Irish News - Not for the Irish

Started by Hereiam, August 13, 2009, 04:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Quote from: red hander on August 14, 2009, 06:26:52 PMAll right, I'll take your word for it, but a misspelling his name in Irish, which he is universally known by, would have shown at least a willingness (it is difficult to spell, as are a lot of Irish words for those not using them on a regular basis, and I include myself in that category) rather than being perceived as a deliberate wind-up.  Also, I credit you with a bit more intelligence about using the word 'Eire' as an example when you said you were pulled up before, as I'm sure you understand the connotations of the term and how nationalists would take umbrage at its deliberate misuse... finally, I'll lighten up if you do the same ... were you not one of the people who got a mite precious over my obviously tongue-in-cheek description of a St Patrick's week holiday in the Caribbean?
I can assure you I have not misused Eire in my opinion but have often altered language that I would consider normal for the sake of the sensitivities of some people on here who have umbrage a plenty about little. I see plenty of literary contortions on here by users trying their best to hold true to the nationalist fantasy that reality doesn't exist, but I just find it amusing.   However, in this instance about Martin I simply can't spell his Gaelic Irish surname and his anglicised version seemed appropriate given that I was speaking in English.

Btw, I don't recall anything about your holiday in the Caribbean.

red hander

Then allow me to refresh your memory from July 29

'What is a Jackeen? Is it the opposite of dinosaur or something?'

Maguire01

Quote from: Roger on August 14, 2009, 09:58:20 PM
However, in this instance about Martin I simply can't spell his Gaelic Irish surname and his anglicised version seemed appropriate given that I was speaking in English.
To be fair, that doesn't really stand up. If the issue was not being able to spell his name, then fair enough. But if you were writing about a foreign soccer player/politician etc, you wouldn't be converting their name into English just because the rest of your post was in English.

Roger

Then I'll just call him Martin if Miller is so offensive.

Btw, I'm not sure what Jackeen means either. 

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Roger on August 15, 2009, 12:07:50 AM
Then I'll just call him Martin if Miller is so offensive.

Btw, I'm not sure what Jackeen means either. 

Dub
Tbc....