Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I thought kilkenny's touch was at times poor and they reverted to long balls a lot. They did a great job keeping gillane and Flanagan so quiet but they lost nearly every other battle on the field barring Cody in the first half.

It was very similar to the Galway game. It's like limerick suss out your tactics in the first twenty to twenty five minutes then make their changes and that's that.

Milltown Row2

Again only people complaining are big ballers.

Well ref'd some fouls missed but no Spanish Inquisition needed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2023, 09:53:32 PM

Thought Keenan did well, not an easy game to ref with those conditions. That's him down and dusted as an IC ref as he has turned 50

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 23, 2023, 10:21:15 PM

Thought Keenan did well, not an easy game to ref with those conditions. That's him down and dusted as an IC ref as he has turned 50

Which is crazy, another top ref stepped down also cause he's 50! I want to know the logic to that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Harold Disgracey

I find it very puzzling that Diarmaid Byrnes wasn't nominated for man of the match.

imtommygunn

He did  good job that's why no one complaining... Also the game wasn' really close which it was in the football.

Kidder81

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 23, 2023, 11:50:44 PM
I find it very puzzling that Diarmaid Byrnes wasn't nominated for man of the match.

Yeah absolute nonsense, outside of his general play scoring 0-8 from half back in AIF. A monster point from play, difficult frees in poor conditions (for most other players) towering catch when they were turning the tide. I thought he was immense

BuzzCagney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 23, 2023, 11:50:44 PM

Agree with this.  Won a lot of ball and scored some pressure frees when Limerick struggling.

BuzzCagney

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2023, 05:10:29 PM
What a team. Began to feel sorry for kk at the end.

Wouldn't feel supporters.  An arrogant bunch.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 07:20:55 AM

He did  good job that's why no one complaining... Also the game wasn' really close which it was in the football.

So when the games close the ref is shit ;D

The crazy thing about yesterday was Kilkenny have improved this year, they were able to really go at Limerick and at halftime there was a belief that there could be an upset, by the time I'd finished my pint at halftime, there was a point in it!

There was a huge press on the puck outs resulting in Limericks halfback line winning nearly all of them, cleanly I might add, and the short puck outs were hounded until the coughed up possession, the accuracy was off the chart, nearly everything they hit went over in that second half

Kilkenny needed a plan to stop that momentum, but couldn't engineer a free or tack over scoreable chances, they needed to try and either bypass that half backline or shot long distance

I remember Wexford back in the day when Kilkenny dominated and had a similar half back line to Limericks, and Wexford used the short pass and running game to counteract the Kilkenny's half back line, and it worked for a while if I remember well, they got goals

Whatever needs done to break their dominance, its going to take a serious effort, cause you can't go toe to toe with these boys

imtommygunn

Or when it's close calls can have a major bearing on the outcome  ;D

Kilkenny reverted to type a lot too though so while they improved this year in nearly all of their games I kind of felt they regressed a bit yesterday.

Hard to see Limerick's dominance being broken any time soon. Finn to come back in, Lynch to get a good year behind him, Hannon to come back etc. I dunno how they'll fit all those players in if they're all fit.

Hayes right pick for POTY. Beast of a man.

NAG1

Game kind of played out how I expected it too.

KK completely flooded the middle third and had serious joy in that first 30mins.

Lynch turned up in a big way and had a massive impact on turning the game back towards Limerick.

Serious sign of a team, when the two most prolific forwards were largely kept out of the game and the third Casey pops up and has a wonder game.

Although KK did make a game of it, there is a lingering feeling that Clare would have made for a better final.

mouview

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2023, 09:12:53 AM

Kilkenny reverted to type a lot too though so while they improved this year in nearly all of their games I kind of felt they regressed a bit yesterday.

Hard to see Limerick's dominance being broken any time soon. Finn to come back in, Lynch to get a good year behind him, Hannon to come back etc. I dunno how they'll fit all those players in if they're all fit.

Don't see that Kilkenny improved this year. Got a lot of lucky breaks to reach the final and Reid didn't actually score from play yesterday or in the semi. Four of their forwards were swapped out yesterday, (did Billy Ryan even touch the ball?) and midfield beaten up a stick. If anything, the scoreline flattered Kilkenny yesterday, very mediocre team by their standards. Gave a much better account of themselves in last year's decider.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on July 24, 2023, 11:13:03 AM

Don't see that Kilkenny improved this year. Got a lot of lucky breaks to reach the final and Reid didn't actually score from play yesterday or in the semi. Four of their forwards were swapped out yesterday, (did Billy Ryan even touch the ball?) and midfield beaten up a stick. If anything, the scoreline flattered Kilkenny yesterday, very mediocre team by their standards. Gave a much better account of themselves in last year's decider.
reminscent of the Galway semi

imtommygunn

Quote from: mouview on July 24, 2023, 11:13:03 AM

Tbh maybe when you think about it they haven't improved that much. I would say this though - they were pretty much too good for Clare. While that was tight and there was the odd call here or there you never really got the feeling Clare would win that game. Yes they were lucky enough against Galway mind you.

I don't think against a team as physical as Limerick some of their players are quite at that physical level. I don't think any other team is mind you.

Reid can do a lot without scoring too though. I think he struggled yesterday but he did cause bother against Clare.