Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 08, 2009, 06:34:38 PM
From Sligogaa.ie

Minor A Semi-Finals (Saturday 12 September 2009)

Replays if necessary Saturday 19 September 2009

Curry v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point

Venue:  Tubbercurry - Time 2pm

St John's v St Molaise gaels

Venue:  Tubbercurry - Time 3:30 pm

Minor Shield Competition – Round 2  (Saturday, 12th September, 2009)

Extra Time if level at Full Time

First named team has home advantage

Ballymote/Bunnanadden v Tubbercurry – Time: 2:00 p.m.

Coolera/Strandhill v St Farnan's – Time: 2:00 p.m.

Minor B Semi-Finals – (Saturday, 19th September, 2009)

Replays if necessary Saturday 26 September 2009 

Venue and times TBC
St. Pats v Tourlestrane

Castleconnor v Coolaney-Mullinabreena

Not too happy that an all North Sligo semi is being played in Tubber, but rather be in it than not. Good luck to our lads. Jees the games come thick and fast. Youll have a job to motivate your lads Stevo for the shield. Wouldnt know how to approach shield competition to be honest especially how ye lost the johns game.

Yea, was same for us last year when ourselves & calry played semi in tubber. Oxfield would be the obvious venue for your game.

Going to be really difficult for our lads to lift their heads. It doesnt help that the game is fixed on same day our seniors take on Harps in semi-final. Surely friday/sunday would make more sense to play the minor shield game.

Owenmoresider

Johnny Stenson one of Sligo's Greats has passed on

Johnny Stenson has fielded the highest catch ever, he has passed on to his eternal home, he was one of the finest Gaels this county has ever known his gentle approach won the hearts and respect of all who had the good fortune to be in his company on or off the field He played his football with his native Club Curry, then he got involved with St John's where he resided, he has left with the knowledge that their senior team has reached the County Senior Football Championship Semi-Final his son Shane playing a major part in that acheivement. Johnny wore the Black and White of Sligo as well as managing the Sligo Senior Team he also wore the colours of Connacht having played in the Railway Cup Competition He has left so many memories to us all many which will live with us until we meet again.

Ar dheis De go raibh a Annam Dilis.

Sad to hear this, hadn't been well during the year, thought he was recovering but alas he didn't make it. RIP.

paddypastit

Gutted and very very sad to hear about the passing of Johnny Stenson.

Every word of that tributre is so true. He was truly truly one of the gentleman of football and of life.  When I was a kid starting out on my county football life travelling up and down from Dublin to play with the minor team I used travel with Stenny and while some of the journeys were slightly 'colourful' I was minded like one of his own and made a friend for life. I was involved in the county senior setup when he stepped in to manage with Mick Laffey after Paul Clarke resigned in 1992 and again, while he himself would be the first to say that being the No. 1 man didn't suit him, you could only admire his passion for Sligo and for football. My fledgling coaching career was accelerated by Stenny's insistence that I explain some details of organisisng defence at frees because he "didn't like talking"!!

Think he played his first senior game for Sligo as a minor in '71 or '72. There was a great picture taken of him making a catch in the 1981 Connaught Final where his knees were on a Mayo lad's shoulders - bit like the famous picture of Seanie Walsh outjumping Brian Mullins that was an iconic image of the Dublin Kerry 70s / 80s rivallry.

I don't get to Sligo that often these days and it's a while since I've seen him but God I feel old hearing that - he couldn't be more than 55? Hard to believe... can hear that wheezy laugh now.  If ever there was a man that I met in my life of whom I could say that he made everybody he met feel better about themselves and that hadn't an enemy in the world, it was Johnny.  God bless you and thank you.

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Westie

A true legend, truely shocked when I heard this last night.

With family connections from the Curry area I remember seeing him play when I was a young fella and he stood out, his big catches, that throaty roar and of course the moustache and long hair. Even as a kid you knew there was devillment in him
I was there too when he and Mick Laffey took over the co panel in 92, like Paddy(don't have an idea who Paddy above is) and you knew that Johnny wanted to be having the craic with the lads but saw it as his duty to his county to do the job.
Even though I was cut from the panel, my respect for the man only grew, he always kept in contact, never avoided me afterwards, and to be honest I think it was harder for him to do it, than on me.
We have had a few good tussles in the last few years with Johns and you would hear the throaty laugh a mile away and no matter the result he was always looking to have a chat about the game, or any GAA game afterwards.

A true GAA legend. Ar Dheis Dé go raibh a anam

SLIGONIAN

I echo everyones comments above, before my time, but Dad had fierce respect this man, great man to catch a ball, said he really one of a few of the ex county players to regularly go to County and club matches throughout the yrs aswell. Great heart and determination and you knew he'd give his all, a real workhorse. My condolescenes to his family and everyone that knew him. Very sad day for Sligo football and it goes without saying that all the matches this weekend will be called off as mark of respect. Rest in peace a Sligo GAA Legend.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Buckass

Such a legend. Stenny was one of the greatest and mighty craic and company.
Paddy...that picture is in Howleys in Curry and in Johnny's company I was complimenting him on it...'ah yeah' he said...'didn't I drop the fecker on the way down!'. It was probably made up for comic effect.
His presence will be missed by all.

paddypastit

Buckass, that was a classic Stenny answer.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

SLIGONIAN

SLIGONIAN

Coolera 0-1 Harps 0-6 at HT

Disappointing scoreline, according to ocean fm, coolera are completely on top, 10 wides, 2 dropped short and barry doyle hit crossbar one on one. Suicide stats there.

Taylor has 5 scores 2 from play. In this day and age he should be kept quiet from play. If Coolera find there range they have enough potential to cut that lead. Need to wake up in front of goal, work it in for easier scores or draw frees, needs composure.

SLIGONIAN

Coolera 1-5 Harps 0-10 FT

Harps went 10 to2 up and coolera fought back , taylor missed a few handy frees to put game out of sight and coolera showed character. 1st half blew it for them, sounded like a funny kinda game..Dad said marty made some dodgy decisions  but didnt favour either. Costello seemed quiet, I think Phillips man marked him, itd be unusual for Phillips to be a tight marker so suprised at that. Disappionting game overall.

I have to say looking at the Sligo champions winning Connacht which is all I care about now hope the winners can up there game. St Johns motivation will be high to honour Johnny Stenson so that will be  a factor tomorrow. Dont think Harps will do aswell as last yr if they win Sligo. Tour might have woken up but we will see tomorrow, very inconsistent.

Geevagh beat Coolaney 2-11 to 0-10 in the intermediate semi.

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to St Johns in the minor semi, beat our lads 2-8 to 1-8.

Bunnieman

Coolera bet themselves as far as I can see it. They had enough posession and chances to keep in contention in the first half if not win it out.

However such is football but had Barry O'Mahoney being playing from the start it could have been different. He came on and got 2 points winthin 5 mins.

However I was sick at how Coolera played. The big high ball in to a two man forward line and it never worked. It was like watching a replay every time. As for Harps they can be lucky that Coolera didnt come out to play as their preformance was average. But thats all that was needed to beat them.

In the Intermediate my own Bunnies scrapped through after having a 0-6 to 0-1 lead at half time. Discipline was terrible and again the Harps forwards let themselves down with 9 wides most from scoreable positions. However in fairness the best team did win however it was not a proud preformance.

Harps played the tactic of furstrating our boys and it worked. We had a man sent off which I believe was fair enough but Harps also should have a man put off and another 3 yellow cards at least. Geevagh put in a good preformance against a poor Mullinabreena team and I'd be wary of them in the final.

magpie seanie

Can't comment on our defeat to Harps. I'm still sick. I can't describe how sick I am.

I see John's minors beat Molaise Gaels too which just adds to it.

SLIGONIAN

In the minor game our lads were a bit unfortunate, we lost Liam Kennedy at HT, our county player and full back, huge loss, gave away 2 soft second half goals after we went 2pts up, also Johnny kelly hit crossbar late on.  Things just didnt go our way. Good Luck to Johns in the final.

Would personnaly love to see St Johns go on to win minor and senior this yr.

Bunnieman, couldnt believe harps 2nd team got within a 1pt of yereselves.

Bunnieman

Yes Sligoian I know but Harps second team are decent enough. They've been in the semi-finals these last few years however I must admit that I expected a 4-5 point win. However we got a rattle but in fairness the best team one in the end. At half time you would have thought it was game over at 0-6 to 0-1, and we even extended our lead. But the last 12 minutes or so was terrible for us.

However as they say a win is a win. Even if by a point. I also heard that Harps intermediates bet Harps seniors in a challenge and it wouldnt suprise me either.