The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

Gabriel_Hurl

Probably going to be a big story all year - so let's try keeping it to one thread

Iowa caucuses are happening tonight

CNN are reporting Mike Huckabee has won the Republican caucus with 31% of the vote. Trailing him are Milt Romney (23%), Fred Thompson (13%), John McCain (12%) and Rudy Giuliani with 11%.

On the Democratic side, early results show Barack Obama with a narrow lead over rivals Hillary Clinton and John Edwards.

With 69 percent of precincts reporting, Obama had the support of 35 percent of voters, compared to 31percent each for Edwards and Clinton.

stephenite

Just reported on News here that Clinton is in big danger of finishing 3rd (which I'd be happy about)

J70

No big surprise, at least on the Republican side. The three Democrats were all considered to be running very closely, so I suppose the only surprise was going to be which edged through in first. There are 29 more caucuses/primaries over the next month, so its going to be interesting.

I'm not sure which of the Dems I'll go for yet. Possibly Obama, as he'll be less divisive if he wins the nomination. Hillary would be manna from heaven for the right wing and I don't know if she could win the general election. Depends on who the Republican candidate is though.

stephenite

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2008, 02:46:40 AM
No big surprise, at least on the Republican side. The three Democrats were all considered to be running very closely, so I suppose the only surprise was going to be which edged through in first. There are 29 more caucuses/primaries over the next month, so its going to be interesting.

I'm not sure which of the Dems I'll go for yet. Possibly Obama, as he'll be less divisive if he wins the nomination. Hillary would be manna from heaven for the right wing and I don't know if she could win the general election. Depends on who the Republican candidate is though.

Sweet Jesus, you mean that youse Americans would actually consider voting a republican in AGAIN!!!
Tbc....

ziggysego

According to BBC, Obama wins Democrat nomination, with Clinton and Edward close for second.
Testing Accessibility

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 04, 2008, 02:51:01 AM

Sweet Jesus, you mean that youse Americans would actually consider voting a republican in AGAIN!!!

I wouldn't personally. There are plenty who will though. "Guns, God and Gays" trumps all else. Why do you think Huckabee has done so well tonight in Iowa? There are a lot of fundamentalists and evangelicals there and all across the US. Throw in illegal immigrants and Hillary, and you'll have a very highly motivated right wing.

Gabriel_Hurl

so far for the democrats:

Senator Barack Obama : 37.15%
Senator John Edwards : 30.00%
Senator Hillary Clinton : 29.61%
Governor Bill Richardson : 2.14%
Senator Joe Biden : 0.95%
Uncommitted : 0.13%
Senator Chris Dodd : 0.03%
Precincts Reporting: 1640 of 1781

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2008, 02:57:08 AM

I wouldn't personally. There are plenty who will though. "Guns, God and Gays" trumps all else. Why do you think Huckabee has done so well tonight in Iowa? There are a lot of fundamentalists and evangelicals there and all across the US. Throw in illegal immigrants and Hillary, and you'll have a very highly motivated right wing.

Clarify why these would be be right wing?! P.S. inc. Hillary
Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 04, 2008, 03:03:09 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2008, 02:57:08 AM

Clarify why these would be be right wing?! P.S. inc. Hillary

Illegal immigration is a mostly right-wing issue at the moment. Yes, the Democrats talk about dealing with it, but they are more about including amnesties and so on, along the lines of the bill that was defeated last spring (and for which Bush got hammered by his own side). There are far more Republicans and conservatives talking about sealing the borders, deporting people and preventing illegals from accessing public services than Democrats/liberals. Its much less of an issue on the left.

As for Hillary, the American right absolutely despises the Clintons, Hillary even more so than Bill! It would like a red rag to a bull having her run as the Democratic candidate!

stephenite

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2008, 03:08:55 AM
As for Hillary, the American right absolutely despises the Clintons, Hillary even more so than Bill! It would like a red rag to a bull having her run as the Democratic candidate!

Was listening to some chap on Fox the other night - he said he was convinced that if Hillary gets the nomination than the Republicans would get back in as it would motivate more right wingers to campaign against her

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sorry, I'm I missing something here, surely Hillary would be the best person to get in?????????????
Tbc....

J70

I'm sure Tyrone's Own will be able to provide some perspective on Hillary from the right whenever he logs in. If memory serves, he's a Michael Savage fan!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 04, 2008, 03:18:05 AM
Sorry, I'm I missing something here, surely Hillary would be the best person to get in?????????????

I ask the question again.
Tbc....

Puckoon

Maybe I know where you are coming from. You think the right wing would prefer hillary clinton to a black man? ???