McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: INDIANA on March 09, 2009, 10:03:16 AM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 09, 2009, 09:49:32 AM
QuoteFor one of the greatest hurling teams of our age to be training away alone twice a week while a regiment of spotty imposters fill their jersey.

what an utterly disgraceful comment by Humphries. Jesus, has this man no shame?

Or how about this one;

Quotean unfortunate bunch of tyros willing to be cast in the role of blacklegs

I'm not sure even a pro-player individual could agree with his articles in the last few weeks. Thats a shocking comment because its a direct insult to those players rather than an inferred one. You'd begin to wonder the licence he's given at editorial level. He'll certainly be getting a direct email from me on the subject. His column this morning is ludricrous.
He's entitled to his opinion but not to directly insult people who haven't in any way insulted anyone in the debate.

Whats his point insulting and degrading the 2009 lads ffs? This would be a whole bigger mess had Cork completely went on strike. In fairness from what i heard they werent afraid to put themselves on the line of fire on the field and did put it up to tipp. Just lacking in county conditioning and therefore physicality needed.

I just dont understand how McCarthy was ratified by the clubs a few months now theyre not happy but Orangeman has answered it. You seem to question the free will of the voting clubs since then and that is said to hear that the players would stup so low. Im really disgusted if what you said is true. The GAA doesnt need players like this.

Sickening comments from Humphries >:(, should be taken to task over it.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

cornafean

Quote from: INDIANA on March 09, 2009, 10:03:16 AM
He'll certainly be getting a direct email from me on the subject.

Might be no harm to cc your email to his editor.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on March 08, 2009, 09:09:36 PM
The clubs have spoken.
Both montions passed overwhemingly so.
Thomas Ryan of Dripsey, a great man, respectable GAA man, chaired the meeting, the playres as expected steped aside and let the clubs run the meeting.

193-0 in favour of Ger Mc stepping down.
44 abstained.

A very significant that Ger Mc did not receive any vote, yet 44 abstained. The CCB cannot go on ignoring the will of the clubs.
Well done to the players who put everything on the line for this, and well done to the clubs for backing them. But nothings sorted yet.

The clubs have spoken and I can't wait to see how the pro CB posters and the CB themselves spin this.

The clubs have spoken.

I think all people, clubs and all wanted an end to this and the most obvious route to a quick solution is Ger's removal from the post and I'd suggest that its the only option now for Ger is to walk away now with his dignity still intact.

As for it not being anything personal against Ger, that's utter bullshite as the players systematically picked holes in him, not remembering their clubs, not visiting them in hospital, not knowing whether they'd played in a game or not. Now if that isn't personal i don't know what is.
Ger was wrong to leak any of the private material that he did but IMO i think he fighting critism of his training and tactics from the 2008 panel in the press at the time.

Is the time ripe now for the players to go for the main man, Frank Murphy or will they be happy with their lot but just wait for Frank to get even with them again?

Bud Wiser

Posted by: bingobus 
Insert Quote
I see the papers today have the pictures of the great Cork Hurling man who addressed the march yesterday and was at the match as one of the protestors - the great DES BISHOP 

As I said a few pages back, Des won't fit into the scheme, he wears Nike, although he does keep whatever sponsorship he gets for himself so maybe they have something in common.

Tell me this, will the proposed new regime,  now on the brink of taking over, get to keep their individual sponsorships of  40,000 and will the 160,000 for wearing Adidas be retained by themselves or filtered down to young lads in clubs.   I was thinking there that a few years ago Laois were prohibited from taking 150,000 off Puma to rename O'Moore Park and I am just wondering where is the consistency from Croke Park.  Will the reformed Cork GAA be going their considered professional route and adapting the notion that any sponsorship received is for individual players and has nothing to do with clubs, the gaa or Croke Park.

The dispute has gone on too long, nobody outside of Cork cares anymore.  Ye might need Des Bishop yet to cheer ye up on your travels this year because I for one will not be looking forward with anticipation for a visit of either the Cork team or its suporters.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 09, 2009, 10:51:24 AM
Will the reformed Cork GAA be going their considered professional route and adapting the notion that any sponsorship received is for individual players and has nothing to do with clubs, the gaa or Croke Park.

Of course it will - as Reillers has already clarified for us, the new Cork regime will be a GPA driven capitalist setup (the communism will be ditched as soon as they take over) - the 2008 hurlers success has nothing whatsoever to do with the clubs or the thousands of volunteers who've contributed to their success to date and as such, any sponsorship deals which conflict with their self-enrichment will be cast aside like the changing of the seasons.

Not unlike the current setup, it'll be a brave man who'll raise his hand in the air to disagree with any of the GPA leaders in the new regime. To think Robert Mugabe was hailed as a revolutionary and a breath of fresh air against a stale, oppressive regime - he now lives a life of unparalleled comfort in contrast to the 'grassroots' who starve in the streets.

The GPA's view on the ordinary club member or the 'grassroots' is well known at this stage...

theskull1

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 09, 2009, 09:49:32 AM
QuoteFor one of the greatest hurling teams of our age to be training away alone twice a week while a regiment of spotty imposters fill their jersey.

what an utterly disgraceful comment by Humphries. Jesus, has this man no shame?

Or how about this one;

Quotean unfortunate bunch of tyros willing to be cast in the role of blacklegs

That is totally sickening. I have REAL issues with the "power" that these hacks have when it comes to spreading the word about the GAA and what it is about. They have a vested interest in discussing the GAA at a national level only, yet we all live and breath the game from the club level up. These hoors want more an more inter county activity spread out across the year so that they can fill the back pages solely keep their positions secure. Very few have the best interests of the whole GAA family or its ethos in their conscience before they put pen to paper. Yet so many hang on their every word
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bottlethrower7

I'm sure this is all tactical by Humphries. No doubt he knows the '08 panel will triumph in this eventually, he'll be seen amongst their ranks as an ally, and will get himself first dibs on any future scoops that might happen.

Or am I giving him too much credit?

I saw Tom out at the Fitzgibbon cup there on friday. No doubt he was aghast at the thoughts of a spotty imposter like Tadgh Og Murphy taking to the same field as a hero like Shane O'Neill. A tyro sullying an event graced by a member of one of the greatest teams of our age. I'm surprised Tom didn't walk out in disgust.

bingobus

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 09, 2009, 12:10:01 PM
I'm sure this is all tactical by Humphries. No doubt he knows the '08 panel will triumph in this eventually, he'll be seen amongst their ranks as an ally, and will get himself first dibs on any future scoops that might happen.

Or am I giving him too much credit?

I saw Tom out at the Fitzgibbon cup there on friday. No doubt he was aghast at the thoughts of a spotty imposter like Tadgh Og Murphy taking to the same field as a hero like Shane O'Neill. A tyro sullying an event graced by a member of one of the greatest teams of our age. I'm surprised Tom didn't walk out in disgust.

Maybe he was there as a protest....was Des Bishop with him?

INDIANA

Ger should resign at this stage for his own sake. simply for his own dignity. I heard he's getting a fair bit of abuse by the public down there in public. I can't see Frank surviving either. He went out on a limb for Ger, and as a result wouldn't have any credibility left. Croke Park I think are going to remove him if he doesn't go. Christy cooney doesn;t want his presidency destroyed by someting going on in his neck of the woods.
There is no winners out of this on either side. The question is whether Cork Gaa can reform itself into the county board structure similar to elsewhere. Or whether the legacy of bitterness will extend over a number of years into more factions. I think it will take a number of years on/off the field to recover from this.

Bottlethrower- Conor O Sullivan was there as well another spotty imposter of a Junior C player. Cleaned out 3 inter county corner forwards. Not bad for an imposter.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on March 09, 2009, 12:17:31 PM
Ger should resign at this stage for his own sake. simply for his own dignity. I heard he's getting a fair bit of abuse by the public down there in public. I can't see Frank surviving either. He went out on a limb for Ger, and as a result wouldn't have any credibility left. Croke Park I think are going to remove him if he doesn't go. Christy cooney doesn;t want his presidency destroyed by someting going on in his neck of the woods.
There is no winners out of this on either side. The question is whether Cork Gaa can reform itself into the county board structure similar to elsewhere. Or whether the legacy of bitterness will extend over a number of years into more factions. I think it will take a number of years on/off the field to recover from this.

Bottlethrower- Conor O Sullivan was there as well another spotty imposter of a Junior C player. Cleaned out 3 inter county corner forwards. Not bad for an imposter.

yep, and Brian Corry also. Actually it looked to me that the spotty imposters played better than the lads they were impostering. Cathal Naughton for example, wasn't very good at all.

If I was McCarthy I'd do a Teddy Holland on it. I'd wait til I was removed, on a point of principle. I think its inevitable that he'll go, eventually, but it'd be kicking and screaming if it were me in his position.

Reillers

After all of this has happened, and people continue to look for excuses, unbelievable.

Here's where the genuine posters get seperated with the ones who were just simply looking to have something to bitch about.
The genuine ones would be happy a decision was made within the clubs and that the end was near in sight, the not so genuine ones are the ones who are looking for any reason to downgrade this just to bitch and whine..and I think I have my answer with most on here.

The players sat in front of the clubs, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only true voice in Cork GAA.
Now if any of ye were even remotely involved with the clubs over the years in Cork you'd know full well that they haven't had a voice for a very long time.

And especially since 2002, not to mention the Rule 42 business, it was obvious that at some point they would hop on a collision course.
The players let the clubs decide this one, it was simple, nothing to do with the GPA, of course that's an excuse out there from one of the pro CB posters, clawing for a reason to degrade what's happened.
The clubs could have done 2 things one, probably the easiest, without question the easiest, nothing. Like they have done for years, and the players would have went and disband, like they said they would, or finally stand up for themselves.
The playresmet the clubs in the first meeting and for a good half an hour or so all the clubs did was vent their anger, pure hate, at the CB. The same thing happened at Clon.
Now the CB have made their bed and Gerald, as a by product of that, after being used as a pawn like it was said he would, chose which side to lie on.
It's a pity, I might not agree with him getting or staying in the job but some of the abuse that he's been getting from so called Cork fans are a disgrace. He deserves more respect then that.
But I fail to see him as a full victim either. The writting was on the walls and as clear as day to say.

I hope it's not too late, what the clubs have done. I hope it's not and Cork GAA can rebuild itself.
If FM goes and we get a good manager in, anything is possible. And Indianna FM didn't go out on a limb for Ger, he doesn't go out on a limb for anyone, only himself, keeping Gerald in the job was purely so HE, FM, could get his way.

Too many people have gotten hurt in this.
Gerald,
The 09 players, who also knew full well what they were getting themselves into.
The 08 players, like it or not they got abuse thrown at them for months and months and still stuck with it, stuck with what they believed.
And some of the CB men, who are good GAA lads, but have been blackened by association.

What happens now, I don't know, the CB could easily do nothing on the next CB meeting.
The suggestion of forming a new selection board is one thing, but I don't know if the players will agree to it because they did not want to be on the selection commitee the last time and they made that crystal clear but they were forced to because of arbitration. I don't think and the players feel the very same that a player has any business selecting a manager, now with what happened with Gerald, that was not on having a say on who was selected, it was against the way in which he was reappointed, something no one on here has come to justify yet.
And it's not a position that the players want to be put in again.

But it's the clubs call at the end of the day.

Too long have we been put on mute.Whatever about the IC players, the clubs have been strangled by the CB for a very long time, it was only a matter of time
before we got united and worked against them. The CCB cannot ignore us forever.

Anyone who has worked with these players have had nothing but good thing to say, that includes the likes of Donal O Grady, John Allen..etc.
But after all of this people are still trying to make FM look like the good guy. OM comment is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a long time. And still trying to make the players look like the bad ones with their own hidden agenda. I think it's time people started excepting the truth.
Every single club that held an SGMs, where the turnouts were massive, did so entirely free of any pressure from anyone and in a lot of cases the votes were secret ballots, and they brought the players back their results. Clon also meet the clubs free of the CB or players and the same thing was come out with, the backing of the players.
Not one club voted against the player motions. Not one.

I think it's about time ye stoped looking for excuses. Stoped dragging things like the GPA into this when they have feck all do with it, and except the overwhelming truth.

"When the history of Cork hurling is written Frank Murphy will take his rightfull place at the bottom of the pile."

The clubs have spoken, and for the first time in a long time, their real voice has been shown.

Oh and as for the Humphries comment, maybe he shouldn't have said it, but I think it's absolutley rich coming from people who have called the players absolutely everything under the sun and some.

theskull1

The amount of hypocricy and contradiction in your comments makes for very poor reading. A very poor and inconsistent post once again. You're excessively baised schizophrenic rantings must have everybody tired and bored at this stage I would have thoughtthough I can only speak for myself.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

What crime did the 2009 players commit only ensuring you weren't thrown out of the competition altogether. They knew what they were getting into? 3/4 of them Reillers are better than some of the 30 players , a lot better than them. Some of them are cleaning out inter county players , have won Fitzgibbon medals, are senior county champions in a top3 county and Humphries has the temerity to call them imposters and Junior C players. But thats ok, because "they knew what they were getting into".

Judging by your post it appears to me that only the 30 members of the 2008 panel have the right it seems to wear the Cork jersey at senior hurling level. Its an absolute rambling of a post.

Reillers you've directly insulted a lot of people as well, but you're quite happy to chastise people here for comments they have made, yet apply a different set of principles to yourself on comments you have made AND are quite happy to hide behind the anonymity that a message board provides you yet chastise others because they hide behind the same veil of secrecy?
You can add that as a reference for hypocrisy in any English dictionary.

m.muzzle

Quote from: Reillers on March 09, 2009, 01:03:29 PM

The players sat in front of the clubs, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only true voice in Cork GAA.
Now if any of ye were even remotely involved with the clubs over the years in Cork you'd know full well that they haven't had a voice for a very long time.

If the clubs didn't have a voice due to some/all of the delegates being in FM's pocket then why didn't the clubs have the delegate removed from their position and replace them with someone who would ensure their voice was heard at CB level?

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on March 09, 2009, 01:29:09 PM
The amount of hypocricy and contradiction in your comments makes for very poor reading. A very poor and inconsistent post once again. You're excessively baised schizophrenic rantings must have everybody tired and bored at this stage I would have thoughtthough I can only speak for myself.

And the typical nit bicking begins, sidestep what I said just to bitch. Maybe try answering the post.