Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 09, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

INDIANA

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 10, 2015, 05:08:09 PM
sukeegan goig toplay full back? casue Connolly going to be at 14

Nope I'm sure he'll stay where he is but I can't imagine the Mayo full back line would be queueing up to mark Connolly.

They may not have prepared for it. Probably have never marked him before either.

Changes the dynamic.

macdanger2

If Dublin lose to mayo (or indeed if they don't win the AI), will smug Jim get the road??

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 10, 2015, 10:41:55 PM
If Dublin lose to mayo (or indeed if they don't win the AI), will smug Jim get the road??

Look, we've have an open and frank discussion on it. *smiles*

redcard

anyone notice the clips of lee keegan scoring on the sunday game. he never once bounced or soloed the ball. Same with an Andy moran point. Have referees been told to let game flow more and ignore possible over carrying offences?

Jell 0 Biafra

Depends on the performance(s).   

In fairness, Galvin has lost only one important game in (going on) 3 years.   Three leagues, three Leinsters, One All-Ireland, with another still a possibility, during that time.  So you'd think he's fairly safe, barring a collapse as against Donegal, with no indication of having learned from that game. 

Dublin have our best group of players since the 70's, and there's a definite feeling that two AI's would be a poor return from this group. If we were clearly out-thought from the line again, then there might be an issue for Galvin.

moysider

Quote from: redcard on August 10, 2015, 10:47:06 PM
anyone notice the clips of lee keegan scoring on the sunday game. he never once bounced or soloed the ball. Same with an Andy moran point. Have referees been told to let game flow more and ignore possible over carrying offences?

I m hoping you mean that as a compliment, otherwise ............

go luck at what the all time great DJ Carey used to do. This is the second go you ve had at Keegan. Worse things happened this weekend. And you might at least show where you re from so we might see where the agenda is coming from. I'm from Mayo btw.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2015, 05:11:30 PM

Nope I'm sure he'll stay where he is but I can't imagine the Mayo full back line would be queueing up to mark Connolly.

They may not have prepared for it. Probably have never marked him before either.

Changes the dynamic.

Nope, but nobody fancied marking Michael Murphy either. Murphy is scarier and more disciplined.  After Murphy's first point Caff got more immediate support  and we coped well. Now I dunno how management are going to deal with Dublin but they would be stupid to abandon the Donegal template. Barry Moran might not be ideal for the Dub game but the gameplan should remain intact. If we set up similar to Donegal then maybe Connolly is better off inside - from our point of view. That is what I'd be hoping for. As well as that management should now have the confidence to play even more defensive because we play better from back to front, and we ve the option of leaving one or 2 up that need doubling up on and can still win ball and hurt a team.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on August 11, 2015, 12:49:49 AM

Changes the dynamic.

Nope, but nobody fancied marking Michael Murphy either. Murphy is scarier and more disciplined.  After Murphy's first point Caff got more immediate support  and we coped well. Now I dunno how management are going to deal with Dublin but they would be stupid to abandon the Donegal template. Barry Moran might not be ideal for the Dub game but the gameplan should remain intact. If we set up similar to Donegal then maybe Connolly is better off inside - from our point of view. That is what I'd be hoping for. As well as that management should now have the confidence to play even more defensive because we play better from back to front, and we ve the option of leaving one or 2 up that need doubling up on and can still win ball and hurt a team.

When Murphy,Connolly are loosely marked they can destroy a team however when Connolly is well marked he can be held scoreless Murphy on the hand when well marked can still score 0-3 from play as seen on Saturday.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 11, 2015, 01:05:27 AM

Changes the dynamic.

When Murphy,Connolly are loosely marked they can destroy a team however when Connolly is well marked he can be held scoreless Murphy on the hand when well marked can still score 0-3 from play as seen on Saturday.

Exactly. That's what I'm talking about. We'd prefer Conolly inside in traffic rather than having space and cheery picking long shots that he is brilliant at from outside. Hopefully if he is played at 11 or 12 he 'll end up chasing back most of the game. Mayo have to go with the system that gives them the best chance - and what they did against Donegal is the way to go. And it doesn t matter who they are playing. For the first time ever we controlled (and deliberately tried to control a game) a game at this level instead of just having a cut.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 10, 2015, 11:06:33 PM

In fairness, Galvin has lost only one important game in (going on) 3 years.   Three leagues, three Leinsters, One All-Ireland, with another still a possibility, during that time.  So you'd think he's fairly safe, barring a collapse as against Donegal, with no indication of having learned from that game. 

Dublin have our best group of players since the 70's, and there's a definite feeling that two AI's would be a poor return from this group. If we were clearly out-thought from the line again, then there might be an issue for Galvin.
The flip side to that is that in the last two years they've played one division one team in championship and got roasted
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

INDIANA

Changes the dynamic.

Murphy doesn't have anything like Connolly's mobility. It's a different dynamic. I'd also argue when it comes to goal scoring Connolly is better then Murphy.
Probably won't happen but I'd consider it if I was picking it.

Hardy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2015, 04:46:54 PMWhen I look at the likes of Keegan I'd never play my best forward on him. It's a waste of time. Even if they cancel each other out- that's a bigger win for Mayo then Dublin. So why take the chance?

I think Flynner is the man for him.

So forwards these days are getting to choose who will mark them? Football is changing even more than I thought.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 11, 2015, 09:24:52 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 10, 2015, 11:06:33 PM

The flip side to that is that in the last two years they've played one division one team in championship and got roasted

We've been roasted before and will be again.  Like all really good  teams, though, we learned from those roastings and went on to win Sam.

Mayo4Sam

Are u speaking about the future. Since the won the All-Ireland in 2013 you've played one division one team, they destroyed ye, that's pretty much all there is to go on for a two year period.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 11, 2015, 03:03:26 PM
Are u speaking about the future. Since the won the All-Ireland in 2013 you've played one division one team, they destroyed ye, that's pretty much all there is to go on for a two year period.

Monaghan were D1 in 2014..