West Belfast GAA Club to facilitate function for INLA Killer

Started by Minder, October 22, 2008, 01:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

I'm implying nothing, I'm asking when are unionists going to face up to what they done and stop moping in an attempt to deflect attention?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tonto

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 25, 2008, 11:49:47 PM
I'm implying nothing, I'm asking when are unionists going to face up to what they done and stop moping in an attempt to deflect attention?
Deflecting attention? "Hello, kettle? Yeah, you're black."

And there was me posting about GAA clubs in a thread about GAA clubs but suddenly you go off on one about unionists not facing up to the past.  I'm sorry but I am failing to make the link. If you have something to post make a new thread instead of changing the direction of this one.

pintsofguinness

the function is cancelled so what else is there to talk about?

So when are yous going to face up to the reality?

Bogball XV

GAA clubs and the GAA in general will to a large extent reflect the views of the people who comprise the clubs and organisation.  In that instance it is entirely understandable that gaa clubs may well honour people who you consider to be terrorists, an example would be Kevin Lynch and the hurling club named after him in Dungiven.  Imo that is a fitting tribute to a former player with the club who later died on hunger strike, we all have history, maybe if each side could learn to accept the other's instead of making issues where none should arise (not to mention making issues of hypothetical situations) we'd be better off.

Tonto

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 25, 2008, 11:57:10 PM
the function is cancelled so what else is there to talk about?

So when are yous going to face up to the reality?
I only commented on this thread on the last page when several posters were considering whether or not it would have been allowed for an IRA terrorist if it had been them who had killed Wright; so it seems that they had plenty to talk about.

Your second question is totally unrelated to this thread. Maybe you want to start a new one?

pintsofguinness

QuoteYour second question as it is totally unrelated to this thread. Maybe you want to start a new one?
no there's enough political threads on here, you can just answer the question on this one.

Does talking about IRA "terrorists" make you feel better about the unionist involvement in the troubles?

maybe if each side could learn to accept the other's instead of making issues where none should arise (not to mention making issues of hypothetical situations) we'd be better off.
couldnt agree more

Tonto

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 26, 2008, 12:11:32 AM
QuoteYour second question as it is totally unrelated to this thread. Maybe you want to start a new one?
no there's enough political threads on here, you can just answer the question on this one.

Does talking about IRA "terrorists" make you feel better about the unionist involvement in the troubles?
POG, I am not going round in circles with you tonight about this.  I really don't know what you are getting at.  The Troubles was a long and complicated period in our history and unionist participation in it has no place in this thread.  This is the last comment I will make on the matter here but if you have a specific and directed question for me or unionists (rather than some broad statement about the last 40 years) you might want to start a new thread.

Goodnight.

With regards to Kevin Lynch - yes he was a former player but did he stand out enough as a sportsman to have the club named after him or was the naming of the club largely down to his extra-curricular activites?

pintsofguinness

Tonto

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 26, 2008, 12:21:54 AM
Running away.
That would imply there's something to run away from. But you aren't exactly Paxman :D

pintsofguinness

Bogball XV

Quote from: Tonto on October 26, 2008, 12:19:53 AMWith regards to Kevin Lynch - yes he was a former player but did he stand out enough as a sportsman to have the club named after him or was the naming of the club largely down to his extra-curricular activites?
Apparently he was quite handy, but the club was named after him because he died on hunger strike, the members of the club decided that would be their way of remembering and honouring the man.  The GAA doesn't have a tradition of naming clubs after their best players, nor does it happen in other codes or other countries (not going googling on this, but can't think of any off hand), however, world over you will find many sporting clubs named after historical and political people and events (again, not googling, but there's piles of them out there), probably because when the club is firs formed the players can draw inspiration from the acts of heroicism that they're called after?

carribbear

Quote from: Tonto on October 26, 2008, 12:19:53 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 26, 2008, 12:11:32 AM

POG, I am not going round in circles with you tonight about this.  I really don't know what you are getting at.  The Troubles was a long and complicated period in our history and unionist participation in it has no place in this thread.  This is the last comment I will make on the matter here but if you have a specific and directed question for me or unionists (rather than some broad statement about the last 40 years) you might want to start a new thread.

Goodnight.

With regards to Kevin Lynch - yes he was a former player but did he stand out enough as a sportsman to have the club named after him or was the naming of the club largely down to his extra-curricular activites?

Captained the Derry under 16's team to an all ireland trophy in Croke Park

Actually, check out the link and you'll probably see why he's held in such esteem in the hurling community (this was a top 15 feile na gael team from a GAA magazine a number of years back). Of course Gregory Campbell & Co will always know better....

Of course his standing around Dungiven didn't go against him either when naming the club.

Bogball XV

2 Dungiven lads on the team - holy fcuk, never knew Brolly was much of a hurler, never actually knew he played at all tbh.  Handy team that though isn't it.

Main Street

Some team that, good photo of Joe Brolly
Even Denis Irwin is in there  :)

An Fear Rua

Is this our first GaaBoard death threat?

I was hoping it might be a little bit more glamourously phrased, you know a bit more sinister and a few metaphores etc?
But all we get is swearing and text speak, I dont know, you just cant get a decent class of hardman these days..

Its Grim up North