awarded a bronze medal for the 50km walk at London 2012

Amazing how he did so well to stay close to guys on EPO, not as if his coach Paco Fernandez was banned for drugs or anything.

Pretty much like motor racing just call it Formula Athletics/Tennis/MMA/Boxing/GAA etc etc - the best combination of drugs and athletic prowess wins...

You will probably die young but think of the glory....
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

You left Rugby off that list. As a professional sport with massive changes in body shape over the last few years I'd say it's more likely to be a problem in Rugby than GAA.

Dinny Breen

I know rugby has a problem I see lads popping caffeine pills and salbutamol at adult level in the junior leagues ffs.

Don't be naive and think that that culture doesn't exist in GAA. I would put money on it being there at all levels, and you know what these guys are all amateurs and it's their bodies and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. This to me is human nature, the war on drugs at all levels will never be won.

When you see lads taking steriods to look good in the mirror.....
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Yeah, I'm sure lads in the GAA are taking stuff, but I thought it was unusual you didn't list Rugby, which has undergone the most obvious changes in body shape, and style of game.

I don't, genuinely, think a lot of lads in the GAA are taking steroids or the like, but I'd say there are some dodgy supplements around.

AZOffaly

I just realised, I misread your last sentence. Are you saying you *don't* have a problem with sportmen and women trying to use illegal PEDs to win things? JEsus, I'd be 180 degrees from you in that case.

Dinny Breen

It was really Formula All Sports.

Cycling, Athletics, Tennis, Rugby, AFL, NFL, Soccer, Weightlifting, Swimming would be the obvious ones..

However every sport including GAA has some level of drug use, nothing compared to the professional sports above where programs are designed to be always one step ahead of the testers but none the less I don't believe any sport to be free.

Just on Rob Heffernan, he uses an altitude tent to replicate high altitude training and increase your red blood cell count, helps with endurance. This is allowed but he is still changing his natural physiology into an unnatural physiology. This is still doping to me, it's allowed but what is the difference between using a tool like that and injecting yourself with EPO?
#newbridgeornowhere