Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

Ballaghman

Quote from: Syferus on August 10, 2015, 08:32:55 AM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 10, 2015, 01:42:54 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 10, 2015, 12:11:10 AM
if i was Mayo i wouldn't be getting over confident, if Dublin break even in midfield they score enough to win the game, though i hope to see mayo win an all-ireland, its been too long especially after getting to so many finals, / semis over the years!
No danger of us being over confident. Once the (embarrassingly amateurish) yerraing by the dubs stops we'll have a proper discussion. I suppose 3 weeks is a long time so a bit of bants and lols has to be had.
Dublin and Kerry are the clear favourites, have been all year. Just because we beat a tired Donegal team doesn't make us favourites to beat Dublin all of a sudden.

I was impressed with our game plan on Saturday, we are improving but our forward play needs a lot of work. I agree, if Dublin merely break even at midfield we are in bother as they have better forwards overall. I am reasonably confident we will edge them around the middle and hopefully the lads will have a plan for cluxtons kick outs. Crack that and it's game on/over.

Can't underestimate the step up the next day. Dublin will be fitter, fresher and faster than Donegal so it's as we were, with it all to do.

We're not playing the Dubs, Mayo are.

Now now Syf, yes we are. History/geography lesson 1203............ Ballagh Parish is also in Mayo, I'm from the Mayo side of the 'border'. Regardless, all of Ballagh is in Mayo for football. We can start up yet another thread on this if you want but we Mayo boys have bigger fish to fry. I'll let ye rossies worry about petty things like parishes and old borders.

Mayo4Sam

Can't wait for this, not sure how anyone can say definitively that one team will win

Dublin have to figure out how to manage O'Shea, id say Philly Mc back there with ROC as sweeper in front/behind. But ur robbing the middle then, let's face it MDM has finally realised he's a basketball player, I'd be surprised if he starts the next day, being massively fit is no replacement for actually being able to play football.
The plus side of them having an extra player back is that Cluxton will have his pick of kick outs, so no need to go down the middle where Mayo have great strength.

From us I wouldn't expect Barry to start again, instead id hope Barrett gets the 15 jersey and we play a tight sweeper like Boyler or Zippy.
As they said on Second Captains people seem to have forgotten completely about our best forward, COC needs to have a big game the next day. Likewise Kevin Mc and Doc need to work as hard as Flynn and co round the middle.

Can't f**king wait! There is literally nothing better than beating the dubs and in fairness to them they've always taken it well, better than any county.

Hopefully we can squeeze this one out but I won't be putting any money on either side
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

westbound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 10, 2015, 12:16:31 PM
Can't wait for this, not sure how anyone can say definitively that one team will win

Dublin have to figure out how to manage O'Shea, id say Philly Mc back there with ROC as sweeper in front/behind. But ur robbing the middle then, let's face it MDM has finally realised he's a basketball player, I'd be surprised if he starts the next day, being massively fit is no replacement for actually being able to play football.
The plus side of them having an extra player back is that Cluxton will have his pick of kick outs, so no need to go down the middle where Mayo have great strength.

From us I wouldn't expect Barry to start again, instead id hope Barrett gets the 15 jersey and we play a tight sweeper like Boyler or Zippy.
As they said on Second Captains people seem to have forgotten completely about our best forward, COC needs to have a big game the next day. Likewise Kevin Mc and Doc need to work as hard as Flynn and co round the middle.

Can't f**king wait! There is literally nothing better than beating the dubs and in fairness to them they've always taken it well, better than any county.

Hopefully we can squeeze this one out but I won't be putting any money on either side

I'd say you'd enjoy beating Kerry in the final more!!!

muppet

I thought they were both flying the last day. No amount of McHughs would have stopped them.

Also looking forward to seeing another round of Connelly v Keegan. A bit like JOD v Keith last year. They are both in terrific form.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I'm happy to say definitively that one team will win, eventually.

macdanger2

So what would we be looking at for the Mayo backs:

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
D Rock v Cunniffe / Barrett
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on August 10, 2015, 09:46:40 AM
yer man James McCarthy will have to start against us. I hope he doesn't but I'd say he will. How come he is not a first choice anymore?

As good and all as Fenton has played this year I would not be starting him. He is still developing physically.

So hopefully the Dubs get their selection wrong and start Fenton and leave out McCarthy. Kilkenny is another lad we are able to handle so I hope he lines out.
McCarthy missed parts of this year because on injury and wasn't put straight back into the starting team on his return. But he's well back now and guaranteed to start, although hasn't quite performed to his usual level since his return

Ballaghman

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 10, 2015, 12:30:26 PM

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

Whatever about the other match ups, it has to be Keegan on Connolly. Keegan has a very good record on him and I would be confident he would carry that into the game.
Caff on Rock is another one I would prefer but not as important maybe.

Farrandeelin

Anybody know if the Bring a Friend option will be available for ST holders for this game? Just wondering, seen as it will be sold out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

INDIANA

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 10, 2015, 03:21:38 PM

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

Whatever about the other match ups, it has to be Keegan on Connolly. Keegan has a very good record on him and I would be confident he would carry that into the game.

I wouldn't bet on Dublin helping you out on that one. I'd like to see us stick Connolly at 14 with Bernard and really put the shits up the Mayo full back-line.

mayo.mick

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 09, 2015, 09:05:53 PM
Neither team has been tested so far in the championship. I expect Dublin to win, as Indiana said, Dublin's forwards are the second best in the land (after KY imo) Our defence played well yesterday, they may revert to type again. Dublin will overpower Mayo with their running.

Same as that Farr, I'm opting out of this one, we've no hope over the Dublin powerhouse  :'(
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Ballaghman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2015, 03:33:15 PM

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

I wouldn't bet on Dublin helping you out on that one. I'd like to see us stick Connolly at 14 with Bernard and really put the shits up the Mayo full back-line.

Dya think? A few of us were saying Dublin might do that, for two reasons. The one you've mentioned above and secondly because Keegan generally gets the better of him. The only thing is, Connolly along with Flynn, is very important on Dublins kick outs, so he would be a big loss from the half forward line. I think that could play into our hands a little.

INDIANA

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 10, 2015, 04:31:30 PM

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

Dya think? A few of us were saying Dublin might do that, for two reasons. The one you've mentioned above and secondly because Keegan generally gets the better of him. The only thing is, Connolly along with Flynn, is very important on Dublins kick outs, so he would be a big loss from the half forward line. I think that could play into our hands a little.

Dermot has been very inactive on the Dublin kick-outs simply because he's the best player on the team now and has different responsibilities and a  different portfolio compared to other years. When I look at the likes of Keegan I'd never play my best forward on him. It's a waste of time. Even if they cancel each other out- that's a bigger win for Mayo then Dublin. So why take the chance?

I think Flynner is the man for him. Flynn is pound for pound the best wing forward in the country. He's out of form though due to circumstances beyond his control. This might be the carrot he needs to revitalise his season- the guy loves a challenge.

Ballaghman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2015, 04:46:54 PM

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

Dermot has been very inactive on the Dublin kick-outs simply because he's the best player on the team now and has different responsibilities and a  different portfolio compared to other years. When I look at the likes of Keegan I'd never play my best forward on him. It's a waste of time. Even if they cancel each other out- that's a bigger win for Mayo then Dublin. So why take the chance?

I think Flynner is the man for him. Flynn is pound for pound the best wing forward in the country. He's out of form though due to circumstances beyond his control. This might be the carrot he needs to revitalise his season- the guy loves a challenge.

I agree, Dublin would be wise to keep Connolly away from Keegan, we'll see if they have the luxury of doing that. Flynn on Keegan would be good for us too imo, Flynn would spend most of the game going the wrong way.
Wasn't Flynn converted to sweeper in 2013 against Kerry when Donaghy came on? Could be asked do a similar job the next day

INDIANA

Quote from: Ballaghman on August 10, 2015, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2015, 04:46:54 PM

P Flynn v Keegan
C Kilkenny v Vaughan
D Connolly v Boyle
P Andrews v Caff
B Brogan v Higgins

Plus a sweeper

I agree, Dublin would be wise to keep Connolly away from Keegan, we'll see if they have the luxury of doing that. Flynn on Keegan would be good for us too imo, Flynn would spend most of the game going the wrong way.
Wasn't Flynn converted to sweeper in 2013 against Kerry when Donaghy came on? Could be asked do a similar job the next day

Paul hasn't scored much this year. Keeping Keegan quiet would be a win for us based on current form