Irish News - Not for the Irish

Started by Hereiam, August 13, 2009, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

I see our so called nationalist paper had a nice colour ad for TA recuirment. Its all about the money these days i suppose but I feel this paper is loosin it abit. As a letter in the paper yesterday said the Irish news is more or less trying to reinforce the existence of this so called Norn iron by always referring to it an norn iron instead of the north of ireland etc.

tyssam5

Not much point in a newspaper not referring to it as Northern Ireland when every Nationalist MP, including SFs, are sitting in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

I would have felt the same way about the nomenclature, but given up on that now for the most part.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Hereiam on August 13, 2009, 04:54:00 PM
I see our so called nationalist paper had a nice colour ad for TA recuirment. Its all about the money these days i suppose but I feel this paper is loosin it abit. As a letter in the paper yesterday said the Irish news is more or less trying to reinforce the existence of this so called Norn iron by always referring to it an norn iron instead of the north of ireland etc.

In fairness I can't see much wrong with the advertising. I'm sure the TA are required by law to advertise across both communities which is why it has appeared in the IN. In fact i would say the IN would be leaving themselves in a dodgy spot if they started refusing advertising on a political basis. Not to mention how it would be very quickly seized upon by other media outlets if that got out.

red hander

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 13, 2009, 05:11:58 PM
Not much point in a newspaper not referring to it as Northern Ireland when every Nationalist MP, including SFs, are sitting in the Northern Ireland Assembly.

I would have felt the same way about the nomenclature, but given up on that now for the most part.

I think the letter specifically referred to a story in the paper about yer man Ferguson who invented the tractor, and who was an early pioneer of flight, "flying above the clouds of Northern Ireland in 1907" ... which the writer piss-offedly but quite correctly pointed out would have been impossible as the tuppenny-ha'penny statelet wasn't established until 14 years later ... great sub-editing by the Irish News staff, all right

Roger

Martin Miller from the Andytown News once complained that one of his papers wasn't sustainable because it didn't get public sector adverts.  The Irish News carries loads of public sector adverts from across the government departments and wouldn't exist in its present form without these adverts.  Can't see why they would turn public sector money down.

red hander

If you're not sectarian, Roger, why can't you refer to the fella from the Andytown News by the name he and everybody else knows him by ... or are you just a hypocrite?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 13, 2009, 05:25:13 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on August 13, 2009, 04:54:00 PM

In fairness I can't see much wrong with the advertising. I'm sure the TA are required by law to advertise across both communities which is why it has appeared in the IN. In fact i would say the IN would be leaving themselves in a dodgy spot if they started refusing advertising on a political basis. Not to mention how it would be very quickly seized upon by other media outlets if that got out.
There are glossy flyers for the peelers and policing partnership in the IN all the time. They just go in the bin immediately.

Rav67

Quote from: Roger on August 13, 2009, 06:28:00 PM
Martin Miller from the Andytown News once complained that one of his papers wasn't sustainable because it didn't get public sector adverts.  The Irish News carries loads of public sector adverts from across the government departments and wouldn't exist in its present form without these adverts.  Can't see why they would turn public sector money down.

Was this not one of the reasons the Daily Ireland folded so quickly as well?

And who is Miller- is it not Robin Livingstone who is the editor does he have another nom de plume or what?

red hander

Quote from: Rav67 on August 13, 2009, 09:33:25 PM

And who is Miller- is it not Robin Livingstone who is the editor does he have another nom de plume or what?

'Martin Miller' is the hilariously anglicised version of the name of the guy the non-sectarian (I think he doth protest too much) self-styled 'proud loyalist' Roger was referring to

Oldhacker

O Muilleoir (or Miller) is the proprietor of the Andersonstown News. Livingstone is the editor of the paper who came to prominence when he used his Squinter column to challenge the performance of Gerry Adams as MP for west Belfast last year. O Muilleoir humiliated Livingstone by immediately running a front page apology, and the criticism came to an abrupt halt. All of the online debate on the issue was removed from the A/town News website, but it is still on the archive over at sluggerotoole.com if anyone is interested.

Roger

Quote from: red hander on August 13, 2009, 08:05:40 PM
If you're not sectarian, Roger, why can't you refer to the fella from the Andytown News by the name he and everybody else knows him by ... or are you just a hypocrite?
To be honest I tried a number of times and couldn't spell his name in Gaelic Irish.  I know the guy I mean, O'Muillar or something, but can't be sure?? As I ws typing in English I presumed it appropriate as I've been pulled up on here before for typing in English in then typing the word "Eire" in amongst it and being told it was wrong to do so.  Cuts both ways, no? Maybe it's wrong both ways?  Anyway, don't get too precious, there was no offense intended.

Roger

Quote from: red hander on August 13, 2009, 10:11:19 PM

'Martin Miller' is the hilariously anglicised version of the name of the guy the non-sectarian (I think he doth protest too much) self-styled 'proud loyalist' Roger was referring to
Not sure I protesteth at all.

There are many republicans who Martin or those who own or read the Irish News, cannot see past. These same people who are working as part of 'Brit rule' in Northern Ireland whom he/they would like to have been funded by even if the Defence department is more uncomfortable to be funded by than say the planning department or educaton department.  Still the same people though. Is that a hilarious version or just plain reality?

Rav67

Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 01:05:31 AM
Quote from: red hander on August 13, 2009, 10:11:19 PM

Not sure I protesteth at all.

There are many republicans who Martin or those who own or read the Irish News, cannot see past. These same people who are working as part of 'Brit rule' in Northern Ireland whom he/they would like to have been funded by even if the Defence department is more uncomfortable to be funded by than say the planning department or educaton department.  Still the same people though. Is that a hilarious version or just plain reality?

Roger what are you talkin about? Pretty hard to avoid the public sector (especially in 'our wee country').  Should anyone who considers themselves republican not use public services or just not be employed/funded by the public sector?

Roger

Sorry it doesn't read too well.  Was nearly asleep when I wrote that.

What I was trying to say is that republican publications and the owners of Irish News currently want public sector adverts.  Republicans and nationalists want to work for the public sector and are administering UK law and public services.  They can't look past these adverts or jobs yet seem to shudder in horror at one of the UK's departments ie the defence department. 

red hander

Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 12:11:19 AM
Quote from: red hander on August 13, 2009, 08:05:40 PM
To be honest I tried a number of times and couldn't spell his name in Gaelic Irish.  I know the guy I mean, O'Muillar or something, but can't be sure?? As I ws typing in English I presumed it appropriate as I've been pulled up on here before for typing in English in then typing the word "Eire" in amongst it and being told it was wrong to do so.  Cuts both ways, no? Maybe it's wrong both ways?  Anyway, don't get too precious, there was no offense intended.

All right, I'll take your word for it, but a misspelling his name in Irish, which he is universally known by, would have shown at least a willingness (it is difficult to spell, as are a lot of Irish words for those not using them on a regular basis, and I include myself in that category) rather than being perceived as a deliberate wind-up.  Also, I credit you with a bit more intelligence about using the word 'Eire' as an example when you said you were pulled up before, as I'm sure you understand the connotations of the term and how nationalists would take umbrage at its deliberate misuse... finally, I'll lighten up if you do the same ... were you not one of the people who got a mite precious over my obviously tongue-in-cheek description of a St Patrick's week holiday in the Caribbean?