Give up your dole or join the RIR!

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, April 27, 2010, 02:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: stew on April 28, 2010, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 27, 2010, 11:54:17 PM
Its amazing the difference in perspective, depending on which side of the border you grew up in. Bitterness from the northerners, apathy and complacency from the southerners!

I have to admit though, if I was extremely short on career options and it was a choice between joining a foreign military, even the British one, and going on the dole, I'd certainly very seriously consider it. At one point, when things weren't looking too good for me after I came to the states, I did do a bit of reading on US military careers. Thankfully things came together fairly quickly and I never had to seriously investigate that option, but I may have done it if things had got bad enough.

But as to the subject at hand, how the hell can an Irish government body send out letters encouraging their citizens to join a foreign military?  ???

I would never consider becoming a british soldier, at some point you have to have some modicum of self respect, how could any Irishman seriously consider a career with that shower of b**tards?

As for the Irish Government recruiting for the brits, it is to be expected really, they kiss their arses and have done for decades, in short they fear the big bad brits and they are spineless fcukers in the Dail, well spineless and corrupt, it is no wonder the south is about to get downgraded credit wise a la Greece.

A life on the dole doesn't (or at least wouldn't for me) leave one with much self-respect anyway. As I said, we're talking about desperation in terms of career options.

Look at Ulysses Grant. Complete f**k-up in civilian life. One short civil war later and he's a national hero and then president! :P  ;)

rosnarun

i dont think it atall irrelevant that its the English army that were recruiting what if you were asked to quell riots on the bogside or harass residents on the falls road , carry out cross border spying raids would you still feel it was the same as the Foreign Legion .
once you sign up for an army they can do what they will with you
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Aerlik

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 28, 2010, 07:06:37 PM
Most of the people in Moyross and Southhill etc are rotten to the core, wouldn't they be better off shooting Afgans than killing shooting/stabbing/robbing innocent and not so innocent Limerick residents

that's right, Afghanis are all guilty of....well....ummm...errrr...ahem....let me see....

feeble attempt at humour if that is what your intention was.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Aerlik on April 29, 2010, 11:51:43 AM
Most of the people in Moyross and Southhill etc are rotten to the core, wouldn't they be better off shooting Afgans than killing shooting/stabbing/robbing innocent and not so innocent Limerick residents

that's right, Afghanis are all guilty of....well....ummm...errrr...ahem....let me see....

It's also not true.

There are a lot of scumbags in Moyross and Southill, no doubt. However, there are an awful lot more that are dead on. It's normal that the scumbags get most attention.

There's an asylum in Portlaoise. Doesn't mean most people in Portlaoise are mad. Erm. Actually.....

Nally Stand

Quote from: stew on April 28, 2010, 06:07:55 PM
I would never consider becoming a british soldier, at some point you have to have some modicum of self respect, how could any Irishman seriously consider a career with that shower of b**tards?

Nail hit square on the head. Maith thú.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2010, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on April 29, 2010, 11:51:43 AM

It's also not true.

There are a lot of scumbags in Moyross and Southill, no doubt. However, there are an awful lot more that are dead on. It's normal that the scumbags get most attention.

There's an asylum in Portlaoise. Doesn't mean most people in Portlaoise are mad. Erm. Actually.....

I lived in Caherdavin for 3 years,I know Moyross and there is far more scumbags than dead on people and I know 3 cops who are regularly in Moyross and also have had their squad car damaged and even burnt out on more than one occasion,but I did say "most" and not all btw  ;)

Portlaoise is an awful place too btw
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

I've been down around Limerick since 1991, apart from 4 years in the States. There are scumbags in Moyross, and they cause a lot of trouble, hence the hassle the guards get down there. Even on a per capita basis there are more scumbags there than anywhere else.

But I don't think nearly everyone in Moyross or Southill are rotten to the core, as you put it. I think there's a lot of frightened, intimidated people there, and the scumbags rule the estates. But that's different than what you said :D