2010 All Stars

Started by 5 Sams, August 03, 2010, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: barelegs on August 03, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
Bear in mind, (I had to double check this myself) that 'To qualify for a Young Player award a player must have been eligible to play in the under-21 grade during the year under review.' That would rule Martin Clarke out I think. Not to sure about Shine or O'Reilly.

Yup Clarke was part of Down 2005 Minor winning team making him 22/23 now
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Shrewdness

Quote from: mjg on August 03, 2010, 10:53:20 PM
Bear in mind, (I had to double check this myself) that 'To qualify for a Young Player award a player must have been eligible to play in the under-21 grade during the year under review.' That would rule Martin Clarke out I think. Not to sure about Shine or O'Reilly.
Donie has an under21 connacht medal this year

Shine won Connacht U-21 and Senior medals this year plus a Sigerson Cup with DCU.

The face

McConnell, McVeigh or Cluxton for keeper. I know it's maybe a reach with Cluxton after conceeding 5 goals in one game but his kickouts are just so good and if these 50's keep going over you never know. The Roscommon keeper had a good game on Sunday but not as good as the commentators let on also he had no real opportunity to shine in the Connacht Championship. I don't think it's been a vintage year for backs but there will be very deserving midfieldersand forwards who will not even get a nomination such is the competition for places. Meath will be the big losers as the panel will use this as a chance to give the Royals (rightly or wrongly)  a slap on the wrist for not offering a replay. Kerry might also struggle to get any. Gooch is probably their best hope but with Shine and Brogan to accommodate he might get shoved out in favour of a Coulter or Kavanagh. I also think Cork's indifferent form and constantly changing line up could leave them with few enough unless they win it. McConnell and Jordan are Tyrones best chance.

ross4life

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 03, 2010, 11:23:35 PM
Quote from: mjg on August 03, 2010, 10:53:20 PM
Donie has an under21 connacht medal this year

Shine won Connacht U-21 and Senior medals this year plus a Sigerson Cup with DCU.

Don't forget O' byrne cup Hastings Cup medals
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

norabeag

Dont understand the anti Clarke brigade at all. He can only improve but as Down followers we have seen at first hand the influence he has had on the  team grow steadily through the league and Championship.
However history shows that the All Stars will be dominated by the All Ireland winners but also with the Dubs getting this far they will get the lion's share even if they out in the semi's
Would love to see McVeigh get one if only to make up for the one denied to Neil Collins in 94.
Dont know about Shine on the basis of one match for the young player.

Puckoon

Quote from: The face on August 03, 2010, 11:28:00 PM
McConnell, McVeigh or Cluxton for keeper. I know it's maybe a reach with Cluxton after conceeding 5 goals in one game but his kickouts are just so good and if these 50's keep going over you never know. The Roscommon keeper had a good game on Sunday but not as good as the commentators let on also he had no real opportunity to shine in the Connacht Championship. I don't think it's been a vintage year for backs but there will be very deserving midfieldersand forwards who will not even get a nomination such is the competition for places. Meath will be the big losers as the panel will use this as a chance to give the Royals (rightly or wrongly)  a slap on the wrist for not offering a replay. Kerry might also struggle to get any. Gooch is probably their best hope but with Shine and Brogan to accommodate he might get shoved out in favour of a Coulter or Kavanagh. I also think Cork's indifferent form and constantly changing line up could leave them with few enough unless they win it. McConnell and Jordan are Tyrones best chance.

First time watching Clucko on Saturday - but his kickouts were fantastic. Never missed his man.

Mourne Rover

Norabeag, history does not always show that the All Stars are dominated by the All Ireland winners. Down got four as AI champions in 1991, while Meath, the beaten finalists, and Dublin, who lost in a provincial preliminary, albeit after a four-game marathon, got five each. It was quite a stitch-up, and you are right to mention Neil Collins. He was left out after saving a penalty in the 94 final and again winning the game through a point-blank stop from Bernard Flynn in 1991. 

DuffleKing

Quote from: bcarrier on August 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
I would say Shine is the only cert at the minute .The all Ireland finalists will have 9-10 between them with 3-4 going to beaten semi finalists and a few random ones ( someone from Louth, John Galvin , maybe Muggsy/Gooch) ? thrown in. It will be performances in next three games that sort out the mix.

I think Pearse O' Neill was favourite for footballer of the year going into final last year and I cant remember if he even got an allstar.  Kennelly didnt even start the QF and ended up with one. I wonder how many of the halfway selections on Sunday game will end up with them ?

p mc connell tyrone
c. harrison sligo
justin. mc mahon tyrone
joe .mc mahon tyrone
t. o se kerry
m . shields cork
p . jordan tyrone
j. galvin limerick
p. keean louth
p galvin kerry
p. joyce galway
j. sheridan meath
c.cooper kerry
b.brogan dublin
d .kelly sligo

jaysus, that's a terrible effort at a realistic all star team at the minute

norabeag

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 04, 2010, 12:28:56 AM
Quote from: bcarrier on August 03, 2010, 06:00:12 PM
I would say Shine is the only cert at the minute .The all Ireland finalists will have 9-10 between them with 3-4 going to beaten semi finalists and a few random ones ( someone from Louth, John Galvin , maybe Muggsy/Gooch) ? thrown in. It will be performances in next three games that sort out the mix.

I think Pearse O' Neill was favourite for footballer of the year going into final last year and I cant remember if he even got an allstar.  Kennelly didnt even start the QF and ended up with one. I wonder how many of the halfway selections on Sunday game will end up with them ?

p mc connell tyrone
c. harrison sligo
justin. mc mahon tyrone
joe .mc mahon tyrone
t. o se kerry
m . shields cork
p . jordan tyrone
j. galvin limerick
p. keean louth
p galvin kerry
p. joyce galway
j. sheridan meath
c.cooper kerry
b.brogan dublin
d .kelly sligo

jaysus, that's a terrible effort at a realistic all star team at the minute

I would say that Keenan, Brogan and maybe Cooper are the only ones in with a shout from that list. But there will be more twists and turns before the season is over

ross4life

Quote from: norabeag on August 04, 2010, 12:07:31 AM
Dont understand the anti Clarke brigade at all. He can only improve but as Down followers we have seen at first hand the influence he has had on the  team grow steadily through the league and Championship.
However history shows that the All Stars will be dominated by the All Ireland winners but also with the Dubs getting this far they will get the lion's share even if they out in the semi's
Would love to see McVeigh get one if only to make up for the one denied to Neil Collins in 94.

V london Shine scored 9 of the 14 point's, V Leitrim he scored 1-7 of 1-13, V Sligo he scored 10 of the 14 point's, V Cork he scored 5 of the 10 points & in the under 21 semi final v Mayo he put in a performance that more or less won us the title

He deserves a nomination for all Star & young player of the year but i can't see him getting either

This time last year Down were knocked out of the Championship by Wicklow it's no surprise there now a better team with Clarke's return

norabeag

Quote from: ross4life on August 04, 2010, 12:39:00 AM
Quote from: norabeag on August 04, 2010, 12:07:31 AM

V london Shine scored 9 of the 14 point's, V Leitrim he scored 1-7 of 1-13, V Sligo he scored 10 of the 14 point's, V Cork he scored 5 of the 10 points & in the under 21 semi final v Mayo he put in a performance that more or less won us the title

He deserves a nomination for all Star & young player of the year but i can't see him getting either

This time last year Down were knocked out of the Championship by Wicklow it's no surprise there now a better team with Clarke's return
You're right there Ross but there was a certain Galway man had a big hand in that one.

Jinxy

I think James McCartan deserves a bit more credit for turing around Downs fortunes than Clarke.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Canalman

Quote from: Mourne Rover on August 04, 2010, 12:21:31 AM
Norabeag, history does not always show that the All Stars are dominated by the All Ireland winners. Down got four as AI champions in 1991, while Meath, the beaten finalists, and Dublin, who lost in a provincial preliminary, albeit after a four-game marathon, got five each. It was quite a stitch-up, and you are right to mention Neil Collins. He was left out after saving a penalty in the 94 final and again winning the game through a point-blank stop from Bernard Flynn in 1991.
[/q

uote]

Dubs only got 4 in 1983.

AZOffaly

Aye, but sure they only finished with 12 players that year, and I think there was a ban on All Stars for lads that got sent off back then.

Bitta-Banter

Still hard to say at this stage with the biggest games still to play. Of the teams that remain in the All Ireland, all have a few certain contenders.
Down - Brendan McViegh, Ambrose Rodgers(quiet against Kerry, but argueably the best player this year for Down), Marty Clarke, Benny Coulter
Dublin - Stephen Cluxton, Rory O'Carrol having a great year, Bernard Brogan - nailed on
Cork - Pearse O'Neill, possibly even Alan Quirke and Daniel Goulding, both having a good year to date
Kildare - Johnny Doyle, Eamon Callaghan, James Kavanagh showing great form against Monaghan and Meath

It will depend on how these lads play in the semi-final's.
Of the other counties, a few names that would have to be considered are Pascal McConnel, Justin McMahon, David Kelly, Graham Reilly, Colm Cooper, Donie Shine, a few that come to mind.