Gym Workouts

Started by pullhard, October 25, 2013, 05:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Been trying the Tapout XT workout programme on and off for the last while. Haven't been able to do the actual calendar (90 days, with one rest day a week) as I've been training for other events so been using it as a series of one-off workouts.

Find it very good as a high intensity workout. A mate of mine has completed the 90 day course and lost loads of weight and toned up heaps.
Hasta la victoria siempre

JimStynes

Give Crossfit a go if u get the chance. Full of dickheads usually but the training is excellent as long as u don't try and lift too heavy.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: JimStynes on October 28, 2013, 07:10:37 AM
Give Crossfit a go if u get the chance. Full of d**kheads usually but the training is excellent as long as u don't try and lift too heavy.
Pretty expensive though, isn't it? I just searched for Crossfit near me. Its $30 a go for ad-hoc, $45/week for 2 classes, $50 for 3 classes etc....
Hasta la victoria siempre

OakleafCounty

In my experience you're better educating yourself online for free and in some cases for a small fee rather than taking a huge gamble on a personal trainer who may or may not work for you. You're new to this and you still need to learn the basics so jumping straight into things like Crossfit and Insanity might not be the best way to start. Whether you are new or a seasoned lifter any resistance programme you do should be based around basic free weight and bodyweight excercises, espicially: Squats, deadlift, military press, bent over row, press-ups, pull-ups, dips and bench press. Let the cable machinces gather dust. If you have access to Youtube you can find good demonstrations for free. Two men I've been following online for years now are Zach Even Esch and Jim Smith (Diesel Crew). They both have free e-books which you should read and save. They also have good programmes to buy most of which are less than the price of one session with a pt.

The emphasis is strength/health rather than 6-pack abs but through time with a clean diet and added cardio the mirror muscles will come.

Milltown Row2

Did this exercise the other night, I'm aching from it, 24's, basically it's 24 v sit ups 24 squats (with a weight) and 24 press ups then work it down to 23 , 22, and so on till 1, seems ok but when I hit the 15 mark the sweat was lashing out of me. Sides were sore and quads sore

You could mix it up by changing the drills to suit but have 3 different types and start at 24 and work it down.

I was never into the gym scene always found it odd. Lads shouting while lifting weights and posing in the mirror weirdos walking around not even training, didn't know what they were there for!! But started over 2 years ago and have settled in well, usually Spin 3 times a week, an Insanity class and a Pump class, all factored in with free weights sessions.

I don't rigidly stick to everything but have a double session on a Sat morning, Pump followed by Spin class. Sets you up for the weekend. I don't think I would have got into doing Triathlons had I not been going to the gym, glad I did as going to the gym has a purpose now.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

Mickey Conlan, former Derry keeper looks good after his hard work. I dunno what he did however.

heganboy

Mickey is now working as a PT in Ballinderry in his own place called the shed 10 more info here https://twitter.com/theshed10

you couldn't meet a better calibre of a man, one of the best...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Tony Baloney

Give Crossfit a go if u get the chance. Full of d**kheads usually but the training is excellent as long as u don't try and lift too heavy.
I know a few go to the one in Portydown. Listening to them it sounds like a cult rather than a gym and they think there is nobody like them. Seems to get results though as it appears full-on.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 28, 2013, 01:54:56 PM
I know a few go to the one in Portydown. Listening to them it sounds like a cult rather than a gym and they think there is nobody like them. Seems to get results though as it appears full-on.

I'm not a fan of Crossfit at all. Too many injury stories, too many poor coaches teaching bad weightlifting form. The idea of "competitive fitness" is nonsense. A friend who's a big fan of it in London went to the gym with me a couple of months ago. He'd be very lean and toned, if not quite shredded, but when it came to strength work on the bench or squats, he was ruined.

Crossfit incorporates too many different exercises to yield significant strength gains. They might do 3 reps on a 50kg bench press as part of one of their WODs and then not bench again for a month. Great for getting lean and muscle definition if that's all you want though.

On top of that, it's absolutely f**king extortionate.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on October 28, 2013, 02:10:23 PM

I'm not a fan of Crossfit at all. Too many injury stories, too many poor coaches teaching bad weightlifting form. The idea of "competitive fitness" is nonsense. A friend who's a big fan of it in London went to the gym with me a couple of months ago. He'd be very lean and toned, if not quite shredded, but when it came to strength work on the bench or squats, he was ruined.

Crossfit incorporates too many different exercises to yield significant strength gains. They might do 3 reps on a 50kg bench press as part of one of their WODs and then not bench again for a month. Great for getting lean and muscle definition if that's all you want though.

I was laughing at them as the guy who runs it is moving to bigger premises and this doll was going on about hpw great it will be as he will have sofas and fridges and providing "free" beer and pizza once a month etc.and a real social aspect to it. When I asked how he is funding all this she said he putting up the monthly fee  :D I think she pays the guts of 100 quid a month!

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 28, 2013, 03:04:44 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 28, 2013, 02:10:23 PM

I was laughing at them as the guy who runs it is moving to bigger premises and this doll was going on about hpw great it will be as he will have sofas and fridges and providing "free" beer and pizza once a month etc.and a real social aspect to it. When I asked how he is funding all this she said he putting up the monthly fee  :D I think she pays the guts of 100 quid a month!

Aye it's a fuckin cult and half of them are american wannabes. Some of the stuff they come out with is cringe worthy. We have our own private cross fit gym which isn't as bad but theres a few in mine who would do your head in as well. Ours is £35 per month. Your own gym, great equipment and facility so good enough value for money. I think portadown's is going to be the biggest in Ireland, I think he charges 50 a month at the minute and he has 100 members.

Most of the training itself is excellent though and if you see the gains and improvements in fitness people make who stick at is unreal. Look at the bodies on the women and men who are decent at it then the results speak for themselves. Gallsman is right though about injuries, some of the coaches are crap and haven't a clue. I remember listening to this fella who was into crossfit for about a year and he was slagging off a weightlifters technique, saying how he could do this and that. I found out later the weightlifter was competing at the olympics.

Our gym gets the N.Iron weightlifting coaches in every now and again and goes through all the techniques of the different lifts. So you learn a lot but you need to be disciplined with the weight you use and try not to lift to heavy. The body weight and gymnastic type WODs are unreal though and very tough.  Give it a go, it's excellent training but you will listen to some wankers talking crap.

tintin25

Anyone been to the ifit classes in Belfast? Run by Ian Young who is an ex kickboxer/irish league player. Hear a lot going on about the classes and how good they are, but as a few of you mentioned before seems to be like a cult! Can't be bothered with all that nonsense.

gallsman

That sounds about right from what I know of it Jim. The lads in London that I know do it pay about £190 a month. They also then buy all the Reebok gear for it on top.

One of the things that drives me insane about it is how people will pay those kind of prices and are "allowed" four or five classes a week for it, there are no changing rooms or showers and sometimes half the WODs they do are "go for a 3 mile run".

They've a particularly annoying social media following. Again, the one in London put up this comment a few weeks ago about how they'd installed the equivalent of a bookcase to allow people store their shoes etc. "Awesome idea". "Brilliant". "350+ people like this". Gullible twats.

Rant over.

I'm a member of Newpark Sports Centre in Dublin. For €300 for the year I get unlimited access to the gym, seven days a week. There's a 25m pool I can use any time there's no class. There's swimming lessons I can avail of if I want included in the price. I can also any of the multiple nightly classes from Circuits, Abs, TRX, Box Fit, Spinning etc.

Orior

I jog, cycle, and play golf and squash.

Going to the gym bores the bejayus out of me. In fact, they are just pick-up joints. And the girls that chase Neanderthals with six-packs are not worth picking up, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

gallsman

Quote from: Orior on October 28, 2013, 07:39:28 PM
I jog, cycle, and play golf and squash.

Going to the gym bores the bejayus out of me. In fact, they are just pick-up joints. And the girls that chase Neanderthals with six-packs are not worth picking up, lol.

I've started jogging recently as well as I felt I wasn't getting enough cardio but it bores the hell out of me. Lifting weights doesn't for some reason, I quite enjoy it. I've really seen strength gains in the six months that I've been on a programme that I had designed for me and am delighted with the progress. Everybody wants to get shredded and have the six pack and the biceps but realistically, you can have all that and still be weak as f**k.