Ireland v Australia, Rules Test 1, Breffni Park, Saturday 19 October 2013

Started by BennyCake, October 02, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: stephenite on October 20, 2013, 04:28:20 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2013, 04:03:12 AM
Quote from: RandyDupree on October 20, 2013, 12:36:03 AM
I'd have more interest in the Railway cup.
A few posters on here hated the Railway cup and want it scrapped however those same few posters think the international rules is great and should continue?

The Railway Cup should be scrapped as the public have demonstrated zero interest. If the powers that be scrapped International Rules (which I'm a fan of) and replaced it with the Railway Cup I'd be happy see if 17k showed up to watch it.

The issue however is not Railway Cup vs International Rules. The issue is viability of this concept, given 17k pay to watch it, which is a hell of a lot more than even some of our own matches, it would appear viable to continue in my view.
Attendance figures for division two,three,four and championship qualifiers isn't great should they be scrapped also?

rrhf

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2013, 05:33:15 AM
A few posters on here hated the Railway cup and want it scrapped however those same few posters think the international rules is great and should continue?

The Railway Cup should be scrapped as the public have demonstrated zero interest. If the powers that be scrapped International Rules (which I'm a fan of) and replaced it with the Railway Cup I'd be happy see if 17k showed up to watch it.

The issue however is not Railway Cup vs International Rules. The issue is viability of this concept, given 17k pay to watch it, which is a hell of a lot more than even some of our own matches, it would appear viable to continue in my view.
Attendance figures for division two,three,four and championship qualifiers isn't great should they be scrapped also?
We use the term cost neutral to describe any wholly unnecessary costs that we can write off on what the gaa public and sponsors give us. It doesn't make it right when we exploit what is not a bottomless pit and squander it. Properly placed interpros would gain this crowd a fraction of the cost and with a real sport.

rrhf

Noted also on hoganstand a pic of Conor mc manus getting a cynical foul

stephenite

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2013, 05:33:15 AM

League games/Qualifiers have a purpose - promotion/relegation and provide a platform for teams to launch into Championship.

Railway Cup is an exhibition series, as is International Rules.

Compare apples with apples.

AZOffaly

I was in Thomond park so I didn't see this, but I heard the last 10 minutes on the radio. I heard Peter canavan mentio our lads 'soccer styling' several times. Was there a lot of that again?

INDIANA

Its an incredibly poor game to watch. Granted the players wantt o play in it and the attendance is adequate.

But its pure exhibition at this stage. The Aussies have to participate in an international game at AFL to ensure their funding from the Govt like the other sports. So its largely just a jolly up. They've lost any interest in it.

BUt besides all that. Its awful to watch.

At what point though does player burnout become an issue? Sometimes players are the worst people to be making that call. They are expected to play club, county, colleges and now this?

Barmy in my opinion.

Sea The Stars

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 20, 2013, 08:39:03 AM
I was in Thomond park so I didn't see this, but I heard the last 10 minutes on the radio. I heard Peter canavan mentio our lads 'soccer styling' several times. Was there a lot of that again?

Sean Cavanagh was the biggest culprit. When he played Gaelic Football, he wanted to tackle people Aussie Rules style. When he plays Aussie Rules, he wants to play soccer!! In fairness to Cavanagh he stood out as one of Ireland's better performers. Paul Flynn, Aidan Walsh, Jack McCaffrey and Ross Munnelly also played well.

tommysmith

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 20, 2013, 10:23:51 AM

17000 attended. 17000 didnt pay in

I went in the end against my better judgement got a free ticket.

There was more than 17000 at it id say at least 23000

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 20, 2013, 10:34:59 AM

Sean Cavanagh was the biggest culprit. When he played Gaelic Football, he wanted to tackle people Aussie Rules style. When he plays Aussie Rules, he wants to play soccer!! In fairness to Cavanagh he stood out as one of Ireland's better performers. Paul Flynn, Aidan Walsh, Jack McCaffrey and Ross Munnelly also played well.

Sean Cavanagh seems to be an easy target and a hate figure for most people on this board (outside of Tyrone). Any time I see him play he's been great to watch and in interviews comes across as a nice fella. Go out to your county finals today and you'll see plenty of those tackles and dives. There won't be character assassinations afterwards in the press/media either.

The amount of 'honest' players on this board would sicken your hole :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

Of course there was more then 17000, they weren't including u16's in that figure.

tommysmith

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 20, 2013, 11:45:28 AM
Of course there was more then 17000, they weren't including u16's in that figure.

Or any jammy fcukers who got free tickets, or the county boards, friends of the lads doing the turnstiles, players families.........
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tommysmith

I haven't read back the thread, has anyone mentioned how dung it was?

lawnseed

Quote from: Sea The Stars on October 20, 2013, 10:34:59 AM

sean Cavanagh would stroll on to any county side in the country. sean does what it takes to win.. he was through on goal twice in last nights game and had he received a return pass would have bagged two goals..
i'll bet he hooks up with connor McManus in the second game for a couple of goals
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once