West Belfast GAA Club to facilitate function for INLA Killer

Started by Minder, October 22, 2008, 01:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Call over INLA killer club event 

Christopher "Crip" McWilliams was a convicted double killer
Former Sports Minister Edwin Poots has called on a west Belfast GAA club to cancel a booking for a function to commemorate an INLA murderer.

The event, remembering Christopher "Crip" McWilliams, is due to be held at the St Paul's club next month.

The club committee said it was unaware of the nature of the booking when it was made and will discuss it soon.

Mr Poots said it would be damaging to the club and the wider GAA if the evening goes ahead.

"They should just cancel this booking - these sort of events are normally held in backstreet social clubs," he said.

"If somebody wants to commemorate people who engage in terrorism that's the place for it, certainly not in a sporting club."

In 1991, McWilliams, who died from cancer in June this year, shot dead a bar manager who had asked him to leave a Belfast snooker club.

Six years later, he shot and killed LVF leader Billy Wright in the Maze Prison.

A spokesman for the club committee said: "The committee was unaware of the nature of this booking when it was made by a club member.

"The committee will be discussing the booking when they next convene."

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

his holiness nb

Its a private function hiring the clubs premises so I wouldnt exactly say the GAA club is "holding" the function.

That said, now that they know what its for, and given the outcry of some idiots on the Unionist side who will be given airtime to claim the GAA is "supporting the INLA", it might be a good idea to cancel the booking.
Ask me holy bollix

magpie seanie

All i'll say is I'm glad I'm not on the committee of that club.

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Minder

Quote from: SidelineKick on October 22, 2008, 02:10:40 PM
I wonder did Gregory Campbell Poot him up to this.

Put him up to what? Asking why a Gaa Club is allowing a function for an INLA killer?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on October 22, 2008, 02:22:12 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on October 22, 2008, 02:10:40 PM
I wonder did Gregory Campbell Poot him up to this.

Put him up to what? Asking why a Gaa Club is allowing a function for an INLA killer?

I have a wee notion he was being sarcastic, that is pootiful that you reacted so Minder.

lynchbhoy

well he did kind of redeem himself by getting rid of wright  :-X

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Minder

Zapatista

Quote from: Minder on October 22, 2008, 02:47:41 PM
I hope St Pauls have the wit to cancel it.

Now that they know what it is for I hope they look at it and decide what to do by soley looking at the case and not be swayed in any way by Poots.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Zapatista on October 22, 2008, 02:50:25 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 22, 2008, 02:47:41 PM
I hope St Pauls have the wit to cancel it.

Now that they know what it is for I hope they look at it and decide what to do by soley looking at the case and not be swayed in any way by Poots.
I agree, I would hate this to be billed as 'Poots forces GAA to renege' shite

fearglasmor

Whats the surest way to get people to do something ?
Tell them they can't.

Why do people never learn.
Don't they know there are ways to get things done
And then there are ways to raise hackles.

The Iceman

Quote from: ziggysego on October 22, 2008, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 22, 2008, 02:38:17 PM
Two wrongs don't make a Wright.

I thought Billy's parents where (Norn) Irish.

very good ziggy very good

actually had a drink in his company in the red devil on the falls when I was at university

He didn't have much to say to me and it certainly isn't my claim to fame but I did get to shake his hand.  Billy Wright was an evil man and I would find it hard to ever forgive him for killing those two young lads at the shambles in armagh

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight