2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2010, 05:28:16 PM
I think Jordan may get one, but if he does he'll be the only Tyrone one on the basis that the selectors will relish being able to get new faces there this year, for valid reasons. I expect Roscommon, Kildare, Down, Dublin and Kildare to be represented to a greater or lesser extent depending on the outcome of the All Ireland. I expect Kerry, Meath and Tyrone to be outcasts.

these counties have seen enough all stars over the decades, throw a bone or two to the lesser counties who shone this year, a year of surprises and upsets  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Canalman

For me only the one at the moment............. B Brogan.

The main reason imo is the fact that he was a tad unlucky last year and his  great form this year.

Last 3 games (min) will decide the rest.

Cluxton won't get one this year. FACT.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2010, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2010, 05:20:29 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:19:40 PM
James Kavanagh and Graham Reilly would be my two wing forwards anyway.

Graham Reilly very good, but he'll suffer from a Meath backlash. Meath may get no All Stars.

Do you think he deserves one?

It's harder of two better wing forwards than Reilly and Kavanagh this year.

If Cullen plays well against Cork he could come into the mix.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2010, 05:28:54 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2010, 05:20:29 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2010, 05:19:40 PM
James Kavanagh and Graham Reilly would be my two wing forwards anyway.

Graham Reilly very good, but he'll suffer from a Meath backlash. Meath may get no All Stars.

Do you think he deserves one?

It's harder of two better wing forwards than Reilly and Kavanagh this year.

If Cullen plays well against Cork he could come into the mix.

I obviously meant 'It's hard to think of two'. Dunno what I was doing there :D

Agree about Cullen, but that's what I meant about the next few games. If it goes down to a shootout between Kavanagh and Reilly, because Cullen gets one on the back of an All Ireland say, then I think it would be Kavanagh.

tyroneboi

Plenty of contenders for the young player of the year which is great to see. Rory O'Carroll, Donie Shine, Marty Clarke and have also been impressed by Peter Kelly in Kildare but might not be as high profile as the other three. I think Brogan is nailed on for Player of the Year. He has been truly outstanding. Though in saying that if Kildare win it Johnny Doyle will come into the reckoning. There are no real contenders for player of the year for Cork so far anyway. What way are the GAA Allstars and the GPA awards working this year? Is there only one now that the GPA have come under the GAA umbrella?

bcarrier

I would say Shine is the only cert at the minute .The all Ireland finalists will have 9-10 between them with 3-4 going to beaten semi finalists and a few random ones ( someone from Louth, John Galvin , maybe Muggsy/Gooch) ? thrown in. It will be performances in next three games that sort out the mix.

I think Pearse O' Neill was favourite for footballer of the year going into final last year and I cant remember if he even got an allstar.  Kennelly didnt even start the QF and ended up with one. I wonder how many of the halfway selections on Sunday game will end up with them ?

p mc connell tyrone
c. harrison sligo
justin. mc mahon tyrone
joe .mc mahon tyrone
t. o se kerry
m . shields cork
p . jordan tyrone
j. galvin limerick
p. keean louth
p galvin kerry
p. joyce galway
j. sheridan meath
c.cooper kerry
b.brogan dublin
d .kelly sligo

The Worker

This is the business end of the season.

A good performance in the semi/final counts more than all performances to date in the eyes of the selectors.

Dubh driocht

Yis know nutttin.Ambrose, Ambrose, Ambrose.

Hardy

ross4life

Quote from: bcarrier on August 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
I wonder how many of the halfway selections on Sunday game will end up with them ?

p mc connell tyrone (nope)
c. harrison sligo (nope)
justin. mc mahon tyrone (maybe)
joe .mc mahon tyrone (nope)
t. o se kerry (nope)
m . shields cork (maybe)
p . jordan tyrone (maybe)
j. galvin limerick (nope)
p. keean louth (maybe)
p galvin kerry (nope)
p. joyce galway (nope)
j. sheridan meath (nope)
c.cooper kerry (nope)
b.brogan dublin (yes)
d .kelly sligo (nope)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: bcarrier on August 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
I would say Shine is the only cert at the minute .The all Ireland finalists will have 9-10 between them with 3-4 going to beaten semi finalists and a few random ones ( someone from Louth, John Galvin , maybe Muggsy/Gooch) ? thrown in. It will be performances in next three games that sort out the mix.

I think Pearse O' Neill was favourite for footballer of the year going into final last year and I cant remember if he even got an allstar.  Kennelly didnt even start the QF and ended up with one. I wonder how many of the halfway selections on Sunday game will end up with them ?

p mc connell tyrone
c. harrison sligo
justin. mc mahon tyrone
joe .mc mahon tyrone
t. o se kerry
m . shields cork
p . jordan tyrone
j. galvin limerick
p. keean louth
p galvin kerry
p. joyce galway
j. sheridan meath
c.cooper kerry
b.brogan dublin
d .kelly sligo

Joyce will get a nomination I imagine but won't get an All-Star. We were gone far too early for that unfortunately considering the two finalists will invariably make up the vast majority.

Donnellys Hollow

The two finalists will always dominate the All-Stars - think Karl Lacey, Stephen O'Neill and Dermot Earley were the only three last year not to feature in the All-Ireland.

From a Kildare point of view, I'd expect the following to be in the mix (I'd expect most to be nominated but whether they win one will depend on future results/performances):

Peter Kelly - has done a great marking job on Paddy Cunningham, Declan Maxwell, Eoin Bradley, Tommy Freeman and Stephen Bray. Some going for a lad that only made his debut only six weeks ago.

Morgan O'Flaherty - Arguably Kildare's most consistent performer.

Daryl Flynn - Has developed into a fine midfielder and has really stepped it up with Dermot on one leg beside him. Only two midfield positions up for grabs though so it will be ferociously competitive as always.

Éamonn Callaghan - Probably our best player through the qualifiers. Superb in Derry and Belfast but his versatility might count against him with a view to the All-Stars.

James Kavanagh - Good against Louth, very quiet in both Antrim games, good against Leitrim, quiet up in Derry, sublime against Monaghan and Meath. Looks like he is one of those players who hits form at Croke Park.

Johnny Doyle - Has had better years (particularly '08 when he was top scorer) but the fact that he is top scorer even when struggling with his place kicking says it all. Unlike some of the other marquee forwards around the country he also works his backside off tracking back and winning breaks.

Eoghan O'Flaherty could be in contention for the YPOTY if he keeps up his form of last Sunday. Graham Reilly, Donie Shine and Marty Clarke others for the shortlist. I doubt Kelly will be in contention because most backs are normally passed over for such awards. MOTM on The Sunday Game nearly always seems to go to a forward or midfielder.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

barelegs

Bear in mind, (I had to double check this myself) that 'To qualify for a Young Player award a player must have been eligible to play in the under-21 grade during the year under review.' That would rule Martin Clarke out I think. Not to sure about Shine or O'Reilly.

Wee Shea

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 03, 2010, 05:01:33 PM
The guy Kavanagh from Kildare has been class whenever I ave seen him. Brogan is a show in, as is Doyle IMHO. I think Clarke will get one as well.

For Tyronies McConnell should be in with a holler, but Tyrone's loss has probably cost Penrose. Saying that Mickey McVeigh's performance v Kerry if repeated might earn him a star.

Must have been some performance from the stand where I saw him.

Brendan did well for Down though.

mjg

Quote from: barelegs on August 03, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
Bear in mind, (I had to double check this myself) that 'To qualify for a Young Player award a player must have been eligible to play in the under-21 grade during the year under review.' That would rule Martin Clarke out I think. Not to sure about Shine or O'Reilly.
Donie has an under21 connacht medal this year