Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on October 23, 2019, 01:01:13 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 23, 2019, 09:57:25 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50150070

Not good.
Just curious but why is he charged with murder?

He's not charged,  he's arrested on suspicion of murder. He would never be found guilty of murder but normally arrest on the highest charge and then work back from there. To be honest but call me a cynic but this is a very 'convenient' story for the Government.

yellowcard

Sounds like a harrowing tragedy, who knows if the driver was even privy as to the contents of the trailer at this stage. I dread to think what the poor people contained within the trailer of that lorry must have went through. 

Jeepers Creepers

Terrible tragedy.
Lorry travelled from Bulgaria to England via Dublin & Holyhead? No checks along the way or did they board somewhere along the way?

under the bar

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 23, 2019, 01:21:33 PM

Not good.

He's not charged,  he's arrested on suspicion of murder. He would never be found guilty of murder but normally arrest on the highest charge and then work back from there. To be honest but call me a cynic but this is a very 'convenient' story for the Government.

+1   Johnson will probably point to this tragedy as an example why Brexit needs to get done!

general_lee

Not good.

Ah. He's been named, Portadown gentleman.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 23, 2019, 01:46:06 PM
Terrible tragedy.
Lorry travelled from Bulgaria to England via Dublin & Holyhead? No checks along the way or did they board somewhere along the way?
The container entered the UK from Belgium. The lorry came across from Holyhead
Careful now

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: general_lee on October 23, 2019, 04:12:41 PM

Not good.

Ah. He's been named, Portadown gentleman.

If he's not guilty or involved, hard to see how he ever recovers from being named named. Guardian have named him online I see.

imtommygunn

Yeah I think that is completely out of line to name him.

LeoMc

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 23, 2019, 04:15:43 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 23, 2019, 01:46:06 PM
Terrible tragedy.
The container entered the UK from Belgium. The lorry came across from Holyhead
So he possibly had just collected the trailer and had no idea what was inside?
Would the container have come across by boat?

lurganblue

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2019, 04:29:08 PM
Yeah I think that is completely out of line to name him.

I only heard the news at about 10am on the radio and within a few mins I had a name and picture of the lad sent to me through Whatsapp.  Astonishing how quickly this got around.

yellowcard

His name is being widely circulated on news channels which seems premature given the fact that he has not been charged. We don't even know what his part was in a likely case of human trafficking or if indeed he was even aware of what was in the back of the trailer. I severely doubt if a lone haulier was behind this exploitation of 39 people for profit in what is an horrendous loss of life.   

Ambrose

Terrible tragedy and obviously the young man shouldn't have been named, he is after all entitled to the presumption of innocence, however people trying to make a political point, especially those in the public eye, really do need to think before they post inflammatory material.

QuoteLord John Kilclooney @KilclooneyJohn
The tragedy of 39 persons being killed in a lorry in Essex is terrible. It is now confirmed that the Bulgarian Registered lorry is owned by a person in the Republic of Ireland and, although the driver comes from NI, he may well have opted for RoI Passport to ease travel via EU!
You can't live off history and tradition forever

yellowcard

Quote from: Ambrose on October 23, 2019, 06:20:25 PM
Terrible tragedy and obviously the young man shouldn't have been named, he is after all entitled to the presumption of innocence, however people trying to make a political point, especially those in the public eye, really do need to think before they post inflammatory material.

QuoteLord John Kilclooney @KilclooneyJohn
The tragedy of 39 persons being killed in a lorry in Essex is terrible. It is now confirmed that the Bulgarian Registered lorry is owned by a person in the Republic of Ireland and, although the driver comes from NI, he may well have opted for RoI Passport to ease travel via EU!

John Taylor is another bitter former unionist leader. Those comments say more about him and his anti Irishness than anything. Whilst his comments even make a lot of sense, it appears that he is trying to make a political point out of a terrible human tragedy.