Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2023, 11:58:18 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 15, 2023, 10:28:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2023, 09:41:32 AM
The problem in Leinster at the moment is that Offaly and Wexford are well off the pace and Dublin needs a few years to get back to the pace.
Maybe Waterford could be transferred or swapped with Wexford for  few years.

There's no cut and thrust in Leinster, anyone with an inkling of an idea in hurling had a Leinster final of Galway v Kilkenny, that never really looked in any doubt.

In Munster we'd Limerick on the cusp of going out on the last day with Tipp only having to beat Waterford to get a berth in the Munster final, and with Tipp failing to beat Waterford there was a chance of Cork and Limerick both going through at Tipps expense if they managed to draw, Limerick only won by a point to get an unexpected Munster final berth.

That keeps the public engaged all the way through, Leinster need Wexford and Dublin cutting lumps out of the other two on a consistent basis.
Leinster needs 5 decent teams so it needs Offaly as well.

Indeed, but Offaly are going to find out this weekend that they're a good bit off the pace currently.

imtommygunn

Why do they need Offaly?

Why do they not need Carlow? Or Laois? Or Westmeath? Or Antrim? etc...

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2023, 12:15:27 PM
Why do they need Offaly?

Why do they not need Carlow? Or Laois? Or Westmeath? Or Antrim? etc...
The more the better. Offaly are making their way back. Hurling needs a plan for Antrim,  Laois etc.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 15, 2023, 12:06:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2023, 11:58:18 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 15, 2023, 10:28:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2023, 09:41:32 AM
The problem in Leinster at the moment is that Offaly and Wexford are well off the pace and Dublin needs a few years to get back to the pace.
Maybe Waterford could be transferred or swapped with Wexford for  few years.

There's no cut and thrust in Leinster, anyone with an inkling of an idea in hurling had a Leinster final of Galway v Kilkenny, that never really looked in any doubt.

In Munster we'd Limerick on the cusp of going out on the last day with Tipp only having to beat Waterford to get a berth in the Munster final, and with Tipp failing to beat Waterford there was a chance of Cork and Limerick both going through at Tipps expense if they managed to draw, Limerick only won by a point to get an unexpected Munster final berth.

That keeps the public engaged all the way through, Leinster need Wexford and Dublin cutting lumps out of the other two on a consistent basis.
Leinster needs 5 decent teams so it needs Offaly as well.

Indeed, but Offaly are going to find out this weekend that they're a good bit off the pace currently.
How much time do you think they need? 5-7 years ?

How many hurlers are there in Belfast ? What would be the split between Down and Antrim ?

Hurling this year is very exciting but for the endgame there are only really 6 teams at a similar level. Waterford and Wexford are in a slump, Dublin are rebuilding and there is a gap to the chasers.

imtommygunn

Belfast teams have won one antrim championship this century(IIRC) and the down belfast team look like they're getting relegated to antrim division three...

seafoid

Hurling can be reintroduced to places . Belfast is an underused asset for Antrim and Down where the hurling footprint is the problem.
Laois is different https://youtu.be/D8sTmXpgBS0&t=5220s

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2023, 02:56:01 PM
Belfast teams have won one antrim championship this century(IIRC) and the down belfast team look like they're getting relegated to antrim division three...

See that, a bit surprised by that TBH but their Down neighbours (Is Carryduff still Belfast?) have consolidated their stay in Div2.

I'd say it's at least an 90/10 split towards Antrim in terms of adult hurlers in Belfast, probably more maybe.

WRT Antrim, when was the last time an Antrim team won an A grade underage hurling title?

Offaly need to keep building on their 2022 minors and 2023 U20's of which there's a big overlap, so you can't put a timeframe on how long it'll take, but it'll need to be a sustained effort to the standard of those two teams and Leo O'Connor, a Limerick man, can't do everything.

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on June 15, 2023, 03:01:12 PM

Hurling can be reintroduced to places . Belfast is an underused asset for Antrim and Down where the hurling footprint is the problem.
Laois is different https://youtu.be/D8sTmXpgBS0&t=5220s

I don't want to speak ill of the dead

But Teddy was a disaster as Laois manager,I could give 4/5 shocking examples but I won't

Some of what he spoke about as regards player  buy isn't an issue with the likes of Willie Maher

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on June 15, 2023, 03:06:27 PM

See that, a bit surprised by that TBH but their Down neighbours (Is Carryduff still Belfast?) have consolidated their stay in Div2.

I'd say it's at least an 90/10 split towards Antrim in terms of adult hurlers in Belfast, probably more maybe.

WRT Antrim, when was the last time an Antrim team won an A grade underage hurling title?

Offaly need to keep building on their 2022 minors and 2023 U20's of which there's a big overlap, so you can't put a timeframe on how long it'll take, but it'll need to be a sustained effort to the standard of those two teams and Leo O'Connor, a Limerick man, can't do everything.

A grade as in AI A grade? Not in my lifetime and questionable if ever unless I have missed a big chunk of history... Club the only A grade we have been particularly successful at.

Carryduff do seem to be improving a lot. Surprised about Bredagh as some of your neighbours told me he reckoned it wouldn't be that long before they won a down title.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2023, 03:15:20 PM

A grade as in AI A grade? Not in my lifetime and questionable if ever unless I have missed a big chunk of history... Club the only A grade we have been particularly successful at.

Carryduff do seem to be improving a lot. Surprised about Bredagh as some of your neighbours told me he reckoned it wouldn't be that long before they won a down title.

Think quite a few Bredagh players went to Australia, they were strong last year
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

johnnycool

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 15, 2023, 03:58:38 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2023, 03:15:20 PM

Think quite a few Bredagh players went to Australia, they were strong last year

They were pushing for promotion last year and had some very good underage hurlers coming through their ranks so that's disappointing..

marty34

It all comes from the clubs first. That where the real work goes in.  County coaches and managers can only work with what they've got coming through at 15, 16 and 17.

seafoid

TIPPERARY (SHC v Offaly): Rhys Shelly; Eoghan Connolly, Michael Breen, Craig Morgan; Bryan O'Mara, Ronan Maher, Dan McCormack; Conor Stakelum, Noel McGrath; Alan Tynan, Jason Forde, Séamus Kennedy; Jake Morris, Séamus Callanan, Mark Kehoe.

Subs: Barry Hogan, John Campion, Pauric Campion, Joe Fogarty, Enda Heffernan, John McGrath, Gearóid O'Connor, Niall O'Meara, Jack Ryan, Johnny Ryan, Seán Ryan.

OFFALY: Stephen Corcoran; Ben Conneely, Ciarán Burke, David King; Jack Clancy, Jason Sampson, Killian Sampson; Eimhin Kelly, Sam Bourke; Brian Duignan, Eoghan Cahill, Adrian Cleary; Cillian Kiely, Paddy Clancy, Charlue Mitchell.

Subs: Eamon Cleary, Paddy Delaney, Eoghan Parlon, Liam Langton, John Murphy, James Nally, Conor Langton, Cathal O'Meara, Joe Hoctor, Cathal King, Ross Ravenhill.

johnnycool

Tipp flying under the radar, should dispatch Offaly without much effort and be ready to give Galway a right rattle in the QF.

Dublin might get a sterner test down in Dr Cullen park if they're not zoned it, physical outfit Carlow who won't spare the ash.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on June 16, 2023, 04:07:44 PM
Tipp flying under the radar, should dispatch Offaly without much effort and be ready to give Galway a right rattle in the QF.

Dublin might get a sterner test down in Dr Cullen park if they're not zoned it, physical outfit Carlow who won't spare the ash.
Tipp are priced to beat Galway. That's fantastic motivation for Galway if they can sort out the backs.